News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

If Cambridge wants LRT, then run it down the middle of the street like Kitchener. Or simply between Preston and Galt, rather than diverting up to Hesleper.
Uh, it doesn't go to Hespeler...

It does run south via Hespeler Road, which is, you know, the road that actually can fit a right of way and has development potential. Most of King / Coronation isn't developable and/or has no room for the right of way. The rail corridoron the other hand is CPs access to Toyota and not being pulled out of freight use any time soon. I'm not going to claim there's NO cost from crossing east to Hespeler Rd, but the two river crossings are a much bigger part of why the cost is so high than the bit of viaduct north of Eagle St. Frankly the talk of going by way of Maple Grove makes more sense than a direct Preston - Galt route.

Uh, it doesn't go to Hespeler...
When I say the Ontario Line is going up to Eglinton, I'm not saying it's going to the old village of Eglinton at the corner of Eglinton and Yonge. What I said was clear, there's no reason to be pedantic and ... uh ... Bureaucratic ... hmm.

Most of King / Coronation isn't developable and/or has no room for the right of way. The rail corridoron the other hand is CPs access to Toyota and not being pulled out of freight use any time soon. I'm not going to claim there's NO cost from crossing east to Hespeler Rd, but the two river crossings are a much bigger part of why the cost is so high than the bit of viaduct north of Eagle St. Frankly the talk of going by way of Maple Grove makes more sense than a direct Preston - Galt route.
If it's really that bad, then the project simply should be dead. I was always surprised that the potential ridership could come close to justifying it (though I haven't seen the numbers.

If they can run through downtown Kitchener, there must be Cambridge options. What about one way on King/Coronation and the other on Galt, moving onto the CN alignment, and then along the CP south of that, which is wide enough.

But is CP ROW that narrow - it's only one track. They really can't squeeze two more tracks and a gap?

Also, looking quickly at aerial photos ... King/Coronation is 4 lanes wide Doesn't seem much difference than King Street through downtown (uptown? :) ) Waterloo. I'm not sure what's different about Cambridge that rules that out.

What’s so terrible about Hespeler to you? This is where the city is going to be getting actual density.
Nothing but the distance and cost to service it. I haven't driven down Hespeler Road for a while, but it all seemed pretty suburban to me.

I haven't seen the long-term plan for Cambridge development though. Is it easily accessible somewhere?

Nothing but the distance and cost to service it. I haven't driven down Hespeler Road for a while, but it all seemed pretty suburban to me.

I haven't seen the long-term plan for Cambridge development though. Is it easily accessible somewhere?
It is suburban, but that’s kind of the point; the alternatives are old town cores that are much more constrained between how difficult it is to disrupt residential communities, historic designations and straight up availability of large sites.

as far as documents:
Regional Official Plan
City OP
Hespeler Rd Secondary Plan (draft)

A few tedious pics of the site for the new Terminal. Not a thing seems to have happened since the antediluvian, still, notices lately have indicated that detailed design work is being done at this point, and the bus dropoff and pickup area will be the first to be worked on.
Link to a CBC article here.

The fenced-off lot whereon la Terminal is to sit. (Looking north-ish from King W & Victoria)
DSC_0010b.jpg

Looking easterly along Victoria from King W.
The area to the left of the white "Region Of Waterloo Transit Hub" sign will hold most of the station proper, the area between it and the reddish Rumpel Felt Building will be for bus pickup and dropoff.
DSC_0013 (2).JPG

A view from just a few steps north on King W...
The foreground area that's mostly field here will be mostly open plaza according to the current plans. I have to admit, this is part of the plan that seems a bit odd. Personally, I'd rather have a bit more indoor space to the terminal with some more retail in it and/or enlivening the street outside. But, whatevah.
DSC_0016b.jpg

The whole site looking east-ish from the west side of King St. W
DSC_0022.JPG

A database page and building thread have been created for the King Victoria Transit Hub.

Earlier posts from this thread relevant to the transit hub have been copied over. Please use that thread for discussion relating the transit hub building specifically and continue to use this thread for discussion of general Waterloo Region transit developments. Thanks!

For those who closely followed both the Kitchener and Ottawa LRT construction and launch, what did Kitchener do correct that Ottawa didn't?

A database page and building thread have been created for the King Victoria Transit Hub.

Earlier posts from this thread relevant to the transit hub have been copied over. Please use that thread for discussion relating the transit hub building specifically and continue to use this thread for discussion of general Waterloo Region transit developments. Thanks!
Wouldn't a transit station discussion be better off in this forum? That forum seems to drown in articles about tall buildings, making it hard to find other stuff.

Wouldn't a transit station discussion be better off in this forum? That forum seems to drown in articles about tall buildings, making it hard to find other stuff.

Ooo, good point. The Transportation and Infrastructure section is the only one I browse here at UT. So yeah, great for it to have it's own thread instead of here in ION's, but probably best (for me, lol) over in this section.

Transit stations, being both buildings and infrastructure, could fit into either section, but we have been keeping any projects constituting a new building in the that section, including numerous new TTC & GO stations.

If you are interested in this project but not in other buildings, I recommend setting up notifications on the thread!

Transit stations, being both buildings and infrastructure, could fit into either section, but we have been keeping any projects constituting a new building in the that section, including numerous new TTC & GO stations.
There's TTC are GO station threads in the building forum?!? That's news to me. There's been many here in the past. Heck, I've started some.

Are they in a subforum over there? I do pop in there from time to time, and haven't seen them. They must be buried deep, much of the time.

Also, the KW one isn't in Toronto. Do we need two threads for Waterloo transit?

Back