News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Is this not the case today?
Not really, the services are more frequent in the corridor but that doesn't mean you will get there on time. And the trains in the corridor are not nicer since the cars are almost all the same (except that the LRC's only run in the corridor) but the amenities are similar.

At this point, it is impossible to say exactly how the service will be operated.

In theory, there is nothing preventing the winner from choosing VIA to operate the service, and with their crews. It seems unlikely, but it could happen.

Dan
So the existing crews in the corridor will be out of a job? Or they can be transferred to this new organization?

I tried to purchase tickets on VIA's website for the Maple Leaf after it starts up again and It doesn't work. It does work on Amtrak's page thou, but you can't buy it if your both your home station and your destination is in Canada.

I can buy an ticket from St Catharines to NY but not from Union to Niagara Falls Canada.

So the existing crews in the corridor will be out of a job? Or they can be transferred to this new organization?
The existing corridor is supposed to continue to run at nearly the same level of service today after HFR. There will just be less express trains and more all-stops.

So will it be a battle of have and have not's where the new corridor will have the best equipment and the best travel times and everything else will be Garbage?

How do you figure? I would argue that a fully electrified TOMQ HFR should free up some rolling stock for other purposes. With more being freed up as service expands west. But ultimately, what happens with other services is up to the government, not VIA.

The Quebec ministry of transport could still have selected STM as the operator of their commuter trains, after they took them over from STM. But they didn't.

As a project within VIA rail, it's cancelled. But that wasn't really my point - which was the future of VIA Rail (as an independent company) - I suppose it could be retained as it was previously, as a branding exercise by CN.
They didn't want to, because it cost so much more per passenger than a bus. The AMT was in part created because of this, the STCUM wanted to get rid of trains, too expensive. Thus the province took over, suburbs and all.

Why does it matter? Do we care about structure or outcome?

Caring does not mean the same as opposing.

Yes, we care, because contracted arrangements have their own share of risks and pitfalls. Nothing wrong with asking if it has been done right. Accountability, line of sight, and ability to intervene quickly when change is required all are affected in P3 arrangements.

One question that matters to this poster is whether the plan erodes the lot of the workforce, who may have made past sacrifices and tradeoffs in the belief that these would contribute to VIA’s health and thus employment continuity or their own career advancement.

This doesn’t apply only to train crewing…. the proponent may bring any number of other functions - their own reservation and ticketing system, whatever. The business case for dismantling a functioning enterprise is not always good value,

(If it matters, I don’t see Alstom’s GO crews hurting, so the transition from CP/CN to BBD to Alstom may have been benign, but the workers may have their own viewpoint).

- Paul

Does Train #62 always have two first class coaches?
According to this cycling plan, #62 has the same six-car HEP-II consist (H1) every day except Saturdays (L3):
571AA453-F5B5-4F24-9B67-363E78E55474.jpeg

Last edited:

Back