News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Despite the obvious design flaws and the sometimes intense debate about the design on this forum, I have to say just seeing a HUGE part of the core fenced off and busy with activity has got me really excited. And despite my own criticisms about the park design, I truly think that once everything is all said and done that downtown will be a much more attractive and overall pleasant place to be with the removal of all these derelict lots.

Last edited:
If we are comparing subjective embarrassing blocks, I would argue Regency’s BMO site is the most embarrassing block in Canada because no other downtown financial districts (not in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver) have an abandoned, garbage filled, plot of land that still looks like demo is incomplete with piles of rebar and concrete. If only Regency and our council leaders were as embarrassed as I am when I have tours downtown with out-of-towners.
The nice thing for out of towners is it looks almost like it JUST got demolished ahha. So they just assume it’s in process. Not an abandoned landfill site from an incompetent developer.

@Munanyo agreed.

Pics were taken just over a month apart. Just turning dirt has made a pretty striking impact, IMO.

IMG_6724.jpeg
IMG_6341.jpeg

The nice thing for out of towners is it looks almost like it JUST got demolished ahha. So they just assume it’s in process. Not an abandoned landfill site from an incompetent developer.
Oh, let's not forget that it was only about 30 years ago when there was hay bailed on the lot at 109th and 104th. Now THAT was embarrassing to explain to visitors!

Oh, let's not forget that it was only about 30 years ago when there was hay bailed on the lot at 109th and 104th. Now THAT was embarrassing to explain to visitors!
...and it was a stones throw from a piece of public infrastructure affectionately dubbed the "Rat Hole"...

Great to see something finally happening, sadly, there is a perfectly good lrt station on jasper that would have been a great connection to a tower complex going to waste.

Anyone recall what's happening to the Boston Pizza location?

30 years ago we had a shooting range in actual downtown. 30 years ago we were grunting out the cheapest possible strip malls right in and around downtown and calling it revitalization. 30 years ago our violent crime rate in the core was at its historic peak, and walking 104 street after dark was a spectacularly bad idea (not that there was any reason to walk on 104 street, and it was quite the repellent environment). 30 years ago we'd only barely gotten the LRT across the river. 30 years ago we were still demolishing the old industrial brick buildings to make parking lots. 30 years ago we still had this thing cutting right through the middle of downtown a block from where this park is going. I experienced this downtown and remember it, but it never ceases to amaze me just how spectacularly bad things used to be. I've gotten frustrated sometimes with how slow things seem to change and how limited some of the improvements have been, but it's also just been a huge amount of work for us to come back from this.
EA-803-4 105 street overpass.jpeg
ET-28-864 105 street overpass.jpeg
ET-28-870 105 street overpass.jpeg

Great to see something finally happening, sadly, there is a perfectly good lrt station on jasper that would have been a great connection to a tower complex going to waste.

Anyone recall what's happening to the Boston Pizza location?
I have good news for you then. MacLab's The Parks is going to plug directly into Corona LRT, apparently where the entrance just to the west of Audrey's Books is.

I'd be kind of surprised if that Boston Pizza is still here in a few years. It seems to have gotten pretty desolate compared to what I remember back when I was the sort of person who would need a few thousand calories of something in the middle of the night and it was one of the few options. They used to catch a lot of business from the hungry drunks at the various noise bars that used to be to the west of it, and it was still a fairly affordable option for MacEwan students and the like. Meanwhile, the new location in the Ice District just seems much less shabby and has a lot more of a market on its doorstep. The one advantage the Jasper Ave location has going for them is a few parking spaces, and realistically if someone is going to drive to BP's, there's all of the other BPs you can drive to without coming downtown.

30 years ago we had a shooting range in actual downtown. 30 years ago we were grunting out the cheapest possible strip malls right in and around downtown and calling it revitalization. 30 years ago our violent crime rate in the core was at its historic peak, and walking 104 street after dark was a spectacularly bad idea (not that there was any reason to walk on 104 street, and it was quite the repellent environment). 30 years ago we'd only barely gotten the LRT across the river. 30 years ago we were still demolishing the old industrial brick buildings to make parking lots. 30 years ago we still had this thing cutting right through the middle of downtown a block from where this park is going. I experienced this downtown and remember it, but it never ceases to amaze me just how spectacularly bad things used to be. I've gotten frustrated sometimes with how slow things seem to change and how limited some of the improvements have been, but it's also just been a huge amount of work for us to come back from this.
View attachment 584604View attachment 584605View attachment 584606
At least the cars looked wayyy cooler back then.

View attachment 584604View attachment 584605View attachment 584606
So that is why 105th street is so monstrously wide. Thanks for the photos, I had no idea this existed.

So that is why 105th street is so monstrously wide. Thanks for the photos, I had no idea this existed.
I remember going over it when I was first learning to drive and it was just a miserable experience, especially in winter. God forbid you wanted to use the pedestrian walkway with the death stairs. It's so weird to me that people get nostalgic for downtown of the 1980s, because after the oil bust hit, well... these pictures are really emblematic of the downtown of the day, especially since we did the thing Calgary does in its core where 102 Ave was a wide one-way going east and 102A/103 Ave was a one-way going west all of the way from Jasper Ave east of Boyle Street to the industrial wasteland along 109 street to promote traffic flow, and neither was any kind of good place to walk but at least cars went zoom (map date is actually 1977, but this didn't go away until the mid 1990s). It was just assumed everyone was going to use the pedways, which you might as well because after the oil bust hit, there really wasn't much to downtown outside of that whole cluster from the old HBC to City Hall, and even then only if you stayed south of 103 street. And as much as people romanticize how Churchill Square used to be, it was framed in on all directions by monstrous stroads.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 6.28.00 PM.png

Back