News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Why was the road bridge prioritized over the transit bridge?
The bridge they get allows streetcars onto Villiers Island. And that's not expected to go into service for years (though why they can't just do the Cherry underpass as part of the Gardiner work ending in 2030 and extend the 504A in the interim, until they can rebuild the Union streetcar terminal I don't know).

I have no idea when they are planning to start developing along Commissioners, east of the new Don River bridge. They've got all the land bounded by the new Gardiner along the tracks, the Don, Keating Channel, and Parliament street first - which I think is even bigger than Villiers Island!

This is where the Portland tracks will crossover the Lake Shore to go under the RR corridor that will be near the north pier support of the Gardiner
53621012138_be9ebfee85_b.jpg
Though that section of the Gardiner will be demolished, with the new link, much narrower and hugging the tracks.

Back