News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Don't forget the Fushion Homes development near the Kitchener Market! More transit-oriented/LRT-spurred development

Wow KW is booming.

I've been looking at the designs here: http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/projectinformation/functionaldesignplans.asp

I find it interesting that the ROW splits into two one-way ROWs on different roads in Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I'm guessing it's because there wasn't a road wide enough for a full two-way ROW?

Hopefully the signage will make it easy to find the corresponding platform. If you take the LRT south to downtown Kitchener for example, you would not be able to return by going to the same platform that you arrived at. You'd have to find the northbound platform a couple of blocks away.

The ROW does split in both Uptown and Downtown because there wasn't enough space to maintain vehicular traffic *and* 2 LRT lanes in each direction. This split no doubt will make the system difficult to use for those that won't use it on a regular basis (tourists, the occasional rider), but it presents an oppourtunity to increase the LRT's coverage which could translate to a larger development area in Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener.

For Uptown Waterloo at least, the distance between King and Caroline is tiny (like a 2 minute walk). Also, the stops at Allen have been revised to be a shared centre platform south of King/Allen instead of two separate stops.

The ROW does split in both Uptown and Downtown because there wasn't enough space to maintain vehicular traffic *and* 2 LRT lanes in each direction. This split no doubt will make the system difficult to use for those that won't use it on a regular basis (tourists, the occasional rider), but it presents an oppourtunity to increase the LRT's coverage which could translate to a larger development area in Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener.

I don't really buy the "increased coverage" aspect - see Human Transit for why. But yes, the split was mostly due to street space needed to maintain two-way regular traffic on every street and maintain some street parking to keep the BIA's happy.

Congratulations to Kitchener-Waterloo from me, also. A pity the Mayor of Cambridge decided to be a stick-in-the-mud, but 11-4 is a solid win.

I didn't read the whole thread, but the LRT isn't going into Cambridge? How can a city mayor nix a Regional project?

This also goes to show how much disunity there is between cities in RM's as opposed to the former Metro Toronto.

I didn't read the whole thread, but the LRT isn't going into Cambridge? How can a city mayor nix a Regional project?

It is how regional government works.....matters of a regional nature (and expenditure) are handled by the regional council and the Mayor of Cambridge is a member of Regional Council.....they get a vote. What is surprising to me is how the vote went. Region of Waterloo has 3 cities and a 4 townships.....2 of the 3 city mayors voted against the plan yet it still carried with a significant majority.....what that means is the Mayors of Waterloo and Cambridge did not get much support from the additional regional councillors (2 each) that represent those cities.

This also goes to show how much disunity there is between cities in RM's as opposed to the former Metro Toronto.

I believe the Cambridge section will be a BRT and the plan is to convert to LRT later.

What is surprising to me is how the vote went. Region of Waterloo has 3 cities and a 4 townships.....2 of the 3 city mayors voted against the plan yet it still carried with a significant majority.....what that means is the Mayors of Waterloo and Cambridge did not get much support from the additional regional councillors (2 each) that represent those cities.

More specifically: the final vote in favour was from two councillors from Waterloo, three councillors and the Mayor from Kitchener, one councillor from Cambridge, two township mayors, and the Regional Chair. One township mayor was supportive but absent for the vote and another had a conflict of interest. Opposed were a Cambridge councillor and the mayor (because Cambridge doesn't get LRT in first phase but shares the costs), the Waterloo mayor (because "Waterloo doesn't want it"), and a Kitchener councillor (supports LRT but not a P3 approach).

I believe the Cambridge section will be a BRT and the plan is to convert to LRT later.

It will be 'aBRT' - which is a slightly spruced up version of the iXpress 200 that currently travels the corridor, with nicer stations, a few queue-jump lanes, and stops that better match the planned LRT alignment. It's supposed to be operational, with whatever that might entail, by early 2015.

Work on the assessment for LRT stage 2 to Cambridge is supposed to start this summer.

Correct. The Mayor of Cambridge wanted LRT from the start, and as he couldn't get that, he was dead against the whole idea of LRT. Nose. Spite. Face.

I don't really buy the "increased coverage" aspect - see Human Transit for why. But yes, the split was mostly due to street space needed to maintain two-way regular traffic on every street and maintain some street parking to keep the BIA's happy.
Thanks for this link. Very insightful, and true. This issue will be corrected in 30 years when we'll be planning on tunneling the LRT through downtown Kitchener, and we can implement a bi-directional route :p.

So the aBRT will *not* get its own dedicated ROW?
That's correct. The aBRT will essentially be the current ixpress route with upgraded shelters, a few queue lanes at major intersections, and a few more stops along Hespeler Road.

Correct. The Mayor of Cambridge wanted LRT from the start, and as he couldn't get that, he was dead against the whole idea of LRT. Nose. Spite. Face.
This.

I've never heard of "aBRT" (what does the 'a' stand for?). To me it does not seem like true BRT because it doesn't have its own ROW, but it could very well be good enough for now.

I've never heard of "aBRT" (what does the 'a' stand for?). To me it does not seem like true BRT because it doesn't have its own ROW, but it could very well be good enough for now.

adapted BRT, it'll do everything except grade separating the route. It's mostly a mixture of ITS technology implementation, modified stop spacing, better vehicles (marketing) and higher frequencies, along with generally faster trip times.

Back