News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Or could VIA own that third track exclusively?
You would have to ask CN. Anecdotally, one hears that they are not comfortable with that kind of arrangement. The GO infrastructure on CN near Hamilton and between Bramalea and Georgetown has some elements that were built for GO and the contract between GO and CN allows GO some improved rights to use of that part of the infrastructure that they have paid for.

- Paul
Without going into any specifics which could irritate any company I work (or worked) for or its suppliers (or client’s suppliers), CP seems to be much opener to such an approach than CN…

Last edited:
Without going into any specifics which could irritate any company I work (or worked) for or its suppliers (or client’s suppliers), CP seems to be much opener to such an approach than CN…
Yup. Lots of examples in the west (even if some interactions involved protracted court cases). Absence makes the heart grow stronger perhaps. Or experience makes finding a price easier, and helps set realistic expectations from both sides.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2022-06-14_140017.jpg

If VIA is allowed to lift it's federal mask/vaccine mandate/requirement before the airlines, the airlines will be kicking and screaming.
The whole Federal Transportation COVID mitigation policy needs to be updated to reflect current realities. Airports, Railways, Cruse ships etc. all have an additional burden that very few to no other developed countries currently have.
The government just announced the end of the vaccination mandates. Personally, I regret that decision (from a vaccinated passenger‘s point-of-view), but it should really make the life of the rail operators and their staff easier:

The government just announced the end of the vaccination mandates. Personally, I regret that decision (from a vaccinated passenger‘s point-of-view), but it should really make the life of the rail operators and their staff easier:
It make sense though. COVID is becoming something hospitals are starting to be able to manage. A large portion of the population is now vaccinated, symptoms are milder, and there are successful treatments available. I’d say it’s much safer now than it was at the height of the pandemic. We’ll see what the fall brings, though

It make sense though. COVID is becoming something hospitals are starting to be able to manage. A large portion of the population is now vaccinated, symptoms are milder, and there are successful treatments available. I’d say it’s much safer now than it was at the height of the pandemic. We’ll see what the fall brings, though
It absolutely makes sense, I just personally prefer to know that all the folks around me are vaccinated like myself, but it‘s always been difficult to enforce and also increasingly difficult to justify…

Last edited:
Covid is still causing staffing issues, at least at the hospital I work at (large tertiary care hospital in Toronto). A Covid+ staff has to stay away for 7 days from symptom onset.

I will continue to wear an N95 on public transit. And rail/airlines, too.

Last edited:
With friends like these....

Supposed Canadian rail advocate calling for the dissolution and privatization of VIA.

Not that such ideas shouldn't be considered. But I tend to discount anybody that mentions Brightline without understanding how much of Brightline is based on real estate development.

With friends like these....

Supposed Canadian rail advocate calling for the dissolution and privatization of VIA.

Not that such ideas shouldn't be considered. But I tend to discount anybody that mentions Brightline without understanding how much of Brightline is based on real estate development.
Interestingly, that wasn't my take-away from this article.

My impression is that he was primarily ranting about Transport Canada, and it's absolute ineptitude at managing passenger operators in general, and VIA Rail as a whole. And to a lesser degree, about the successive governments who have let this continue to happen.

Dan

I note that the Amtrak website says '2 trains' with one terminating at CBN (Canadian Border New York) and then, after an 11 minute wait you depart on train 2. Are there really two physical trains, one going to the border on one side then an 11 minute walk across the border to the other or ???

1655647922140.png

I note that the Amtrak website says '2 trains' with one terminating at CBN (Canadian Border New York) and then, after an 11 minute wait you depart on train 2. Are there really two physical trains, one going to the border on one side then an 11 minute walk across the border to the other or ???

View attachment 408375
I think it’s the same physical train. In Canada, it has always run as a VIA train (with VIA crew) for train number purposes despite it using Amtrak equipment.

I'd think now that the federal government has ended VIA's HFR project, that by getting rid of VIA, passenger rail service might improve.

Service was better when the government required, and paid, for CN and CP to operate passenger service under their name and control.

I'd prefer a VIA Rail Act and a VIA-run HFR. But dissolving VIA might be the most pragmatic solution.

I'd think now that the federal government has ended VIA's HFR project, that by getting rid of VIA, passenger rail service might improve.

Service was better when the government required, and paid, for CN and CP to operate passenger service under their name and control.

I'd prefer a VIA Rail Act and a VIA-run HFR. But dissolving VIA might be the most pragmatic solution.
Who said anything about the project being ended? Show me the press release.

Futuremore why would they allocate $491 Millon dollars for this year's budget and then cancel it? Not a good way to spend tax payers money.

Who said anything about the project being ended? Show me the press release.
The March 2022 press release shows that the project had been moved from VIA to Transport Canada. The backgrounder barely mentions VIA - and only in terms of existing operations. The website only says that VIA is only providing advice.

Didn't we have a discussion about this earlier - perhaps it was somewhere else?

Back