News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
John Tory pushes for work to start on Toronto's Waterfront Transit and Eglinton East lines

From link.

The future of transit is Toronto is shaping up to be a heck of a lot more advanced than it is currently, with a handful of major projects set to transform the city and how its residents move within the next few years.

Among these are things as largescale and well-known as the contentious Ontario Line subway that will span the city or the nearly-completed Eglinton Crosstown LRT and its extension to Pearson Airport, and things as easy to implement as designated transit priority lanes on key thoroughfares.

On top of the aforementioned, there are various GO expansions, plans for the Finch West and Hurontario LRTs, and Scarborough and Yonge subway extensions due from Metrolinx over the coming decade.

And, two other long-awaited lines that we may finally end up seeing sooner rather than later: the Waterfront Transit Network and the Eglinton East LRT, both of which Mayor John Tory revealed yesterday he'll be pushing at the City's Executive Committee meeting next week.

The Waterfront solution, which the city endorsed in 2018, is slated to create a cohesive network along the Harbourfront from Lakeshore and Long Branch to Woodbine and Queen, including expanded streetcar service — something the mayor reiterates is integral given the amount of rapid development taking place in the area, which includes but is not limited to the all-new Villiers Island community.

1607112578-waterfront2.jpg

Meanwhile, the Eglinton East LRT, which is in a later stage of planning, will run 21 stops over 15 km eastward from Kennedy Station to Malvern.

Tory is now asking that the latest plans for both lines be approved by City Council ASAP to get the ball rolling.

1607112611-egeast.jpg

"These projects will bring more transit to two areas that absolutely need it: Scarborough and the Waterfront," Tory said at a press conference on Thursday, adding that the city needs to "get to work on building" these important transit connections.

"We have to keep moving transit forward in all parts of our city, and that's why we're moving ahead with these two projects and why we're continuing to work with the province to move forward its major transit projects."

Once the proposals are approved, the City will move forward with assessing costs, business plans and schedules for completion of the work.

IIRC, the announcement only covers Bayfront East. It's confusing, because the Mayor referred to "Waterfront" transit, but I didn't see anything in the reports about the west side of the line.

A January PIC Public meeting on line will be held for the current up date and can't release the plans for it at this time, but once I get the new ones this week. There will be 2 more PIC by the summer.

Current plans calls for a redesign of the Yonge Slip that will have more public space than before, but allowing for 5 buses and 3 taxis layover. Taxis's will be still be an issues like they are on QQ. It will have a Wave deck like Jarvis.

The portal will be west of Yonge St now with QQ road being converted to match the west side of Bay St.

Part of the current QQ station will be rebuilt and see the current track crossing remove. A new tunnel will be built not only under the Bay tracks, but also the QQE tracks. Access to QQE tunnel is only from the inbound platform. New entrance/exit will be built in the new 11 Bay tower. Question raise by me about having a ramp in place of an elevator and stairs that will be look at for the next meeting.

TTC is showing a T connection that will allow for east-west service that needs to be there in the first place. The problem with through line service is where the east end will end since there is a movement to build it 100% now. The big drawback is where is the funding for 2B and what is the timeline to build it. There is talk of taking the line over the New Keating Channel and looping it there, but where is the funding for it? As I noted in July, there is no approve EA for the Cherry St underpass nor funding for 2B at this time. The TRAP will be use for 2B and the underpass now.

The new QQ road extension will be on the north side of the silo's that will bend around them and be next to them. The street to the Lake Shore there will be call Silo St.

The new TRAP and 30% design for all phases must be in the hands of council by Oct 2021 so funding is put in 2022 budget to start the work. The TRAP is to see the 120 day approval stage by the summer that will be follow by review of the competed report and go to MOE for approval this year.

TTC still pushing the Bremmer line, but with the Ontario Line now going west and the Bremmer Line not carry forward under the Reset Study, the end is almost at hand for it. An BRT may replace it and that pushing it.

53 on line for the meeting and a long time since I seen high numbers for a meeting.

Watch for comments from Steve Munro on this.

More to come.

Last edited:
@drum118 - while I am appreciative, you do realize there is the note "not for distribution" on the slides right? Just don't want anyone to get into trouble...

AoD
It can be pass on to various groups members now. I represent transit and since this is a transit group, I can pass it on for feed back from the group.

idk why but that streetcar loop irrationally excites me, it looks so damn cool

Between the O.G. renovations, the new bus terminal, the upcoming south concourse, track electrification, widened platforms, and now the expanded streetcar loop, Union Station is going to be so beautifully complex when all is said and done

I usually don't care for the wOrLd cLaSs CiTy discussions cause I feel like it's a bit adolescent, but Union Station's ultimate form will definitely enhance Toronto's feel as a premier global hub. It will easily be one of if not the greatest train station in all of North America come 2030 ish

Last edited:
As for the rest of the waterfront transit upgrades, controlling costs is important (provided it's not at the expense of station capacity or route distance) so I think moving the portal is a smart idea. I don't actually mind the bus/taxi loop in front of the slip anymore, since it appears to leave a lot of room for a quality pedestrian environment at the shore. One thing I think ought to be added is a crosswalk immediately to the east of the traffic circle, to facilitate access between queen's quay/the hotel and the waterfront/southmost bus bay. Potentially a raised crosswalk to ensure vehicle calmness.

As well, I'm sure the Bremner line will be built at some point in the future, regardless of current medium-term considerations. Accommodating its future inclusion is very smart.

idk why but that streetcar loop irrationally excites me, it looks so damn cool

Between the O.G. renovations, the new bus terminal, the upcoming south concourse, track electrification, widened platforms, and now the expanded streetcar loop, Union Station is going to be so beautifully complex when all is said and done

I usually don't care for the wOrLd cLaSs CiTy discussions cause I feel like it's a bit adolescent, but Union Station's ultimate form will definitely enhance Toronto's feel as a premier global hub. It will easily be one of if not the greatest train station in all of North America come 2030

Union is already the second busiest train station in North America at any rate.

As for the rest of the waterfront transit upgrades, controlling costs should be a priority so I think moving the portal is a smart idea. I don't actually mind the bus/taxi loop in front of the slip anymore, since it appears to leave a lot of room for a quality pedestrian environment closer to shore (one thing I think ought to be added is a crosswalk immediately to the east of the traffic circle, to facilitate access between queen's quay/the hotel and the waterfront/southmost bus bay. Potentially a raised crosswalk to ensure vehicle calmness)

I can understand why Union Station LRT terminal is planned as is - but the QQ station expansion seem to be a little bit on steroids (and you can see one reason why looking at that plan - the much of the build will be taken up by support spaces - good chunk of it is no doubt building code requirements, but it adds a lot of cost).

AoD

Last edited:
Union is already the second busiest train station in North America at any rate.

Huh. That makes perfect sense, given the lack of competition lmao. After all the enhancements I'm guessing it'll be the single busiest station on the continent

I can understand why Union Station LRT terminal is planned as is - but the QQ station expansion seem to be a little bit on steroids (and you can see one reason why looking at that plan - the much of the build will be taken up by support spaces - good chunk of it is no doubt building code requirements, but it adds a lot of cost).

There appears to be a desire to directly link QQ station with the 11 Bay development and (eventually) the Jack Layton ferry terminal and Westin. If the plan for the Toronto Islands coming out this year is as transformative as we've been hoping (a pretty big if), and the waterfront area continues to grow as an employment and population centre (not a big if at all), I suspect ridership growth would easily warrant the costs

Of course, construction can definitely be phased if necessary.

Last edited:

Back