News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I can confirm that this park will be required to have a large open space to allow for passive recreation activities (i.e. frisbee-throwing, baseball tossing, etc.).
In other words -- code for another City Centre "needle park". I would like to know why Edmonton Planning is 60 years behind the times and do they plan on staying there no matter what?

I want to see a large fountain in the middle of the park. Something akin to Buckingham Fountain in Chicago.
How about like this lovely fountain in our very own Giovanni Caboto Park, just a little more grande
2019-06-02-024-jpg.189961

A pic from June 2019

Robber – You got a light buddy?

Mick – Yeah, sure kid. There you go.

Robber – And your wallet.

Sue – Mick. Give him your wallet.

Mick – What for?

Sue – He's got a knife.

Mick – Hah hah hah. That's not a knife…

Mick – THAT'S a knife.
DSC_0120_zpstwgfn1fw.jpg

Warehouse Campus Neighbourhood Central Park Development
Warehouse Campus Neighbourhood Central Park Development​

Project Website
Project Website

Budget - The project is currently on budget.​

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.​

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.​

Description:​

The City is investing in an exciting new park in Downtown Edmonton. Located in the Downtown Warehouse District, the Warehouse Campus Neighborhood Central Park will cover 1.33 hectares (roughly 13,300 square metres or just over 2 football fields) between 106 Street and 107 Street and Jasper Avenue to 102 Avenue. By 2030, an estimated 25,000 residents are expected to be living downtown. This park will serve as a major public amenity for residents and businesses.

Latest Update:​

The Warehouse Park Project is in the Concept Phase. The procurement process for a prime consultant is underway and the contract is scheduled to be awarded prior to the end of 2021.

Contact Information:​

Email: ryan.andres@edmonton.ca
Phone:7804964920

Approved Schedule​

May, 2023​

Forecasted Schedule​

May, 2023​

Approved Budget​

$2.93 million​

Forecasted Budget​

$2.93 million​

^^I don't agree. There is already a base-line requirements for the park, which is a lot of open space, some active recreation, washrooms, maybe some other amenities, active edges with the surrounding lanes, integration of 107 Street. etc. It's pretty hard to get those wrong.

^^^^ Wait and see how wrong that programming can be when the criticisms start flying. A legitimate competition of ideas would have had a better outcome. City Planning laying the perception groundwork for a consultant is an entirely different matter.

... on budget and on schedule, for now. Lets see how long that lasts. Maybe I am wrong, but I am getting a sense the City doesn't really know what to do with this or maybe doesn't care so much.

This could be a great opportunity to develop something spectacular, but maybe we don't really know how to do spectacular. The cynic in me thinks the only spectacular thing will be the amount of money spent.

Back