News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

(My apologies if this is derailing the main topic of the thread.)

I do not think it is. The main topic is about where the needed hockey rinks are to go, and the top contenders are this 8-story proposal, the Hearn building, and the (I hope fully rejected) original suburban-sprawl design.

My personal preference would be the hockey rinks going into this proposal (provided that the solar insolation issue is resolved), with the Hearn building used for a cultural institution such as a good museum. The Portland district as a whole needs more attractions, and these would be two of them -- especially the Hearn, if it contains one or more interesting museums / art galleries (there's surely room for several inside the building).

Last edited:
Not that the premises are likely to be vacated for quite some time, but I'd also put the Redpath complex forward for consideration as a future cultural/museum complex. It's every bit as ( grits teeth ) "iconic" a representative of our historic portlands buildings as the Victory Soya Mills, the Canada Malting Silos or the Distillery complex ... and the shapes of the buildings form a wonderfully sculptural ensemble ( the long pier-like building with steeply pitched roof where ships unload, the two circular drum-shaped structures, those diagonal tube-like things that link the buildings, the two box-like buildings, the external rooftop stairs etc. ).

I should point out that Redpath already has a history of creating museums: the Redpath Museum of Natural History in Montreal (1882). And of course there is the Redpath Sugar Museum in the Toronto refinery itself. So I think that, in the event that Redpath vacates their current site, they would be more than willing to turn the existing sugar refinery into a museum of some sort.

Not sure if Hearn is the appropriate site for that - but yeah, we do need a good planetarium. Something on the order of Rose Centre in NYC.

AoD

I don't disagree, but I also think that the Hearn building is actually far too interesting to use merely as a huge hockey rink. My preference would be to see it repurposed like the Tate Modern, either as a museum or some other cultural purpose, something truly impressive and unique (a big brother to the Power Plant). To me, that would be genuine forward thinking and creativity.

I have to agree with you, the Hearn could be used in so many more innovative ways than just a hockey sports complex. I take consolation in the fact that the AGO seems to engage in major renos every 10-15 years, so I am hoping that by 2025 at the latest, they will realize the wisdom of moving to a much larger space, 1.5x the Tate Modern in London (the former Battersea Power Station). There will be plenty of space to squeeze in a good sized planetarium, too.

But I should have emphasized the other, hugely attractive feature of the Behnisch/Trannsolar/ERA proposal, the fact that it probably would have been an exemplary combination of architectural and energy efficient conversion to a new use, given the architects & engineers signed on to it. Toronto (and Canada) need to have real examples of what is possible (e.g. the old industrial smokestack and the possible reuse of the apparently still functional large water pumps as a component of the overall ventilation/heating/cooling strategy) in energy efficient architecture, to move the debate along. A sprinkling of LEED certified new buildings in the city just does not go far enough, we need to go further--but people have to be brought on board to mandatory low energy use building standards, and more really fine examples of people-friendly & accessible architecture are needed in toronto anyway, not just office buildings.

.......the Tate Modern in London (the former Battersea Power Station). There will be plenty of space to squeeze in a good sized planetarium, too.

FYI - The Tate Modern is in the recycled Bankside Power Station - quite different in design from the Battersea (even thought done by the same architect). Battersea is several kilometers west of the Bankside plant, and is distinguished by the large chimneys in the for corners of the building - a quite different configuration than the Tate Modern building.

The sad fact is that the Battersea plant - magnificent as it is - is in a sad state of disrepair, as the plans to redevelop it foundered for lack of money, after the roof had been removed.

AHK

Oh dear, I did not check my references before posting: I lived in London for a short period as a child, and the huge size of the Battersea plant made a durable impression in my memory. I've never really looked at any photos of the Tate Modern, so jumped to conclusions that battersea was the power plant reused... thank you for clearing that up. I'm beyond sad to find out that the Battersea has had its roof removed, has never found new uses, and is now slowly collapsing--the photo of the (former) interior on Wikipedia is distressing indeed. Such buildings will never be built again.

From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/847405--stacked-four-pad-arena-to-cost-88-million

And the Exec Committee Report is out:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-32980.pdf

Project description:

Stacked Design Option:
This scheme represents a new urban typology for municipal arenas. Traditional four-pad arenas have large development footprints and are generally located in suburban or industrial sites. Their development relies on relatively inexpensive land values, as well as an expectation that virtually all of its users will be arriving by automobile. By building up instead of out, the stacked scheme recognizes the inherent value of land in an urban context. The footprint of the complex is situated within a single block of the Lower Don Lands Framework Plan, retaining all of the proposed road and block layouts.

Benefits related to a vertical recreation centre include the following: a much more compact and friendly pedestrian experience; an increase in either parkland or development area; a unique experience of skating at an elevated level looking out toward the lake and the city centre; and the establishment of an iconic and precedent-setting civic building.

The large capacity arena with 1,000 spectator seats is on the ground level, with a mezzanine level accommodating a warm viewing area and restaurant overlooking the ice pad. Above this, the three other arenas are stacked one on top of the other. Each of these has its own set of change rooms, spectator seating for 250, and viewing, multi-purpose, and community spaces on a mezzanine level. The overall height of the facility resembles that of an eight-storey building.

Access to all upper levels is via three or four large high-speed airport-style elevators. There is a large freight elevator connecting the mechanical areas at the north end of the building. Adjacent to the building on the west is a two level parking garage covered with a pedestrian plaza that is accessible from the mezzanine restaurant, and slopes down toward the landscaped top of bank of the new river valley.

The building is clad in a custom glass curtain wall, with semi transparent and opaque patterns and retractable shading devices, which will allow for dramatic east and west views from the upper arenas as well as views from the outside in from the street and plaza.

The advantage of stacking four pads, as opposed to two pads stacked on two or three pads stacked plus one adjacent, is three-fold: (i) minimization of the building’s footprint, thereby eliminating the “Big Box” effect of a long low building; (ii) maximum ongoing energy savings due to a reduced overall area of the building’s envelope; and (iii) reduction of the “back of house” portion of the building (service areas) resulting in a visually more interesting pedestrian experience. The option also retains the maximum amount of green space and/or lands for future development of related sport facilities such as aquatic facilities or gymnasiums.

____

Looking at the site plan, perhaps additional funds can be raised through density rights on the site where the "plaza" is?

AoD

Last edited:
I have to say I agree with Holyday when he says that this is the Rolls Royce of arenas and that you could probably have a few more rinks if you take a much more conservative approach. Paying double for 4 rinks makes little sense and there's no need for a rink to be LEED Gold certified. We have a huge rink shortage in this city, and that money could be used to put a huge dent in that shortage. Yes, I understand entirely the urban issues and the desire for a complex that fits the urban fabric, but I think this has gone a bit far.

jn_12:

I agree, in the sense that the additional 20M or so should be paid for via other sources and/or look into a phased approach (say, build 2 levels now, and 2 more when the funding becomes available). What I do not agree is compromise when using that site for this purpose. As to LEED Gold certification - that's a requirement by WT I believe.

AoD

Last edited:

Back