News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's used to store 82/83.
Interesting story, I rode on #71 to Windsor with the plan of flying home on AirCanad but the flight was cancelled due to weather, so instead I ended up taking #78 home, and we hit some big mounds of gravel which got kicked up on the cars, and they had to stop to do an inspection. Then later they hit a tree and it took out some of the headlights so when we got to London someone came and replaced them on the platform. I didnt know that they have a mechanic on staff at London, or maybe he drove out from Toronto but I dont think he would have made it in time.

Also because i bought my ticket at the last minute, they didn't have meals for me in Business class until London, does that mean that the train from Toronto brought the meals to London? or the catering company delivered it to London? What if the train from Toronto got delayed and we got there first, there would be no meals?

I also must say that they did an excellent job rebuilding those HEP II cars, the AC was cold and the ride was not as rough as it use to be. The only thing was that the was interesting was that the bogie bolster makes a lot of creaking noises as the train moves. I dont know if that's because the car was fresh out of rebuild.

Also because i bought my ticket at the last minute, they didn't have meals for me in Business class until London, does that mean that the train from Toronto brought the meals to London? or the catering company delivered it to London? What if the train from Toronto got delayed and we got there first, there would be no meals?
Given that train 78 is scheduled to leave London 13 minutes before train 75 is scheduled to arrive (19:42 vs. 19:55), I would assume that your meal already was at the station in London by the time your last-minute booking reached VIA...

Pre-COVID, metal boxes containing meal trays were loaded onto 71 in the morning in the galley of car 3. The service manager would unload these boxes in London. Meals, chocolates, and snack mixes are loaded onto trains in London by station staff as needed. The same thing happens in Kingston.

Is there a reason why track 3 in London is not in use? Do they not need that track?
Not at this time since limit service that is through service these days. When ridership return to VIA and service is restore for all routes, then the track will be use again. Would see trains sitting at platform 2 in the past out of service.

I caught 72 on platform 1 and 71 used platform 3 on Tuesday

Not at this time since limit service that is through service these days. When ridership return to VIA and service is restore for all routes, then the track will be use again. Would see trains sitting at platform 2 in the past out of service.

I caught 72 on platform 1 and 71 used platform 3 on Tuesday
When I passed bye on Wednesday the detailer was in place and the tracks looked unused with ties missing.

I guess they could have removed the derailer.

Also why do they move 71 from after the passengers get off, and then when the train departs again they have to move the train again. I didn't see them hooking it up to shore power so that's not the reason.

The announcement is coming in Trois Rivieres.
It will more than likely concern the 'first phase' of work that was funded in the budget.

If there is an election in the fall and the liberals loose, I highly doubt that the PC's would back the project. At the same time I have my doubts that Erin O'Toole will be elected Prime Minister.

Very unlikely anyone would back out of this first investment. Whether the rest of the 'project' comes to fruition is a different question, under any government.
The Minister mentions in the piece that this would have to happen (the whole of HFR) over many phases, over time. So it sounds like this, at best, will be chunked out in bite-sized pieces every year or two.
We will have to wait and see.

^ One would hope this would add motivation the Peterborough MP (and Minister) to have an announcement for the 'chunk/bite-sized piece' through/to/from her riding...

The announcement is coming in Trois Rivieres.
It will more than likely concern the 'first phase' of work that was funded in the budget.

Very unlikely anyone would back out of this first investment. Whether the rest of the 'project' comes to fruition is a different question, under any government.
The Minister mentions in the piece that this would have to happen (the whole of HFR) over many phases, over time. So it sounds like this, at best, will be chunked out in bite-sized pieces every year or two.
We will have to wait and see.
What's the point of building a dead end rail line to Peterborough and then cancelling the rest of the project? If anything the whole thing would get cancelled.

The concervative opposition has been dead set against the spending going on with the current government and promising to cancel projects to win votes is for sure their strategy.

Or they may sell it to private investors and let them roll with it.

Back