News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Many years ago, when I was commuting to Ottawa, a city councillor there called VIA the best third-world train system around.

With incidents such as this, that kind of remark can be questioned.

Maybe they should revert to the toilets just dumping onto the ballast. 😁
I’d just step out to do my business rail side. Being stuck overnight on warm train with wifi doesn’t sound so bad. As a teen I took the VIA from Toronto to Calgary. With a non-reclining seat I decided to sleep in the shelf where they’d normally keep suitcases.

It's a big tree, but let's be honest - a couple locals with their chainsaws could deal with that in a few hours.

It's a big tree, but let's be honest - a couple locals with their chainsaws could deal with that in a few hours.

I don't disagree.

Though, I think aside from malfunctioning toilets, which are a consequential concern........

The biggest issue I see here is actually communication. Again passengers complaining they have no idea what's going on, whether rescue is en route, when it may get there, what choices they have if any etc etc.

Updates, were apparently quite infrequent and not necessarily very informative.

That bit is grossly inexcusable.

Whatever the challenges in getting people off that train and on to their destinations, they needed to know people who mattered cared, and we're doing something, and how long that might take.

There's likely nothing the crew could have done about the toilets, though again, someone should have appeared to be trying; but if there were no other adequate solutions people should have been told they can go outside, where might be discrete.

What this really reads as, in two parts:

A less than stellar effort to get people off the train and on their way.

A miserable failure to communicate what efforts were being made, and when resolution might be in place.

If customers are stranded on the train for 18hrs +, and VIA Rail isn't even reporting cancellations on their website, then clearly they didn't give a F***.

This is a good example of large organizations taking their customers completely for granted - it reminds me of the airlines and how they treat people.

Last edited:
What this really reads as, in two parts:

A less than stellar effort to get people off the train and on their way.

A miserable failure to communicate what efforts were being made, and when resolution might be in place.

If I were setting up an emergency command center (which I presume VIA has for significant events - most industries have an equivalent, and a blockage of this magnitude certainly should have activated VIA's) I would have a functionality to collect the emails and text numbers of affected passengers. And I would be texting directly to the affected passengers with progress reports. And giving them a direct 1-800 number staffed by someone with access to the call center with at least one dedicated staffer to take calls from passengers about rearranging flights, etc. At the very least, answering text messages from passengers. And I would send progress reports every hour on the hour - even if they say 'nothing new this hour, next update in another hour'

If Air Canada can send me updates on gate numbers, changes to boarding times, etc..... VIA can do something. Aspirationally they should be trying to do better than the airlines, not imitate them.

The biggest failing I see in damage control - across every possible industry - is the deep belief in the premise that fluffy PR apologies and vague corporate explanations serve the company well. Quite the opposite.... whereas even a small amount of frank truth is quite helpful.

I also find it inexplicable that a crew could not be found to run a rescue trainset - which there must have been laying over in Toronto overnight. But that's an operational concern under very difficult circumstances. The communications concern is fixable.

- Paul

The biggest issue I see here is actually communication. Again passengers complaining they have no idea what's going on, whether rescue is en route, when it may get there, what choices they have if any etc etc.

Updates, were apparently quite infrequent and not necessarily very informative.

That bit is grossly inexcusable.

Agreed. My guess is VIA's Comms and PR office is short staffed due to the holiday break.

Agreed. My guess is VIA's Comms and PR office is short staffed due to the holiday break.
Even calling the train crew and telling them to say "This is what's happening [ie. we are doing nothing], see you in an hour" would have helped. How long does that take?

This will sound callous, but no one cares that it's a holiday break. There are certain industries where employees know going in that holidays are not necessarily holidays - transit is one of them. That's the deal. It's not a surprise.

VIA should have the staff working or on call necessary to run their operations - at all times.

Even calling the train crew and telling them to say "This is what's happening [ie. we are doing nothing], see you in an hour" would have helped. How long does that take?
It normally wouldn't take long.

But when there was almost 2 dozen trains stuck out there - to say nothing about the rest of the network - it can take a long time.

Dan

It normally wouldn't take long.

But when there was almost 2 dozen trains stuck out there - to say nothing about the rest of the network - it can take a long time.

Dan

Questions for ya Dan (or anyone else who would know)

1) Would it not be normal to prioritize a full passenger train, over a freight; and one stuck for many more hours w/o adequate supplies/working toilets? One certainly doesn't have the impression of priority here.

2) I don't know, but assuming the toilets stopped working due to the tanks filling up. In an emergency situation is there no way to empty on to the ballast? Whatever clean-up is later required is surely preferable to no working bathrooms.

3) I assume (again don't know) that trains don't carry significant surplus liquid beyond what they expect to provide for routine meals/snacks etc. I get where carrying vast amounts of surplus potable water is a hassle/cost; but it seems like they ran out quite early, is it your perception that more potable water/liquid should be on-board than is routinely the case?

4) Its my understanding that after being hit by the tree, the crew was able to maneuver the train under its own power to a nearby siding. If that was possible, and not safety risk, would it not have made sense to get it to the nearest station?

Appreciate any insights.

A customer oriented business whose key people are sleeping in warm beds while their customers are sitting up in toiletless coaches out in the cold - sorry, that’s a corporate cop out..

- Paul
Though VIA management cannot be held blameless, I suspect a lot of the problem is that VIA are not really in charge of the track and are/were reliant on CN to tell them when trains would be allowed to move again (and if VIA would be given priority ahead of freight).

Questions for ya Dan (or anyone else who would know)

1) Would it not be normal to prioritize a full passenger train, over a freight; and one stuck for many more hours w/o adequate supplies/working toilets? One certainly doesn't have the impression of priority here.

It would be prudent, yes, but that doesn’t mean that the service contract between CN and VIA allows it. I would predict that there is a fairly lengthy notice period before VIA can run any non-scheduled movement, and no emergency only exception.

It has been reported that the rescue train was in fact the first scheduled eastbound train of the following day. I interpret that as suggesting there may have been a reluctance - or inability - to dispatch a special train. Certainly there would have been equipment laying over at the TMC all night that could have been pressed into service much sooner..

2) I don't know, but assuming the toilets stopped working due to the tanks filling up. In an emergency situation is there no way to empty on to the ballast? Whatever clean-up is later required is surely preferable to no working bathrooms.

I don’t know much about VIA holding tanks - but based on others I know more intimately, some amount of pump or suction technology might be required. The whole idea of the design is to prevent spillage, not enable it.

Even opening the drain spout would be difficult under extreme weather conditions, possibly the drain plugs would be frozen, and possibly the tooling needed to remove the drain plug would not be on hand. I would not expect the workers on hand would know how, and whether they would be equipped and willing to do so seems quite unlikely. Definitely not in their job description.

The other question would be whose authority would be required and what the subsequent repercussions would be. Any number of authorities and regulators would be in a position to second guess the whole thing afterwards - and whether CN would be sympathetic is a good question. I imagine that the normal chain of middle management command on either the CN or VIA side would have been reluctant to “do it and beg forgiveness”. I can’t blame them…. the issue here seems to be that the situation either did not reach a level where people are paid to make those decisions, or if it did, they saw the situation as not serious, as clearly they should have imho.

(That’s why I would personally not hesitate to involve first responders in this type of situation… their authority is not unlimited, but their top officers have much more leeway to “do what is required” on the spur of the moment, and they have protocols to assess and sort out the serious stuff eg medical distress from the inconvenient but benign)

The other question would be, once the flush-water reservoir is emptied, would the toilet be operable. Again, I’m not sure, but I suspect the reservoir might have a float valve and an interlock on the circuit. So an empty flush-water tank could be as big a showstopper as a full waste tank….. dumping the waste doesn’t fix that.

3) I assume (again don't know) that trains don't carry significant surplus liquid beyond what they expect to provide for routine meals/snacks etc. I get where carrying vast amounts of surplus potable water is a hassle/cost; but it seems like they ran out quite early, is it your perception that more potable water/liquid should be on-board than is routinely the case?

I’m reluctant to agree that every VIA train needs to carry “emergency rations”. But the logistics of rescuing a stranded train and/or bringing emergency relief to that train apparently needs more planning and defense in depth. Going back to point 1 - there are situations where CN ought to be required to drop everything and respond to VIA as first priority. If that isn’t in the service contract today, it needs to be - regardless of the generally lopsided power relationship. And VIA needs to have contingency plans that will get people or material on site anywhere in the corridor.

4) Its my understanding that after being hit by the tree, the crew was able to maneuver the train under its own power to a nearby siding. If that was possible, and not safety risk, would it not have made sense to get it to the nearest station?

From what has been said unofficially, and the photos floating around, I am assuming that at the least the horns and/or bell were disabled, and there may have been other rooftop components that were damaged and prevented moving the train or that pinned the train in place. I would be willing to believe that moving the train ceased to be an option. I do wonder why the rearmost cars could not have been cut off and pulled in reverse, but that assumes available people and a locomotive to do so.

- Paul

Last edited:
I just wanted to re-iterate the point about, despite this being the Kingston Sub, accessibility is a long way from guaranteed. I was just going through the report on the 1994 LRC fire, and the train's inaccessibility was a major point throughout.

Back