News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe the VIA attendant notify the control center to inform Metrolinx that VIA passengers will be traveling from X to Y today and is only valid for the next two hours?
In what kind of circumstances would that be useful or necessary?

Or again: what is the problem you are trying to fix?

Last edited:
This web post originates with an enthusiast who has been diligently pursuing the outcome of the teardown and compression testing on VIA’s legacy fleet. VIA has released a certain amount of information about the test results to this individual. While this source is unofficial I take their report as substantially accurate.and authoritative.
To summarize their summary:
- VIA’s testing has revealed some aging issues with the fleet, but the cars tested have held up well so far and the more extreme tests have produced favourable results
- Engineering simulations have suggested that buffer cars do provide an increment to safety
- Many, but possibly not all of the structural issues can be managed through VIA’s teardown and inspection program
- More to come ie more types of cars must be tested and the results analysed

it’s informative to read this report as it does articulate much of what the tests have been about. clearly VIA is not yet out of the woods yet, and buffer cars will be with us for a while yet.

- Paul

Last edited:
“Show any VIA ticket and ride any Lakeshore East GO train for free?”

The devil is in the details or how would you as GO prevent that passengers book VIA tickets and refund them minutes later just to ride your train for free?

Anyone looking to ride go for free is more likely to simply board the train without buying a ticket and take the risk of being caught. Or on weekends buy the $10 weekend pass and not activate until they are fare checked (not as viable now that weekend passes expire after a week). Via fares cost way more than go fares why would someone attempt that?

In the air travel industry in the event of a delay the airline can issue vouchers or passes for travel on the substitute airline. Via can issue a voucher to passengers for use on go and/or have via operations centre notify go operations that passengers with a ticket for trip x can ride for free.

“Show any VIA ticket and ride any Lakeshore East GO train for free?”

The devil is in the details or how would you as GO prevent that passengers book VIA tickets and refund them minutes later just to ride your train for free?
Anyone looking to ride go for free is more likely to simply board the train without buying a ticket and take the risk of being caught. Or on weekends buy the $10 weekend pass and not activate until they are fare checked (not as viable now that weekend passes expire after a week). Via fares cost way more than go fares why would someone attempt that?

In the air travel industry in the event of a delay the airline can issue vouchers or passes for travel on the substitute airline. Via can issue a voucher to passengers for use on go and/or have via operations centre notify go operations that passengers with a ticket for trip x can ride for free.

Why are you guys overcomplicating this? Like @nfitz said, it would be just like the agreement that GO already has with the TTC, which seems to work fine.

If there is a major unplanned service disruption on a GO line, GO Transit contacts the TTC and invokes the agreement. So for the duration of the disruption on the GO line, TTC staff accept GO Transit proof of payment. The inverse is true when the subway shuts down unexpectedly. For example, one time I was heading west on Line 2 and the line shut down at Jane the operator informed passengers that they were now able to ride GO Transit for free to bypass the closure, encouraging people to alight at Dundas West.

Example from Kennedy Station page on GO Transit website:
Capture.JPG

The agreement only applies while there is an major unplanned service disruption, and for the purpose of avoiding that disruption. There are very few people who will think "oh boy there's a major service disruption, let me go buy and refund a VIA ticket so I can join the chaos on the corresponding GO train!".

Last edited:
Why are you guys overcomplicating this? Like @nfitz said, it would be just like the agreement that GO already has with the TTC, which seems to work fine.

If there is a major unplanned service disruption on a GO line, GO Transit contacts the TTC and invokes the agreement. So for the duration of the disruption on the GO line, TTC staff accept GO Transit proof of payment. The inverse is true when the subway shuts down unexpectedly. For example, one time I was heading west on Line 2 and the line shut down at Jane the operator informed passengers that they were now able to ride GO Transit for free to bypass the closure, encouraging people to alight at Dundas West.

View attachment 469734

The agreement only applies while there is an major unplanned service disruption, and for the purpose of avoiding that disruption. There are very few people who will think "oh boy there's a major service disruption, let me go buy and refund a VIA ticket so I can join the chaos on the corresponding GO train!".
It was not clear to me about what situations we were talking about. If it's really just about VIA passengers detraining a stranded VIA train and continuing the journey on GO, then simply distributing them single-use GO tickets while still on board would be sufficient. If you were to tell them to just take the GO, you would now have to check with GO for which trains exactly they would wave the requirement to buy a ticket and whether they would still want to require proof of a VIA ticket...

If you were to tell them to just take the GO, you would now have to check with GO for which trains exactly they would wave the requirement to buy a ticket and whether they would still want to require proof of a VIA ticket...
I think you may be overthinking this. Which trains - any travelling the same direction. The $ we are talking about is peanuts - so why worry about the ramifications - you'd easily spend more money with wonky policy debates; and the auditor-general loves to put those in the headlines.

I think you may be overthinking this. Which trains - any travelling the same direction. The $ we are talking about is peanuts - so why worry about the ramifications - you'd easily spend more money with wonky policy debates; and the auditor-general loves to put those in the headlines.
How about making a policy that if they brought their VIA ticket (paper or e-ticket) to the ticket agent they can get a GO ticket to Union for free if their train is stranded.

I'm really wondering why we are down this rabbit hole. The number of instances where this suggestion could actually be placed into effect are next to zero. How many trains are ever stranded right at the platform of a GO station? If VIA is blocked, GO will probably be blocked also.

Can't apply in the outward direction because GO doesn't go as far as VIA.

Seems hardly worth the effort of working out a protocol. Or even noodling on what that protocol would be.

- Paul

View attachment 469734

What elevator is working for Kennedy GO Station as there are current none in place as of April 20th???

Back