News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I have said before, and will say again, the Canadian should terminate in Winnipeg. It should leave 12 hours later.

Something I have been thinking, what is the most frequent service that could be offered on that route without needing new rolling stock?
I mean the Canadian train.
That line, do they have more of the same rolling stock that could be used to increase frequency or would new(er) rolling stock be needed?
I suggest the 12 hour layover in Winnipeg so that it can arrive in Vancouver and Toronto closer to the time on their schedule.
Okay, so you want to basically keep the Canadian, but add a buffer in Winnipeg to make sure that it leaves it without delay? The problem is that the current fleet limits the Canadian to four consists (for instance, I read somewhere online that there are only four Prestige Park cars and that there are only two spare diners during the peak period). Therefore, any additional buffer built into the schedule at Winnipeg will go at the expense of the turn-around time at either end (Toronto or Vancouver).

The question is whether whatever problem you are trying to solve is still that much of an issue ever since VIA changed its schedule on July 26, which (among other positive effects) dramatically reduced the occurrence of late arrivals of Train 2 delaying the departure of Train 1 in Toronto:
1543895452215.png

Note: year-to-date figures for 2018.
Compiled with data obtained from: VIA Rail's website

Also, the absence of a third weekly frequency east of Edmonton during the 2019 summer season allows to increase the buffer times between train arrival and departure at Toronto and Vancouver further:
1544014639595.png

Note: trains in grey only operate during the summer season (usually: end-April to mid-October).

Last edited:
Okay, so you want to basically keep the Canadian, but add a buffer in Winnipeg to make sure that it leaves it without delay? The problem is that the current fleet limits the Canadian to four consists (for instance, I read somewhere online that there are only four Prestige Park cars and that there are only two spare diners during the peak period). Therefore, any additional buffer built into the schedule at Winnipeg will go at the expense of the turn-around time at either end (Toronto or Vancouver).

The question is whether whatever problem you are trying to solve is still that much of an issue ever since VIA changed its schedule on July 26, which (among other positive effects) dramatically reduced the occurrence of late arrivals of Train 2 delaying the departure of Train 1 in Toronto:
View attachment 166028
Note: year-to-date figures for 2018.

Also, the absence of a third weekly frequency east of Edmonton during the 2019 summer season allows to increase the buffer times between train arrival and departure at Toronto and Vancouver further:
View attachment 166048
Note: trains in grey only operate during the summer season (usually: end-April to mid-October).

If I had it my way, the turn around time in Vancouver or Toronto would still be the same, just 12 hours later than now. In Winnipeg, yes, have that 12 hour buffer to keep it as on time as possible. However, if the current schedule has fixed the huge delays that can happen, then it is not needed.

I’m dubious that a stop in the north GTA would build much business for VIA. When I have rode the Canadian, the clientelle mostly ran to ‘cruise’ tourists who needed to connect to airlines, other VIA trains, or who planned on laying over in a downtown hotel. A north GTA stop benefitted very few.
When you consider that the Canadian runs to 20+ cars in summer.... ie longer than any GO platform... and when you consider that GO stations have no amenities to handle checked baggage, let alone VIA ticketing and checkin, I can’t see this idea as helping current customers or adding business.
I would feel differently if a ‘Northlander’ service to Huntsville and beyond ever got off the ground, as there might be convenience for some customers to not have to backtrack to/from Union. But for the Canadian.... I just can’t see it.

- Paul

Langstaff does seem like a more logical stop than Bloomington. I just feel that there be at least one more stop in the GTA. If... and whenever the Northlander returns, Longstaff should also be a stop.
VIA in the GTA includes Toronto-Union, Oakville, Aldershot, Brampton, Scarborough... and I think that's it?

One from the north clearly makes sense, at least on a map, although, that's still ony 3x trains/week either direction too and not likely to increase much. Reintallment of the ON Northland could help though.

VIA in the GTA includes Toronto-Union, Oakville, Aldershot, Brampton, Scarborough... and I think that's it?

One from the north clearly makes sense, at least on a map, although, that's still ony 3x trains/week either direction too and not likely to increase much. Reintallment of the ON Northland could help though.
You forgot Oshawa.

Malton.
I have overheard the Service Manager radioing the head end to say they actually need to stop there today.
“We do? Seriously? Okay, cool”
Suspect it isn’t an everyday occurrence.

- Paul

Malton.
I have overheard the Service Manager radioing the head end to say they actually need to stop there today.
“We do? Seriously? Okay, cool”
Suspect it isn’t an everyday occurrence.

- Paul
I have used Via to from Brampton on many occasions (although not for a long time) and have never witnessed a stop at Malton......so, no, not an every day thing ?

I have used Via to from Brampton on many occasions (although not for a long time) and have never witnessed a stop at Malton......so, no, not an every day thing ?
I can see the Malton station being moved to Woodbine should Etobicoke North get moved. Especially so, if the UPX also stops at Woodbine.

Back