8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Johnny Crash

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've never been one to be too concerned with appearances, so the occasional trip to Magicuts has always sufficed for me, but it's frustrating because I can never articulate what I want. (Really, all I want is for it to be short, but that's never good enough for them).

So I'm looking for a competent stylist who can create a good look for me without my needing to hold their hand or bring an extensive photo reference library. Location (within Toronto) is no object.

As for price, I would prefer to spend no more than $35, but I will if I have to.

I use Donna Volpy at Salon Daniel in Yorkville. She has won multiple awards. A bit more than $35 though.

I go to Aveda too ... but not for the sexy females. It's a good price, but the stylists are students, so they're just learning. I've had good and bad cuts there. You can pay more and get a more experienced person if you choose. And be careful of the upsell; they love to convince you that you need product!

I need to find a place downtown that is no more than $25. More than that for a basic mens haircut is far too much money.
Right now I go to The Barber's Chair in Square One.

I'll probably just hit up House of Lords.

Last edited:
I go to Toni & Guy.

Great styles, very contemporary and "with it", and you get a free touch-up between haircuts. Basically two cuts for the price of one!

Do guys go to "stylists"?

I go to Aristotelis at Richmond and Spadina. 20 bucks and the guys know their soccer.

I go here.

Before I left Toronto, 20 bucks for a haircut seemed like way too much. Two years in Tokyo and 80 bucks doesn't faze me at all.

I go to Toni & Guy.

Great styles, very contemporary and "with it", and you get a free touch-up between haircuts. Basically two cuts for the price of one!
Same here. I only actually use my touch up every other cut or so though, I keep forgetting I have it :p That's a great place there though.

The OP is requesting advice on a place where he can get his hair cut without actually having to articulate exactly what he wants. So Johnny Crash, you're going to have to find somebody you like and stick with them. They'll learn your style and your tastes and begin to cut your hair without much fuss. You'll also want to get a stylist rather than a barbershop. The stylist will become your "personal advisor" on everything to do with your hair.

Right now, I've been going to TheBay on Queen St. It's $25 but without mentioning names, the person I cut my hair with is beginning to lag behind in the contemporary department so I'm going to begin searching for a young stylist that can offer me advice. Keep up the posts :)

Back