News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I must thank some UT regulars for introducing me to some damn good Canadian indie/alternative artists. CDL.TO got me into Arcade Fire big time and I have been getting a better appeciation for other Canadian acts like Sam Roberts and Sloan, and now more so into the other independent groups.

I've been listening to CBC Radio 3 today (I wish they could get regular FM broadcasting, at least in the larger cities), it is great, except I can't find the artist or song name they are playing.

AMANDA MARSHALL

Sunday Morning After

I woke up with a killer hangover
Hope it was worth all this pain
(I'd do it all over again)
By the time the party was over
Tequila was my claim to fame
(I couldn't remember my name)

I was dancing with Jake when I last saw my keys
That was my first mistake
'Cause, what happened to me?
I look down at my arm, baby
And something's lookin' back at me
And I cannot believe it

CHORUS:
Oh my God!-- I woke up with a snake tattoo
Oh my God!-- and I think that my tongue's pierced, too
Oh my God!-- Oh my God!
It's the Sunday morning after
And baby, who the hell are you?

I remember yelling, "Hey, DJ!"
"Jack the volume, I love this song!"
(And then it all gets hazy)
And my clothes are selling on e-bay
And I don't know what I'm gonna put on
(Where were my friends to save me?)

I blacked out I came to
And it's all such a blur
Had a blast, I assume
But I'm really not sure
Exactly where am I now, baby?
Wake up and tell me your name
'Cause this is insane

CHORUS

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!
My alter ego took over and took me on a fantasy ride
You can take me anywhere twice
But the second time will be to apologize

CHORUS x 2

Where am I...?, What am I...?, Who am I...?, How am I...?,
How did I...?...
2x

That's a crappy song (I don't think it's 90s though), but Amanda Marshall has some great stuff...definitely underrated. Beautiful Goodbye, Fall from Grace, etc.

Funeral by Arcade Fire is essential listening for anyone.

For sure. This and Broken Social Scene's "You Forgot it in People" are probably THE top/most important Canadian albums of the 00's. I guess from each album if you were looking for some sort of legendary song, you might have trouble ("Rebellion (lies)?", "Almost Crimes?") because they aren't top 40 type of tunes that everyone would know. However, I think it'd be pretty safe to say that their albums as a whole are top notch, and that both bands put on some of the best shows of any band out there.

Since this thread is going Toronto-Centric, I'm going to suggest Final Fantasy's "This is the Dream of Win and Regine", mainly because I can't get it out of my head after hearing it in "Toronto Stories" this past weekend.

I just have to throw in that while good, Arcade Fire are hardly a Canadian band. The core members are from Texas, and have lived in Canada a very short time.

I just have to throw in that while good, Arcade Fire are hardly a Canadian band. The core members are from Texas, and have lived in Canada a very short time.

According to Wikipedia, of the six core members two of them are from Texas (and are brothers) and four are from Canada. It certainly isn't an American band, that's for sure.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, of the six core members two of them are from Texas (and are brothers) and four are from Canada. It certainly isn't an American band, that's for sure.

While Canadians may be present in larger numbers, the band was formed in the US, and it is my understanding that the Texans (particularly Win Butler) have larger songwriting responsibilities than the other members. Quality and quantity. I'm not sure they're either Canadian or US, I don't think they're either, necessarily, but I don't think they can be called "Canadian". If they were terrible a lot more people would say they're from the US, i'm willing to bet.

While Canadians may be present in larger numbers, the band was formed in the US, and it is my understanding that the Texans (particularly Win Butler) have larger songwriting responsibilities than the other members. Quality and quantity. I'm not sure they're either Canadian or US, I don't think they're either, necessarily, but I don't think they can be called "Canadian". If they were terrible a lot more people would say they're from the US, i'm willing to bet.

They're Canadian. There might be a stronger case that Neil Young is American, but he is usually referred to as Canadian-American.

About that "horrible" remark, I don't claim that Simple Theory of a Dead Nickelback isn't Canadian.

Here's a question: Are the Pretenders American or British? After all, the lead singer is from Akron, Ohio.
Answer: They're British. Chrissie Hynde may be from Ohio (and sung a song about returning there) but the band is British. Formed in London.

Last edited:

Back