News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Nine configs seems like a lot. Will be interesting to see who gets tapped to produce them, and whether they are interoperable with existing cars during ramp up.
The HEP1 fleet currently consists of 9 types of car: Baggage, coach, Diner, Dome-Lounge, 3 kinds of sleeper (Chateau, Manor and Prestige) and the 2 versions of the Park-series tail end dome cars.

Considering that there is likely to be some standardization of types with the new fleet, plus the addition of the HEP2 replacements into this fleet, 9 car types sounds about right.

Dan

Is that the same number of cars currently in use on the non Corridor routes?

I did some rough calculations years ago and came up with 33 Locomotives and 253 cars for non-corridor use.There certianly could be issues with my calculations but these order quantities seem much higher.

EDIT: I should add that I didn't include the RDCs in my calculations, but that won't have that much affect.

I counted 104 Renaissance cars in the „Canadian Trackside Guide 2021“ and 154 HEP I cars, but these 258 cars include the proportion of Renaissance cars which were actually allocated to the Corridor and are now retired:

Renaissance
9 BAG
14 CLUB
31 COACH
17 SERVICE
3 DINING
27 SLEEPER
3 BAG TRANSITION

HEP I
25 Coach
29 Chateau*
40 Manor
13 Diner
15 Skyline
18 Baggage
14 Park*
*includes 8 Prestige Chateau and 4 Prestige Park

I did some rough calculations years ago and came up with 33 Locomotives and 253 cars for non-corridor use.There certianly could be issues with my calculations but these order quantities seem much higher.

EDIT: I should add that I didn't include the RDCs in my calculations, but that won't have that much affect.

I counted 104 Renaissance cars in the „Canadian Trackside Guide 2021“ and 154 HEP I cars, but these 258 cars include the proportion of Renaissance cars which were actually allocated to the Corridor and are now retired:

Renaissance
9 BAG
14 CLUB
31 COACH
17 SERVICE
3 DINING
27 SLEEPER
3 BAG TRANSITION

HEP I
25 Coach
29 Chateau*
40 Manor
13 Diner
15 Skyline
18 Baggage
14 Park*
*includes 8 Prestige Chateau and 4 Prestige Park

So, it sounds like the order is for a little more than what is currently used.. My thoughts is that is to bring back the 3rd frequency of the Canadian.

The HEP1 fleet currently consists of 9 types of car: Baggage, coach, Diner, Dome-Lounge, 3 kinds of sleeper (Chateau, Manor and Prestige) and the 2 versions of the Park-series tail end dome cars.

Considering that there is likely to be some standardization of types with the new fleet, plus the addition of the HEP2 replacements into this fleet, 9 car types sounds about right.

Dan
As a replacement for the current LD fleet maybe but I would use a sharper pencil. Each variant means smaller runs for each and a smaller pool to absorb collision or other long term maintenance absence, and being a single fleet should mean no need for transition cars (and if any are needed during ramp up, that it is the legacy cars that are adapted)

1 Baggage
2 Coach
3 Sleeper
4 Dining Car
5 Lounge with a dome, I guess.
6 Maybe an accessible Sleeper if making all Sleepers accessible gave up too much revenue space
7 Crew sleeper/bag-dorm

Even with those lesser variations these trainsets will surely dwarf what is being spent on Corridor per 85 feet of consist. Even more so if they aren’t a joint venture with Amtrak. Perhaps VIA have gotten the idea that if they propose something expensive enough, the Tories will allow them to get out of the LD business entirely and let Rocky run whatever seems profitable.

As a replacement for the current LD fleet maybe but I would use a sharper pencil. Each variant means smaller runs for each and a smaller pool to absorb collision or other long term maintenance absence, and being a single fleet should mean no need for transition cars (and if any are needed during ramp up, that it is the legacy cars that are adapted)

1 Baggage
2 Coach
3 Sleeper
4 Dining Car
5 Lounge with a dome, I guess.
6 Maybe an accessible Sleeper if making all Sleepers accessible gave up too much revenue space
7 Crew sleeper/bag-dorm

Even with those lesser variations these trainsets will surely dwarf what is being spent on Corridor per 85 feet of consist. Even more so if they aren’t a joint venture with Amtrak. Perhaps VIA have gotten the idea that if they propose something expensive enough, the Tories will allow them to get out of the LD business entirely and let Rocky run whatever seems profitable.
That would require the government walking away from the remote communities service. I think as UrbanSky has shown us, none of them outside of the corridor are 'profitable', which is probably consistent with many other inter-city services.

Curious why they would need a crew car. I don't think it is something VIA has ever had. I understand Amtrak uses them, but I would imagine it would entail a complete re-working of collective agreements.

Curious why they would need a crew car. I don't think it is something VIA has ever had. I understand Amtrak uses them, but I would imagine it would entail a complete re-working of collective agreements.

VIA has always had crew accommodations - by simply allocating one or more sleeper cars to crew use. And/or, by allocating a roomette to the attendant for that car (in the bad old days, sleeping car porters only had a small pull-down seat in the aisle, although many were astute enough to grab a seat in the old mens’ smoking lounge, or a vacant section, in the wee hours when no one would notice).
To my mind a dedicated space may be more suitable as there may be different space requirements for stowage of supplies, crew bags, etc.

- Paul

Back