News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

while I do reallly like the new VIA livery, I agree and Im so glad we got the special nose cone, as the Amtrak ones look like a botched nose job.

Agreed. I said this before too. Was really hoping they got something like or closer to Brightline. Glad to see this nose. It's stupid and petty but when you're trying to convince a public with little experience of riding trains in Canada, every little bit helps.

From the same source as the VIA update deck - here is an interesting presentation about the rollout of the Chargers in the Midwest.

The point of note is that after initial rollout, multiple grade crossing incidents were encountered that led to damage which challenged the repair capabilities of the manufacturer and operators of the locomotives.

This is good learning for VIA - The nose is where the most damage from grade crossing mishaps and winter drift-busting will happen....hopefully the lessons already learned have been applied to the VIA version.

- Paul

I think it's because of the plow and coupler. VIA has to use these way more than the rest.

Agreed. Brightline almost never needs to couple trains together, so they put a cowling over the coupler. VIA has several trains that operate as split service and even a coupled deadhead (an empty trainset coupled to the back of a scheduled train).

From the same source as the VIA update deck - here is an interesting presentation about the rollout of the Chargers in the Midwest.

The point of note is that after initial rollout, multiple grade crossing incidents were encountered that led to damage which challenged the repair capabilities of the manufacturer and operators of the locomotives.

This is good learning for VIA - The nose is where the most damage from grade crossing mishaps and winter drift-busting will happen....hopefully the lessons already learned have been applied to the VIA version.

- Paul

Interesting. Brightline also had several grade crossing incidents. I wonder if they had similar issues or if Amtrak's blunt nose is more prone to major damage than Brightline's streamlined nose?

It also sounds like another issue is Amtrak initially decided to take on repairing the chargers, but then decided not to do major repairs and decided to outsource it to Siemens, who, not expecting this work, decided to outsource it to a third party. I beleive VIA has contracted Siemens to do the maintenance, so hopefully this won't be as big an issue.

Also, hopefully we won't have as many grade crossing incidents.

The HFR fan in me notes the dotted line for the potential HFR route between Toronto-Smiths Falls.

1615233391354.png

My apologies for the lack of responsiveness lately, but I'm on paternity leave currenty and therefore have slightly different priorities at the moment... :)

Perhaps we should move the fantasy HFR discussions to another thread! :)
Any project can fold anytime before it's funded (and even after that), but if a project which has received auxiliary funding in several consecutive federal budgets and received a recommendation for final approval by the federal parliament's transport committee is a "fantasy", then arguably every single streetcar, light rail or subway you ever rode in this country was a fantasy - until the project was funded and under construction...

Seriously though ... this is a Toronto forum, not a rail forum. One thread for inter-city national rail service is more than enough.
I also wonder what business discussions about restoring daily train service to Sudbury, Western Canada or Vancouver Island have on Urban Toronto (and this thread in particular), but that's where certain commenters in this thread insist to have them...^^

Once you reflect on the geographic scope of what might be called "Urban Toronto" (presumably the GTHA?), there is hardly any VIA service which would fit the description - maybe the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls (though that continues as an Amtrak-train to NYC), but already the Toronto-London trains 80/81/82/83/85/88 would be kind of a stretch, which makes you wonder what "VIA Rail" discussions actually do fit into this thread on Urban Toronto. As it happens, SkyriseCities (i.e. the parent forum of Urban Toronto) has a "Transportation and Infrastructure" section for its Canada page, but it has yet to see a single thread:

1615231527484.png

Respectfully, my impression of your agenda in trying to separate the VIA discussion is to have one thread that speaks to “All the great things ViA is doing and has in the works and has gotten right” and a different thread for “what are the risks and deficiencies and things in passenger rail that ought to change”. Apparently voicing the latter is somehow inappropriate or of lesser concern?

I don’t consider the question of “How should VIA structure its Lakeshore service post-HfR” to be a fantasy discussion. Nor is “What ought to happen next after HFR launches”. Those questions have no mandated answer yet, but they are meaningful to get our heads around. We may be spectators and not professionals or decisionmakers, but isn’t that what public forums are for?

In my experience strategy generally involves exploration of strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities. Personally, I’m a lot more interested in discussing the strategy and execution of strategy around rail passenger especially in Ontario, than just observing on models of trains etc. As to execution, that discussion always starts with identifying risks. It’s not a constructive discussion if we are obliged to assume that VIA and Ottawa have figured everything out and nothing might be done differently and nothing will go wrong.

Admittedly, some of the discussions get loopy, and because nothing changes quickly in this space, we often circle back into topics that have been beaten to death before. I do try to stay focused. But if challenging anything status quo means jumping to another thread....

- Paul
I was only sharing into @robmausser's sentiment that discussing things which are happening or will happen along side with things which are (currently, and for the foreseeable future) impossible to happen is exhausting and fruitless. This doesn't necessarily mean that we shouldn't have both types of discussions, but I believe that if we discuss in a thread dedicated to a particular railroad (be it VIA, Metrolinx or ONR), we need to be clear whether what we would like it to do is actually within its managerial discretion or not. And that's why having certain discussions resurfacing here every single month and needing to re-establish again and again (with a commenter who has blocked me!) that expanding and investing into its Corridor services over its non-Corridor networks is not a testament of indifference or even deliberate neglect of the proportion of Canadians which live outside the Corridor, but simply a consequence of VIA having a very narrow mandate within which it has to allocate its efforts and funding.

Don't get me wrong: I would love to analyze the service concept @micheal_can has presented here a few dozen pages ago [edit: he actually shared it on Skyscraper Page, not here] and to demonstrate to him that his fleet requirements would easily exceed those of the current Corridor fleet renewal, before working out with him how we can scale down the ambition while identifying a few incremental steps of what could actually happen anytime soon (I could see ONR operating a daily Toronto-North Bay-Sudbury service, with full integration into ONR's bus network). However, as someone who has first-hand knowledge of what limits the actions VIA might pursue, I will not actively encourage any discussions in this thread which ignore or deny these limitations, because certain commenters here have demonstrated again and again their unwillingness or inability to distinguish between the things which we might be able to see VIA doing and those which are simply impossible for VIA to do (regardless of how much they might want to do them)...

That said, there can’t be any doubt that this thread is of course the most appropriate place for any discussion about the future of VIA's Lakeshore (or any other existing) services post-HFR! I'm just increasingly annoyed that you seem to be only willing to discuss VIA's ability to maintain meaningful service on the Kingston Sub against CN's own priorities as a hidden cost of HFR, when the need for additional infrastructure upgrades in the Kingston subdivision should be mitigated and not exacerbated by post-HFR Lakeshore service. Maybe you've softened your stance in the meanwhile, but that was my impression...

Interesting analysis, even if it is a strawman argument. You said, "for the segment you want to bypass (i.e. De Beaujeu to Smiths Falls)" yet I never said anything about De Beaujeu. In fact, I said:

[quote truncated due to character limitations]

Since strawman arguments seem so popular on this forum, I will say this again, none of this is feasible until there is demand for at least 15 trains a day on each of the Toronto-Montreal, Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal routes and VIA has the money to upgrade HFR to HSR.
Rather than shouting "Strawman argument! Strawman argument!", you might want to ask yourself how someone could have possibly gotten the (apparently wrong) impression that you were talking about Montreal-Ottawa trains taking the Alexandria Subdivision all the way west of De Beaujeu: If I may direct your attention at the map you've posted just above your initial mention of a bypass around Ottawa:

1615235989145.png

Just to be sure: I'm well aware of the potential for a connection between the Alexandria and Winchester Subdivisions at Moose Creek and Monkland, as it was a prominent feature in the maps about the VIA Fast and Ecotrain E-300 alignments I’ve shared here multiple times and which were the inspiration for a "Montreal-Ottawa Higher Speed Rail proposal" I outlined in my Bachelor Thesis:
1615236495430.png

Other than that, you seem to ignore that the higher your average speed, the higher the per-km construction costs of rail infrastructure and the less time you save with every km you shorten a train's route, which makes it increasingly difficult to justify that expense to only benefit a minority of trains serving this particular HSR corridor (i.e. only those trains which run around the bypassed city).

In any case, I challenge you to find any example of a city of a comparable size and importance as Ottawa being bypassed by a HSR line which is almost 100 km long and runs 40+ km away from the bypassed city and doesn't serve anything on its route. Have a look at Lyon (less than half the size of Ottawa and negligible political importance) and you might see that building a bypass around that city (while serving its airport on the way!) was much more compelling than bypassing Ottawa along the Winchester Subdivision will ever be:
1615237276073.png

That's it from me probably for another week, but I hope that I succeeded this time in not offending anyone... ;)

Last edited:
Why have you shown the abandoned ROW for the M&O Subdivision through Vankleek Hill as owned by CP Rail. Did VIA Rail dispose of it?
I wasn’t aware back then that it is owned by VIA, but to the best of my knowledge, it was only acquired by VIA after it was abandoned by CP...

I wasn’t aware back then that it is owned by VIA, but to the best of my knowledge, it was only acquired by VIA after it was abandoned by CP...
Something like that ... back in the 1980s I think. I haven't heard much about it since the 1990s.

There a lot happening on that map. Where is that spur?
From Hudson in Quebec, most of the way to Ottawa.

From Hudson in Quebec, most of the way to Ottawa.

Not most of the way, but all the way. VIA's wye just east of Ottawa Station as well as some of their final approach into the station is along the old Montreal and Ottawa railway (later to become CPR's M&O sub) as shown in the map below (M&O ROW (in red) curtesy of the Ontario Railway Map Collection).

M&O Sub.png

Last edited:
My apologies for the lack of responsiveness lately, but I'm on paternity leave currenty and therefore have slightly different priorities at the moment... :)

Congratulations! That is totally understandable. I am sure you are also lacking sleep at the moment.
Rather than shouting "Strawman argument! Strawman argument!", you might want to ask yourself how someone could have possibly gotten the (apparently wrong) impression that you were talking about Montreal-Ottawa trains taking the Alexandria Subdivision all the way west of De Beaujeu:

I apologise. There are many strawman arguments on here and it seemed as though that was another one.

If I may direct your attention at the map you've posted just above your initial mention of a bypass around Ottawa:

View attachment 304323

If you take another look at that map, it only shows the ROW owned by VIA plus the likely HFR route. The Winchester Sub west of De Beaujeu is conspicuously missing (Hint, I intentionally deleted it).

Other than that, you seem to ignore that the higher your average speed, the higher the per-km construction costs of rail infrastructure and the less time you save with every km you shorten a train's route, which makes it increasingly difficult to justify that expense to only benefit a minority of trains serving this particular HSR corridor (i.e. only those trains which run around the bypassed city).

That is why I said it would only be done when demand is high enough to justify it and the bypass would be made as short as feasible to minimize those costs (even if it makes the total distance traveled a bit longer).

In any case, I challenge you to find any example of a city of a comparable size and importance as Ottawa being bypassed by a HSR line which is almost 100 km long and runs 40+ km away from the bypassed city and doesn't serve anything on its route.

Considering bypasses could be much less than "100 km long" and could be much less than than "40+ km away" (there are many options but it could easily be less than 50km long and less than 20km from Ottawa Station if you wanted to keep it short to minimize construction and maintenance costs), that seems like a needlessly demanding challenge. Having said that, have a look at the German ICE route from Hamburg to Munich, a 250-280km/h bypass was built around Frankfurt (which is bigger than Ottawa), that is about 85 km as the crow flies (though rail maps show the actual route to be longer) and about 68 km east of Frankfurt (using the route shown on Google Maps).

ICEtracks

Classical geographer, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Have a look at Lyon (less than half the size of Ottawa and negligible political importance) and you might see that building a bypass around that city (while serving its airport on the way!) was much more compelling than bypassing Ottawa along the Winchester Subdivision will ever be:
View attachment 304325

Not really a fair comparison as the TGV is aligned to travel straight through Lyon, so significantly more track would be needed to circle around the city rather than cut the corner. If the plan was to use the M&O sub, then maybe it would be more comparable, but with the Alexandra sub, there is a triangle that can be cut off somewhere (once again, not necessarily to create the shortest route overall, but to shorten the length of the bypass required).

Not most of the way, but all the way. VIA's wye just east of Ottawa Station as well as some of their final approach into the station is along the old Montreal and Ottawa railway (later to become CPR's M&O sub) as shown in the map below (M&O ROW (in red) curtesy of the Ontario Railway Map Collection).
Excellent!

I was trying to check quite what happened in the west on the Canadian Railway Atlas - but it doesn't seem to want to load for me this week.

Back