News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Whatever happened to the Exhibition Loop/Dufferin loop connector? It's one of those projects like the Dundas West tunnel to Bloor GO...lots of talk, nothing gets built.

I assume the Ontario Line killed it?
They already demolished the "Centennial" building east of the Dufferin Gates. That building was built on the cheap.

1674863600112.png

1674863665382.png

1674863732087.png

1674863797932.png

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the Exhibition Loop/Dufferin loop connector? It's one of those projects like the Dundas West tunnel to Bloor GO...lots of talk, nothing gets built.

I doubt the OL killed it, but it likely added some delays and complications. One thing as it stands is the streetcar loop will be a terrible connection to the OL station. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see a rethink of the loop (if possible), along with whatever changes to the Dufferin connection are needed.

Is it just me, or does it make sense to maybe have a stop on the loop itself, near the new park in the east, rather than using the loop just to turn streetcars around.

I doubt the OL killed it, but it likely added some delays and complications. One thing as it stands is the streetcar loop will be a terrible connection to the OL station. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see a rethink of the loop (if possible), along with whatever changes to the Dufferin connection are needed.
Why is the loop a problem for the OL when both service different areas and markets, unless the OL is going further west than it plan for? Is there a plan floating around as to an extension what it will look like that we don't know of other than vision what it may look like by this board??

Oh my, this what you get for relocating an existing loop to the outback to built an convention centre as well tear down heritage buildings for it.

Then, just think what you could do for this area if we had duel end cars that only need stub tracks than a loop, let along through track's,

Until a final design for the GO station as well the OL station including wider tunnels under the rail corridor that has been approved, the extension will remain on hold. You can't do anything with an extension if it was built yesterday until they build the new Dufferin Bridge which may happen in 2024 by being built and will not be ready until 2025. Work is supposed to be in 2024/25 for rebuilding Dufferin Loop and have forgot the real timeframe for it.

Unless the bean counter come up with a number for building a number of wide tunnels, it going to be a nightmare to get from one side to the other for the corridor as well to/from the OL station. You need 3 tunnels.

Both the TTC and Metrolinx have stated it isn’t dead - design is just in hold while Metrolinx finalizes the new Exhibition station.

Indeed, not killed by the Ontario line, but certainly delayed:

"The TTC completed the Preliminary Design and Engineering for the Exhibition Loop-Dufferin Gate Loop Streetcar Extension in early 2020. The project has been partly on hold pending the outcome of the design for the various adjacent projects, but this work will be restarted as area planning and design becomes finalized."​

Indeed, not killed by the Ontario line, but certainly delayed:

"The TTC completed the Preliminary Design and Engineering for the Exhibition Loop-Dufferin Gate Loop Streetcar Extension in early 2020. The project has been partly on hold pending the outcome of the design for the various adjacent projects, but this work will be restarted as area planning and design becomes finalized."​
Key word is "delayed". There are those on city council and bureaucrats that are hoping it would be delayed, delayed, and delayed to the point of forgetfulness. We have to keep reminding them.

Have you see this happen over by the fire station as I haven't seen it, let alone other parts of the corridor??
I didn't go back in the thread far enough to understand the context of this discussion, but I lived on St Clair in various apartments for 10 years, and I can confirm that the fire station on Hendrick always uses the streetcar ROW. There is even a ramp up to the tracks at that intersection. I've also seen police and fire use the ROW around Lansdowne.

I didn't go back in the thread far enough to understand the context of this discussion, but I lived on St Clair in various apartments for 10 years, and I can confirm that the fire station on Hendrick always uses the streetcar ROW. There is even a ramp up to the tracks at that intersection. I've also seen police and fire use the ROW around Lansdowne.
All I was stating, I have never seen fire, police or EMS use the row since day one. Have see the fire department cross the tracks by the station, but that is it considering how often I was up there on an monthly based until a few months ago. Others may have seen it, but never been stated until now. Is also applies to other ones as well.

All I was stating, I have never seen fire, police or EMS use the row since day one. Have see the fire department cross the tracks by the station, but that is it considering how often I was up there on an monthly based until a few months ago. Others may have seen it, but never been stated until now. Is also applies to other ones as well.
I think we can now all accept that SOME fire, police etc use the ROW and some do not. Should all use it? Maybe, if it is faster. Do those who do not use it, not do so because they think it's too narrow or ???

Nobody doubts the QQE LRT is a good idea and this has been the case since about 2010 when the mantra was "transit first". There has been discussion of details but not the concept. What has been lacking, and still is, is political commitment and $. While it's good to see the Waterfront BIA keeping it on the radar, I am not sure that's enough.

Back