News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Fords are taking this city in the wrong direction and somebody needs to stop these guys.

Agreed. Can someone explain to be (in a boring political science way) how the political process actually works in City Hall.

I know how parliament works, but how does City Hall work? There are no parties right? So does the Mayor just propose things and then everyone votes?

Also why is Doug Ford so 'powerful'? Is it simply because Rob Ford choses to listen to him as his 'advisor'?

How does it work?

Doug Ford keeps telling us that we should be more like Chicago but do you see any megga-malls on the Chicago waterfront? Of course not! They have the amusement Pier with a Ferris wheel but it's in a tourist pier, not a shopping mall. The CN Tower functions as our Ferris wheel, for viewing the city. We do not need another viewing attraction but if we did build one, the central waterfront (Harbourfront) is the place for it, not the Portlands, that has no major attractions, skyscrapers or monumental buildings. Who would want to view the Portlands/Leslieville area on a Ferris Wheel? There is noting there worth paying to see.

Heaven forbid no Ferris Wheel at the waterfront. If anywhere it should be put with the rest of the attractions at Ontario Place. As for a shopping mall. I don't see the bad point about it. Just not the type of high end mall Ford has in mind. A mall for regular people. If there's going to be mixed use of residential and business. You need restaurants, grocery stores and other stores to sustain it.

People who live in the area might want quick access to housewares, toys, every day products and other equipment readily accessible. It's not convenient to travel so far to access things. I think they should be in stacked buildings though. Like, downstairs has restaurant and outdoor cafe. Upper floors grocery, retail sales or other necessities.

I'll give an example. If you live near the waterfront area, and you wanted access to quick and cheap items from the dollar store. The nearest one is at College and Yonge. It's pretty far to travel. I'm glad there's a new dollar store open along Spadina so it's easier to access. Another thing I've peeved at is the few Babies R Us stores around. They're all outside downtown. Nearest one is Etobicoke. The stock runs out so fast for baby seats whenever there's a sale it's hard to find stock. They want families to move downtown, but there doesn't seem to be many stores specializing in baby items. You could say there's Eaton or Sears, but their items are limited.

Buried beneath the horselaughs is one bit of lip-service on the Fords' part: provision for retention of Hearn...

Who would want to view the Portlands/Leslieville area on a Ferris Wheel? There is noting there worth paying to see.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... that's a bit of a shot. I'd be able to see my roof and check whether it needs work, without going up on a ladder. Worth the price of y'all building me a Ferris wheel. ;-)

Good point about the CN Tower as our 'high view' attraction. Paris has the Eiffel Tower, and so doesn't have a giant Ferris wheel. The other point about London is that it's all the OTHER architecture you get on the Ferris wheel to see. Our architecture is more NYC-like -- it's better to be seen from ground level stretching up, IMO.

Heaven forbid no Ferris Wheel at the waterfront. If anywhere it should be put with the rest of the attractions at Ontario Place. As for a shopping mall. I don't see the bad point about it. Just not the type of high end mall Ford has in mind. A mall for regular people. If there's going to be mixed use of residential and business. You need restaurants, grocery stores and other stores to sustain it.

People who live in the area might want quick access to housewares, toys, every day products and other equipment readily accessible. It's not convenient to travel so far to access things. I think they should be in stacked buildings though. Like, downstairs has restaurant and outdoor cafe. Upper floors grocery, retail sales or other necessities.

I'll give an example. If you live near the waterfront area, and you wanted access to quick and cheap items from the dollar store. The nearest one is at College and Yonge. It's pretty far to travel. I'm glad there's a new dollar store open along Spadina so it's easier to access. Another thing I've peeved at is the few Babies R Us stores around. They're all outside downtown. Nearest one is Etobicoke. The stock runs out so fast for baby seats whenever there's a sale it's hard to find stock. They want families to move downtown, but there doesn't seem to be many stores specializing in baby items. You could say there's Eaton or Sears, but their items are limited.

Assuming that you're not just pulling our collective chains, there's a Babies R Us conveniently on the subway line at Eglinton and another at Dufferin Mall, both inside Toys R Us. As for Dollar Stores, there's a huge one at Sherbourne and Queen and another going into the Toronto Sun building, apparently. All of these locations will be closer to you and more convenient to transit/parking than Etobicoke or the Port Lands.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um...JAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CCEQtgM

There are also many and varied independent children's stores all over the frickin' place.

Last, and certainly not least, for the new folks needing to drive to a store from the Port Lands, there's a ginormous Canadian Tire, as well as other big box retail at Leslie and Lake Shore. Given that T&T probably will not be moving any time soon, there's also a great, Asian-centred large grocer already on Cherry.

But... you're pulling my chain, right?

Good point, but there is a big Canadian Tire, Loblaws and Price Chopper all at the corner of Leslie and Lakeshore already. They are unfortunately not designed in the stacked building method but more like big box stores. The Loblaws is old so I suspect it will be renovated when more people move to the area.

Canadian Tire is also another place to check for baby items. I don't have a baby so I don't know if the stock is good though :)

Last edited:
Well I think a mega-mall on the waterfront is a wonderful idea! Often when I'm wandering along Lake Ontario I think to myself, "All of this water is so boring. I'd much rather be inside right now, in a gigantic building with no windows but lots of high end department stores".

Dumb and Dumber only have three years left to enact this pathetic vision, which is barely even enough time to complete a drive through MacDonalds, so, clearly, this turkey is DOA. The worry, however, is will it permanently derail the WT plan? Once we have reasonable adults running the city again will it be possible to blow the dust off the WT blueprints and resume the masterplan as it was left? Also, is there any recent precedent in a first world western democracy for this kind of tinpot dictator koo-koo-ness on a municipal level? As someone referenced upthread, the Frauds everyday villainy is turning into cartoonish super-villainy.

I have to say, this is much, much weirder than any of the toffee-headed daffiness Mel Lastman pulled. How much longer until this city starts getting parodied on The Daily Show and Colbert?

For the "it's taking to looonnng!" crowd (of which I am occasionally a member. Urp!), here's my list of Waterfront Toronto's completed, under construction and yet-to-be-done projects.

More has been completed than usually just springs to mind:

Completed:

Cherry Beach improvements and playing fields
Port Lands greening
The Rees Wavedeck, The Simcoe Wavedeck, The Spadina Wavedeck.
Corus Entertainment Building
Sugar Beach
The HTO Park
Sherbourne Common Park
York Quay initial revitalization
Martin Goodman Trail Improvements at Ontario Place
Marilyn Bell Park improvements
Western Beaches Watercourse

Actually under construction:

Union Station Revitalization
York Quay parking and plazas
The Pan-Am games plan for the West Donlands
Donlands Park and the flood protection landform
Underpass Park
George Brown College
River City condos
Water's Edge Promenade (both east and west, though unconnected)
Toronto Community Housing
Tommy Thompson Park

Immediate Developments:

Parkside condo (Safdie)
Bayside village development (Hines)
3C village site (Foster and Partners / Cityzen)

Future Plans, Environmental Assessments and Lovely Renderings:

Just about anything in the lower Portlands east of Cherry Street and South of Lakeshore Boulevard, including:

Queen's Quay Boulevard East transit from Bay to Cherry Street. This was supposed to be in by now, but funding, bickering, etc., have led to it being thoroughly delayed.
The entirety of the Queen's Quay Boulevard (excluding the 800m pilot stretch) from Spadina to Parliament.
The Parliament Street wavedeck.
The York Quay "cultural village".
The Portland Slip.
Footbridges at the foot of Spadina, Peter, Police Basin, Rees and Simcoe streets.
Cherry Street Transit.
Mouth of the Don River reconfiguration. (there's been some construction action around this, but I'm not sure about any recent news).
Lower Portlands residential and park developments.
Keating Channel Precinct.
Lake Ontario Park.

Some additional details of the Doug Ford "vision" provided in the http://InsideToronto. I like Adam Vaughan response, I wish he was our mayor:

"The plan has raised eyebrows at city hall. Adam Vaughan, who represents Ward 20 (Toronto-Danforth), said Ford needs to provide more information - and shouldn't have been meeting privately with potential investors to discuss the matter.

"You don't make plans in back rooms and sell them to investors until you've gone public," he said. "That kind of back room dealing stopped in the 60s, never mind the 80s and 90s."

Vaughan said the plan needs to go in front of the affected communities.

"Right now he's dealing with land that doesn't belong to him and making plans and designs on downtown neighbourhoods that have a history of a participatory planning process," said Vaughan. "He better slow down and take a deep breath. He better be prepared to sell this to the public."

BTW, Doug is wrong to claim that the proposed boat travel from Billy Bishop airport to the hotel would be first in the world. I guess he forgot about Venice water connection to Marco Polo Airport...

To be fair to the Fords, a lot of this does not address their concern, which is that Mario has yet to be paid for and/or allowed to develop his leasehold. And, given that WT has left that to the end of its timeline, they do have a point, such as it is.

BTW, I think you could put 'Cherry Street Transit' on the 'under construction' list, as they're doing the sewer infrastructure that has to happen first before they can lay tracks, and they're moving dirt around on the new shed for the LRT cars that will service that line. Baby steps, I know, but necessary ones.

Will Ford allow the LRT to go ahead on Cherry Street? I thought he was very firm about further LRT development.

Ford painted a picture of the port lands project, starting with a monorail "that's going to be running on the lake, stopping at the Air Canada Centre, at the Dome - then going down Cherry Street. Cherry Street will be lined with cherry trees and have European-style outdoor patios along it. Then you'll stop at two mini-towers - they could be hotels or residential or office space."

That's very imaginative. Cherry Street will be lined with cherry trees.

Agreed. Can someone explain to be (in a boring political science way) how the political process actually works in City Hall.

I know how parliament works, but how does City Hall work? There are no parties right? So does the Mayor just propose things and then everyone votes?

Also why is Doug Ford so 'powerful'? Is it simply because Rob Ford choses to listen to him as his 'advisor'?

How does it work?

I think you've already got a pretty good grasp on it, as the machinations of the municipal decision making process is actually a good deal simpler than the process with the other orders of government.

Quick summary:

- An item, like this one regarding the Port Lands, is drafted ether by the City Manager (or another bureaucrat) or by a Councillor
- In most cases, the item appears on the agenda of a relevant committee, be it Parks & Recreation, Economic Development or, in this case, the Executive Committee
- At Committee, citizens have an opportunity to send communications or give deputations. Members of the committee can debate the item, make amendments, and vote to adopt, reject, or defer. A majority vote is required; if an item doesn't pass through committee, council will never see it
- Once adopted by committee, the item goes to a meeting of Toronto City Council, where all 44 councillors plus the mayor get to vote on it. A majority vote is required for an item to pass, in which case staff will execute the item

In the abstract, this means that all councillors are free to vote with their convictions. In the absence of a party structure, there's no pressure for them to vote along ideological or party lines. In practice, however, there are parties at City Hall. The Mayor holds a ton of influence on critical items, as councillors who don't vote the way he wants them to could see themselves thrown off committees. The mayor could also use his power over committees to ensure items that are important to certain councillors are deferred or delayed.

In short, opposing the mayor makes it much harder for councillors to get things done in their ward. This is less of a concern for councillors like Adam Vaughan, Mike Layton, Kristyn Wong-Tam, etc. as their electorate is mostly sympathetic to the political situation, but for more middle-ground councillors like Josh Colle or Jaye Robinson, it's harder to just cast off and lose the political opportunities being a friend-of-the-mayor provides.

As an example of what I'm talking about in practice: Councillor Josh Colle indicated prior to the Jarvis Bike Lane vote that he would not support spending money to remove the lanes. However, on the day of the vote, the Mayor stood and held an agenda item relating to the planned revitalization of Lawrence Heights, in Colle's Ward. (A 'hold' means the item, which would otherwise just be approved in a blanket vote, will be debated and amended on the floor of council.) When it came time for the Jarvis vote, Colle voted to remove the lanes.

The mayor released his hold on the Lawrence Heights item soon after, without debate, and it passed.

As for why Doug Ford has so much power? Because the mayor lets him. When Rob was elected, they actually had City Hall look at the cost of adding a door that would open right from Doug's City Hall office into the Mayor's Office. Doug wields tremendous personal influence over his younger brother, even though he has little in the way of formal power. (He's on the Budget committee, but not the Executive.)

I've written about the Port Lands move here: http://fordfortoronto.mattelliott.ca/2011/08/30/port-lands-terrible/

Back