News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
Almost 30 years now since the Western Waterfront LRT was first talked about as a must have for the HBS redevelopment.

The eastern section can wait. I'm still going to vote PC - the western section was already planned to take a back seat to the eastern. Not really concerned by potentially not getting an LRT in 2032 (the current date for WWLRT).

I'm reaching that stage in my life where I'm going to be very selfish - government largess has largely gone unnoticed by me (either where I live, where I work, or in my pocketbook), therefore...

Almost 30 years now since the Western Waterfront LRT was first talked about as a must have for the HBS redevelopment.

The eastern section can wait. I'm still going to vote PC - the western section was already planned to take a back seat to the eastern. Not really concerned by potentially not getting an LRT in 2032 (the current date for WWLRT).

I'm reaching that stage in my life where I'm going to be very selfish - government largess has largely gone unnoticed by me (either where I live, where I work, or in my pocketbook), therefore...
I understand why many people want to get rid of the Liberals and are worried by an NDP government but I find it hard to see why anyone with any intelligence would vote PC based on their 'platform', the obvious rot in their party, their current leader or many of their candidates. The eastern waterfront LRT is a vital part of the redevelopment of that area and building condos, offices and rental units there. The original plan from Waterfront Toronto was to build Transit First. If you have ever been there you will realise that the existing bus routes (primarily the 75 and 6) are at capacity and the streets cannot really deal with more traffic going to subway. Unless the waterfront east LRT is built I am sure development there will start to taper off - WT put it as their top priority. The EA showed clearly that an LRT was really the only viable solution - it REALLY needs to be built.

I understand why many people want to get rid of the Liberals and are worried by an NDP government but I find it hard to see why anyone with any intelligence would vote PC based on their 'platform', the obvious rot in their party, their current leader or many of their candidates. The eastern waterfront LRT is a vital part of the redevelopment of that area and building condos, offices and rental units there. The original plan from Waterfront Toronto was to build Transit First. If you have ever been there you will realise that the existing bus routes (primarily the 75 and 6) are at capacity and the streets cannot really deal with more traffic going to subway. Unless the waterfront east LRT is built I am sure development there will start to taper off - WT put it as their top priority. The EA showed clearly that an LRT was really the only viable solution - it REALLY needs to be built.
HBS is sputtering along with over development even with no transit. You'll manage.

Someone should convince Doug Ford to build relief line west all the way to Roncesvallles instead of Waterfront West LRT since he likes subways so much. Just add a GO, streetcar and relief line hub there and that should resolve the HBS situation.

Not to derail this into politics but I find this amusing as the PC party has the worst financial plan. At least Patrick Brown was competent, and would've had a detailed financial platform many weeks ago.

HBS is sputtering along with over development even with no transit. You'll manage.

That's exactly why transit is needed in the area - "over development". We should be proactive with our transit planning and not reactive. That's akin to saying Scarborough residents have been sputtering along for years now, they can manage with no transit strategy.

Not to derail this into politics but I find this amusing as the PC party has the worst financial plan. At least Patrick Brown was competent, and would've had a detailed financial platform many weeks ago.

That's exactly why transit is needed in the area - "over development". We should be proactive with our transit planning and not reactive. That's akin to saying Scarborough residents have been sputtering along for years now, they can manage with no transit strategy.
I'm personally just looking for some tax cuts to offset other increases in my cost of living...

WWLRT was first planned in the late 80s as a must have for HBS redevelopment. We're now in 2018 and the earliest the TTC is looking at opening the western section is 2032 - a full 43 years since it was first decided as a must have. Development continued and there will be about 30k-40k people in that small spit of land by 2032 with no transit. That's what we have on the western edge of Toronto.

Eastern waterfront? Still models on a map, and now suddenly it's deemed a higher priority than the western section choking at the seams. This is exactly why I no longer give a crap about grand transit plans and visions - me and my neighbours always seem to get screwed. So why should I foot the bill?

I'm personally just looking for some tax cuts to offset other increases in my cost of living...

... I no longer give a crap about grand transit plans and visions - me and my neighbours always seem to get screwed. So why should I foot the bill?
No doubt you are also looking for more health care, more day care, better schools, better roads and, probably, better transit where YOU live! You cannot have more (of almost anything) without taxes. (Could they be fairer? Probably.) Have you read any of the most recent transit studies on Waterfront? If not you might want to. See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...studies-initiatives/waterfront-transit-reset/

WWLRT was first planned in the late 80s as a must have for HBS redevelopment. We're now in 2018 and the earliest the TTC is looking at opening the western section is 2032 - a full 43 years since it was first decided as a must have. Development continued and there will be about 30k-40k people in that small spit of land by 2032 with no transit. That's what we have on the western edge of Toronto.

Eastern waterfront? Still models on a map, and now suddenly it's deemed a higher priority than the western section choking at the seams. This is exactly why I no longer give a crap about grand transit plans and visions - me and my neighbours always seem to get screwed. So why should I foot the bill?

So you're willing to vote for the PC's and watch Ontario's deficit to grow even larger: Just so you save a few dollars?

Doug Ford has promised the world: Transit expansion, tax cuts, and not a single cut in services. None of this adds up and just like Bush's "read my lips: no new taxes" line, something he's promised will end up in the dump, whether that be transit expansion, tax cuts, or jobs.

Funny enough, the conservatives are the only ones not supporting transit to Humber Bay.

They support the Park Lawn GO station. I don't think you can say the NDP and the Liberals support transit to HBS when the timeframe for the western section is 14 years from now. How many governments is that?

So you're willing to vote for the PC's and watch Ontario's deficit to grow even larger: Just so you save a few dollars?

Doug Ford has promised the world: Transit expansion, tax cuts, and not a single cut in services. None of this adds up and just like Bush's "read my lips: no new taxes" line, something he's promised will end up in the dump, whether that be transit expansion, tax cuts, or jobs.
Yep - :)

They support the Park Lawn GO station. I don't think you can say the NDP and the Liberals support transit to HBS when the timeframe for the western section is 14 years from now. How many governments is that?
and they want to kill waterfront LRT.

And all parties support Park Lawn GO.

The PCs will literally be the worst party for HBS in terms of transit, I don't know how you could debate that.

Sure Waterfront West may be 14 years away.. but Doug will just make it 18 years.

You will suffer GREAT buyer's regret - look at the 4 lost years at City Hall when the other clown was there!.
Look quite frankly I'm trying to be less naive moving forward.

I voted for the Liberals last time - all they managed to do since then is dangle a GO station in front of us and delay the WWLRT by another 10 years. So really that's what I'm going with when thinking about Liberals.

NDP - no thanks - I'm not in an income bracket where I'll benefit from their government.

Back