News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is encouraging to see a design such as this, the happy outcome of an overwhelmingly negative response to the original proposal.

Ice cube, ice box, ice house, ice palace ...

Is it necessarily the case that this facility won't have large ramps, like at Rogers Centre? I can't imagine that elevators would usually be necessary for people.

I'm surprised to see so many comments on the Star that talk about the nightmare of elevators. Just head on down to Ikea and you'll see that they've got a bunch of them. Hospitals too. Not exactly hard to figure out. Throw in escalators for people without equipment and you'll be fine.

Having glass walls doesn't mean the ice will be crap. The Richmond Oval skating track in Vancouver has large windows on the sides and the ice was fine. It may have been slower than Salt Lake City but that was attributed to elevation and climate as opposed to architecture.

I'd love to see something that uses more natural light than the typical arena. Especially in the summer when you could use these for roller hockey or lacrosse.

Well they put drapes over the windows at the Richmond Oval. It's a bit harder to do in an entire building made of glass.

Also re: elevators. They would need a lot of elevators (6? 8?) and each would need to be huge to carry more than half a dozen people/bags, which is an aboluste must. Escalators make the most sense, but even these would need to be wider than normal and it'd still suck for an 8 year old to carry his gear up 4 flights. Like others have said, I'd like to see the internal plans, because right now it looks to me like someone thought we could remove every other floor from an office building and leave everything else as is.

Hence why I wrote this

Throw in escalators for people without equipment and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't want to travel in elevators with hyper kids and stinky equipment either so I would rather take the escalator.

They would need a lot of elevators (6? 8?) and each would need to be huge to carry more than half a dozen people/bags, which is an aboluste must.

Take a ride up to Ikea, the airport or any hospital to see examples of large elevators that work just fine.

Last edited:
meeting going on right now...

Invitation to Public Meeting Design Options for the Port Lands Sports Centre

The City of Toronto is examining the feasibility of developing the Port Lands Sport Centre, a multiple ice pad facility to be built in the Port Lands, in the area south of Commissioners Street and west of the Don Roadway (85 and 95 Commissioners Street).
You are invited to a public meeting on the Port Lands Sports Centre project:
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Location: Toronto Fire and EMS Training Centre, 895 Eastern Avenue
The purpose of this public meeting is to provide an overview of the Port Lands Sports Centre project status as well as to obtain feedback on design options for the project and related considerations. City staff and the project architect will make presentations, followed by an interactive question and comment period.
Feedback from the public meeting will contribute to a staff report to City Council in August regarding project next steps, as well as detailed planning and design for the project.
Please distribute this notice to others who may be interested in the Port Lands Sports Centre project.
Contact: Gwen McIntosh, Acting Director, Waterfront Secretariat. 416-397-4821

also, another render of the RDH proposal from Toronto Life
StackedRinks1.jpg

Last edited:
nobody here has been to North Toronto arena? It has huge windows and at certain times of the year light just pours in which was awesome to play in as a kid. The ice was never a problem in fact I would say it has some of the best ice in the city. this arena was also built in the 70's so I'm sure there has been advances in glass to keep UV and external temps in check.

Why are people complaining about the elevators? Your hockey players... use the stairs. :)

But really, what a change to this whole story...a suburban-styled four pad ice rink becoming a 4 story ice box.

Guess we need to piss off more urban designers to get some good design.

CBC has a slightly higher resolution render. Personally, I think this is a fantastic proposal. I can't imagine how cool it would be to skate while having a view of the city.

stacked-complex.jpg

I absolutely love this design. The ice cube feel, the urban feel, it's gotta get built! I would love to go skating in such a place.

Now that they have created an acceptable design it is time to think about finding funding for the extra costs. Possiblities:

1. Naming rights - one for the overall facility and one for each pad.
2. Higher user fees - it's a brand new arena, shouldn't groups pay more to use it?
3. Direct s. 37 funds from area developments to the project
4. P3

Another article from the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/835536--portlands-arena-two-visions-one-preference

AoD

Last edited:

Back