News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^^^The question is (as @andrewmaps said), how many REM trains will it to take to absorb all the people on a Mascouche Line train? I could see it easily taking 5 or more REM trains. Don't forget the REM trains won't be empty when they arrive at Côte-de-Liesse.
Yeah, that's definitely an interesting question. For northbound/eastbound Exo departures, I figure that passengers will be fairly spread-out among different REM trains as people won't all aim to arrive at the station exactly the same number of minutes before scheduled departure. The big question, like @andrewmaps said, is the westbound/southbound transfer.

The good news is that since that transfer is not cross-platform, passengers will be somewhat spread-out by the train doors and station stairways, since people will take different amounts of time to exit the train, and different amounts of time to reach a stairwell. With REM service every 2.5 minutes, the passengers probably wouldn't all arrive at the REM platform in advance of the same REM train. But I doubt the spread would be more than 3 trains.

I expect that the Exo trains will be smaller than they used to be, given that the transfer will indeed dissuade some ridership compared to the old fast and direct route (though it's still better than a 36-minute detour around the mountain). The old train sizes also included space for people from Canora and Mont-Royal stations, who no longer need to ride Exo at all.

^After fact-checking myself further, it seems I was not correct. Reading backwards, it seems that YDS was talking up the HFR well before November 2016. See here and, even further back, here (EDIT: and back in November 2015, here)

Five years and counting.

- Paul

PPS - Two further bits of history and I'm not going further down the Memory Subdivision trackage. Here's an interview with YDS in the Star from April 2015 broaching the HFR idea. And, the March 2016 Federal Budget pg 107:

VIA Rail has developed a proposal for a high-frequency rail service within the Windsor-Quebec City corridor that could see VIA Rail operate on dedicated tracks exclusive to its services. This could permit increased service frequencies, improved on-time performance and reduced trip times. Budget 2016 proposes to provide $3.3 million over three years to Transport Canada to support an in-depth assessment of VIA Rail’s high-frequency rail proposal.

Three milion became many million, and here we wait....

- Paul

Last edited:
It seems like not all corridor trains are LRC since I am currently on Train 71 to Windsor and it's an all HEP consist.

Looks like they didnt replace the seats on all of the rebuilt cars to match the LRC's but they did change it to split 50/50 forward back facing.

Back