40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From the Star:

Portlands sports plan proposes building four rinks on top of each othe
Latest plan for waterfront arena would shrink footprint, but final cost unknown

Vanessa Lu
Staff Reporter

It would be the first of its kind in Canada and a possible solution to the sports complex arena problem in the Lower Donlands.

An all-glass, four-arena facility with the ice pads stacked on top of each other.

It looks more like an office building than an ice rink and according to confidential documents obtained by the Star, this latest design for the Portlands sports complex, long planned on the waterfront, would be eight storeys high. The first rink would be halfway below ground, but the other three would be surrounded by glass with a view of the water. Some underground parking would be available, with additional spots on nearby land during big tournaments.

The proposal comes after a huge uproar this year when prominent architect Ken Greenberg resigned from a project to integrate the $34 million arena with development plans for the Lower Donlands, Greenberg charged that the sports complex violated the vision for the neighbourhood.

Architects, designers and engineers on the design review panel also threatened to resign en masse over the original arena proposal that included 440 above-ground parking spaces and four arenas all at ground level.

The city wants to build the facility to help alleviate the desperate shortage of ice time in Toronto. If ready in time the facility could also be used for the 2015 Pan Am games.

This latest proposal — which shrinks the original footprint in half by building up and not out — will be unveiled at a public meeting on Tuesday night. The final price tag remains unspecified, but is expected to cost significantly more than the original plan.

The design by Bob Goyeche of RDH Architects Inc. was shown to about 50 people last week, including local residents and sports groups, and reportedly drew a good response. The design review panel, which is charged with approving all designs on the waterfront, meets on Wednesday to discuss this option.

If the panel signs off, then the council’s executive committee and city council would consider the proposal in August — the final meeting before the October municipal election.

“I’m cautiously optimistic,” said Karen Pitre, chair of the Toronto Sports Council. “It’s very ambitious. Nobody has built a four-stack arena before.”

Her concern is the technical challenges of placing rinks one on top of another — including elevator dependency during tournaments for players and equipment.

“Would you need four Zambonis?” Pitre wondered, or could the arena get by with two ice surfacing machines, moving them up and down as needed. During a sledge hockey tourney for wheelchair users, elevator access would be imperative.

City officials travelled to Connecticut to see a two-pad stacked arena though it is not surrounded by glass.

Councillor Paula Fletcher, who represents the area, said she likes the latest option — saying she could not have supported the original big box plan.

While no price tag is available, it is certain to cost significantly more, Fletcher said, adding the cost is worth it to ensure a contemporary, urban building on the site at Don Roadway and Commissioners St.

“It would be a unique building,” she said, arguing it might speed up other development in the area that includes mixed use retail, commercial and housing. “There may be a multiplier effect.”

Some of the pads, could be left dry at times and used for other sports like basketball, soccer or lacrosse. The city could also make money by holding large tournaments, something it cannot do now.

Waterfront Toronto president and CEO John Campbell said no one is opposed to having an arena in the Portlands, but designers want to ensure there is significant streetscape activity down there.

“The issue is let’s make sure it fits with the long-term plans for the area,” said Campbell. “Once it goes in, it will be there forever.”

Rendering and link:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...building-four-rinks-on-top-of-each-other?bn=1

____

The rendering suggests some very vague similiarities with Toyo Ito's Sendai Mediatheque - still prefer Hearn for environmental reasons, but this will do.

AoD

Last edited:
If this stack is any more expensive than the Hearn idea, then there is no excuse to go ahead with it.

kettal:

Generally I agree with that statement - but since Hearn is owned by someone else, it is bit of a moot point. Even if this is built, it doesn't mean Hearn can't be used for something else - like an aquatic centre.

AoD

If the other complex was going to cost $34million...
I also think someone forgot to tell them that there's a reason rinks don't have windows, nevermind walls made of glass. You're potentially running the risk of having absolutely horrible ice in there (and yes, there are noticeable differences in ice quality that can be caused by even the slightest issue (i.e. humidity) nevermind what 4 walls of glass might do). If I'm operating that rink, I'd be really concerned about that idea.

In all honesty, it looks like someone took a normal office design that was laying around, removed every other floor, and said "look, a stacked arena".

If this can be made to work (which as jn_12 points out, may be a big "if"), I think this is an exciting and elegant solution to the problem.

I think the new stacked-arenas-in-a-glass-building is crazy from a logistical perspective: moving people (& Zambonis!) around is going to be a nightmare of industrial sized elevators. And then there are the energetic & materiel requirements of keeping sunlight/heat out and the ice cold.

The Hearn Power Plant reuse proposal by Behnisch Architekten , Transsolar is so much better: three rinks, all at the same grade, in a building whose structure can easily support them, plenty of space for all the other elements of such a facility, architectural and engineering companies already on board that have written the book on people-friendly and sustainable buildings.

The architectural exhibition of The Behnisch/Transsolar collaboration, which includes material about their Hearn proposal, continues until the 16 July. Go and see it at The MaRS building, open 24/7.

I suspect that the glass stacked arena can be built a lot quicker, to be ready for the 2015 PanAm Games--another instance of these idiotic sporting events driving lousy planning and design!

We need to know more about the the inside of the building. If the rinks above ground can be contained and isolated from the glass concourse sections then it can work. The sections by the glass can be used for facilities such as snack bars, dressing rooms (ooh spying on hockey players changing!) and maintenance. Really, people playing on the ice don't need views of the lake. They are busy playing the game.

If they really want a show-piece rink with views out over the inner harbour, they could probably isolate the lower three and have the top level open to minimize the energy use. The top level will be 7 to 8 stories up, and would admittedly have a very impressive view and be a very unique experience.

The top rink could also be isolated and kept mostly for non-ice sports like soccer and lacrosse (there is great demand for field time for these sports too).

Last edited:
For those too lazy to click the link...

4b26aa2042e088a6e6808e8b86c0.jpeg

I think this is a huge improvement over the typical arena. Not only does it look better but it's also a better use of land. I'd love to see the roof used as a patio for a restaurant or some other public use. We might as well take advantage of that great location, with a good view of the lake and city.

I suspect that the glass stacked arena can be built a lot quicker, to be ready for the 2015 PanAm Games--another instance of these idiotic sporting events driving lousy planning and design!

The PanAm games is a summer event and involves no ice sports.

Could something like this become a landmark like the Roger's Centre? I've heard of 2-story Ice rinks, but four?

I'm surprised to see so many comments on the Star that talk about the nightmare of elevators. Just head on down to Ikea and you'll see that they've got a bunch of them. Hospitals too. Not exactly hard to figure out. Throw in escalators for people without equipment and you'll be fine.

Having glass walls doesn't mean the ice will be crap. The Richmond Oval skating track in Vancouver has large windows on the sides and the ice was fine. It may have been slower than Salt Lake City but that was attributed to elevation and climate as opposed to architecture.

I'd love to see something that uses more natural light than the typical arena. Especially in the summer when you could use these for roller hockey or lacrosse.

I'm surprised to see so many comments on the Star that talk about the nightmare of elevators. Just head on down to Ikea and you'll see that they've got a bunch of them. Hospitals too. Not exactly hard to figure out. Throw in escalators for people without equipment and you'll be fine.

You have obviously never been in a hotel filled with Tournament hockey players that don't live with elevators every day. The combination of elevators and hundreds of high spirited kids, most toting equipment bags, spells "take the stairs".

The parking space allottment seems a little generous. I put together a spreadsheet based on 4 rinks with a new 60 minute game starting on the quarter hour, 30 cars per game would require a maximum of less than 300 spaces at any one time including 30 spaces for officials and employees.

Back