News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^^^^ That, along with the washrooms, could go underground with a nice glass dome illuminating all of the subterranean elements. In fact other underground elements could include a bowling alley, a pool hall, an Arctic-centric + Alberta Lakes + Alberta Rivers and Streams public aquarium. This park could be vertically stacked so that there were 3 layers of "happenings" with plenty of room for passive viewing. These all don't have to come out of a City budget -- Occupancy tenders could be called pre-design for many of the elements that would attract outside investment (but, of course, the City Admin. won't think of that which brings us full circle back to "planters and benches").

Here's some interesting info from the admin and company presentations about the proposed Westrich development at yesterday's public hearing.
Screenshot_20211208-110928_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20211208-110804_Drive.jpg

It's a tiny building surrounded by parking lots, on our main street.
Unless it has historical value, it needs to go.
I'd personally be fine with that parking going and the BP staying, as long as they could renovate the exterior so that the patio opens to the park instead of the street. Or maybe both, given that the street will be incorporated somehow. It'd be nice to have a restaurant along the park that could both draw people in, and extend their stay. The parking lots need to go for sure, but I don't think the BP is a big issue in relation to that. Of course, I'd rather have a restaurant inside the podium of a tower, but I'd also rather see the parking lots be prioritized for development over the BPs (if it came down to an either-or choice, which I'm not saying it has to).

Edmonton downtown has a large volume of problems. Eliminating these lots as soon as possible and having a couple of developments take place will resolve the most visually unappealing area of the entire community.

I just hope the city doesn’t interfere with/constrain the project based off its ideas of best planning practices. I also hope the city realizes that an area like this can easily be ghettoized and that it should be treated with the same level of security measures as the legislature grounds.

Back