News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You know what would incentivize a proper High Speed Rail line between Toronto and Montreal? A joint Olympic Games bid.

Get it done by 2032!
youre not wrong with that notion. The Pan Am games got the UPX built. who knows what the olympics will bring!

Last edited:
I suppose there is some sense in spreading the pain, infrastructure spending, debts, you name it. But I really can't get behind any bid with the IOC the way it is. Even though I can forsee some positives for the corridor if this were to actually come to fruition.

Last edited:
I’m also skeptical of the actual net value of these bids - Montreal’s Olympic Stadium was not a happy story - but the reality is, the 76 Olympics generated a lot of highway construction that has served Montreal well.

Maybe this is what it takes to get infrastructure built - if so, that’s not good government at work, but if it provides the impetus to get HFR off the ground I will take it.

- Paul

I’m also skeptical of the actual net value of these bids - Montreal’s Olympic Stadium was not a happy story - but the reality is, the 76 Olympics generated a lot of highway construction that has served Montreal well.

Maybe this is what it takes to get infrastructure built - if so, that’s not good government at work, but if it provides the impetus to get HFR off the ground I will take it.

- Paul

I would hope that would be the push to go beyond HFR and built proper HSR along the same general corridor.

You know what would incentivize a proper High Speed Rail line between Toronto and Montreal? A joint Olympic Games bid.

Get it done by 2032!
I would hope that would be the push to go beyond HFR and built proper HSR along the same general corridor.
If you are lucky, construction for HSR would have started by 2032. The times where you could plan and build major infrastructure within the planning horizon of an Olympic bid are long gone - and that’s not just in Canada, but in any democratic country with Environmental Assessments and democratic participation in the planning process:

Did VIA ever serve exhibition station? I have seen photos of CN serving the old station near Dufferin. But was that ever used by VIA?

I don't believe so, as far as I know the old station was only ever served by the commuter and Hamilton services, as thin on the ground as they were before GO.

GO didn't offer regular Exhibition Station service until the mid 1990s, when the tunnel and elevators were installed and the overhead bridge removed. Only then too was there access to Liberty Village to the north. The station was only for the CNE and other special events for many years; it only used the Dufferin Street platforms until 1970 or so. Until sometime in the 1980s, GO staffed every station with ticket collectors before it went POP.

The corridor between Havelock and Perth would be be very difficult to convert to HSR. If you could build a straightish line through it easily they would have done so in Victorian times. It would take years and billions.

Back