News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Really, talking time is LONG past; QQE and further east were declared "Transit First" neighbourhoods in about 2010 and .....
It is really a total failure of city planning that they built all of those huge buildings without building the QQE streetcar. There are thousands of people living there now who need cars because the city has never provided any decent transit.

And people wonder why traffic on the Lakeshore is so bad...

It is really a total failure of city planning that they built all of those huge buildings without building the QQE streetcar. There are thousands of people living there now who need cars because the city has never provided any decent transit.

And people wonder why traffic on the Lakeshore is so bad...
In truth, it's not the PLANNING that failed it is the fact that the politicians did not allocate $$$ to enable the plans to be executed.

In truth, it's not the PLANNING that failed it is the fact that the politicians did not allocate $$$ to enable the plans to be executed.
Yeah, I meant planning on the broader level where you actually need to have a plan and deliver it. And this one has been a total failure. Even though I personally love going to Sugar Beach and the playground there.

Reactions: DSC
It's 100% Dougie's fault and his unwillingness to fund streetcars in the city. Unfortunately I expect this project to flounder as long as he is premier.
The city could have easily afforded it itself if it wasn't rebuilding the Gardiner. But the choice of Cars over transit users is always won by cars at city hall.

The city couldve afforded it had we not had status quo mayors, and dope induced austerity mayors who never had any foresight to manage Toronto in a way where we could actually keep up with growth.

It's ok though, we wont see this being built anytime soon so we can read and enjoy some coffee while reading these pointless presentations.

I wonder if any provisions will be made for the once planned Bremner streetcar. Or maybe that ship has sailed already.

I wonder if any provisions will be made for the once planned Bremner streetcar. Or maybe that ship has sailed already.
They are deliberately keeping the support pillars out of the path of the curves for a potential Bremner route. It got identfied in a silde from what I believe was the last presentation, so not dead yet.

I still hold out hope that if SkyDome ever gets rebuilt they can build a cut and cover tunnel and underground station concurrently with the rest of it and give the new stadium direct transit access that isn't impacted by the game day road closures.

The empty Transit First slogan will be 20 years old next year, and the design for the new Union platforms was substantially set by 2008. Multiple elected politicians did nothing about it, to the extent that no single person is responsible for this failure.

They are deliberately keeping the support pillars out of the path of the curves for a potential Bremner route. It got identfied in a silde from what I believe was the last presentation, so not dead yet.

I still hold out hope that if SkyDome ever gets rebuilt they can build a cut and cover tunnel and underground station concurrently with the rest of it and give the new stadium direct transit access that isn't impacted by the game day road closures.
The plans (hopes?) for the rebuilt streetcar loop at Union do not seem to allow for even more cars coming into it so IF the Bremner line ever happens it will need to be extended (again).

The plans (hopes?) for the rebuilt streetcar loop at Union do not seem to allow for even more cars coming into it so IF the Bremner line ever happens it will need to be extended (again).

The Union Streetcar Loop design has issues, as far as I'm concerned, but I've previously expressed those; at this point, I would say, I think its time to formally nix the idea of Bremner.

1) Plans w/no substance or priority behind them are deceptive, and waste at least some resources and opportunities.

2) I see relatively low value vs $ expended

3) If you nix that, I think you can look at Cycle Tracks, fully separated, along Bremner and further streetscape/pedestrian improvements as well, that are largely precluded now with place holder space for an LRT.

The Union Streetcar Loop design has issues, as far as I'm concerned, but I've previously expressed those; at this point, I would say, I think its time to formally nix the idea of Bremner.

1) Plans w/no substance or priority behind them are deceptive, and waste at least some resources and opportunities.

2) I see relatively low value vs $ expended

3) If you nix that, I think you can look at Cycle Tracks, fully separated, along Bremner and further streetscape/pedestrian improvements as well, that are largely precluded now with place holder space for an LRT.
I think Bremner is really dead - just not officially confirmed. Time to move on, nothing to see here! That said, I agree it would be best to really kill it so that the street could be fixed!

I'm wondering if the city could fund the 2 Waterfront LRT projects, or at lest WF East, or even just the Unin loop rebuild - using a dedicated surtax scheme, similar to the one used for SSE starting early 201x. The funds were earmarked for SSE, then reallocated to Eg East, but it is not enough to fund the whole Eg East and the funds collected are sitting idle in some saving account.

Perhaps those could be used now to advance the Waterfront streetcars, and maybe some more collected using the same mechanism to complete those projects. Not depending on the Province in this case.

I'm wondering if the city could fund the 2 Waterfront LRT projects, or at lest WF East, or even just the Unin loop rebuild - using a dedicated surtax scheme, similar to the one used for SSE starting early 201x. The funds were earmarked for SSE, then reallocated to Eg East, but it is not enough to fund the whole Eg East and the funds collected are sitting idle in some saving account.

Perhaps those could be used now to advance the Waterfront streetcars, and maybe some more collected using the same mechanism to complete those projects. Not depending on the Province in this case.
Hard to do if you promise "No new taxes or tax increases"

Back