News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And how likely will it be to get those crossings removed? :rolleyes:
If nobody wants to pay for grade-separating existing lines, imagine the odds of getting HSR funded - especially without the kind of frequent and semi-fast intercity rail service which preceded virtually every single successful HSR network on this planet, like these examples from Germany and the United States illustrate:
284660CF-E606-40B9-808F-6930817670CE.jpeg

Cross-post from: High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto thread

The easy solution would be to ask Metrolinx to provide GO train shuttle's to meet trains in Oshawa. Or extend the Oshawa GO train to Cobourg like they did with London. All you need is to train crews, secure track slots, add those stations to the E-ticket platform that they have for PRESTO. They would need to cross over from the GO sub to the Kingston sub somehow.

It's far more likely than bringing LRC cars out of retirement to run that train, which is not going to happen. Even with new trains in service they may not have enough equipment until more of the new fleet arrives.

The easy solution would be to ask Metrolinx to provide GO train shuttle's to meet trains in Oshawa. Or extend the Oshawa GO train to Cobourg like they did with London. All you need is to train crews, secure track slots, add those stations to the E-ticket platform that they have for PRESTO. They would need to cross over from the GO sub to the Kingston sub somehow.
They would need to skip all stops between Oshawa (VIA platforms) and Rouge Hill, as no such connection between GO Sub and Kingston Sub seems to exost…

It's far more likely than bringing LRC cars out of retirement to run that train, which is not going to happen. Even with new trains in service they may not have enough equipment until more of the new fleet arrives.
Indeed, it’s now been more than 15 months since I last worked for VIA, but I can imagine only one reason for returing LRC cars and that would be the discovery of structural damages, which must have led to the assessment that these particular cars are no longer safe to transport a single passenger…

Last edited:
LOL I love how the ad states “This new HFR subsidiary will be independent….”
and later
“ a distinct reporting and accountability structure through the Minister of Transport to Parliament”.

There’s enough oxymorons in that paragraph to confuse an elephant. Never mind the failure to mention the PMO…..

But seriously, if Dan gets the job, I will be grovelling like mad to be his assistant.

- Paul

But seriously, if Dan gets the job, I will be grovelling like mad to be his assistant.

- Paul
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can think of a couple of people who would be more qualified than I.

But if I did somehow make it, I'd gladly accept you as an assistant. Maybe we can even get a mutual friend of ours to leave Brampton to join us?

Dan

Back