News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Nope, the polls showed just the opposite. Miller would have won handily if he had run again.
So what? I don't see much value in a poll about someone not running, especially someone who had already guaranteed he wouldn't run. And considering how Ford's support was undervalued right up to election day, the recent history of municipal polls is dubious at best.

Nope, the polls showed just the opposite. Miller would have won handily if he had run again.
That poll states that 40% would vote for Miller and 58% said they would vote for someone other than him if he was in it again.

First off, that hardly shows that he would have won handily, since he probably would have split votes with Smitherman. Secondly, had he won with 40%, that would still be far less of a mandate than Ford got with over 47%. Somehow Ford is invalid as a leader since 53% voted against him and only about 15% of eligible voters voted for him. Using that logic (and woth your poll claiming he would have won handily), 60% of people would have voted against Miller and only 12.75% of eleigible voters would have voted for him.

nyu is a bastyen for rich kids whose daddies paid there way in. it buys buys buys but cannot produce talent. hiring miller will only enhance they're mediocrity ..

yes, nyu is a community collge, "community" in sense that it is a breeding ground for limousine liberals and marxists who will go the rest of there lives whinging to the gov't for hand-outs

From your spelling I can tell that you might benefit from any eduction at all, perhaps grade seven.

nyu is a bastyen for rich kids whose daddies paid there way in. it buys buys buys but cannot produce talent. hiring miller will only enhance they're mediocrity ..

yes, nyu is a community collge, "community" in sense that it is a breeding ground for limousine liberals and marxists who will go the rest of there lives whinging to the gov't for hand-outs

I wonder where you went to school? Obviously there will be the 'limousine liberals' and whatever, but that's because it is located centrally in arguably the capital of the World.. but to generalize it like that is pretty dumb. NYU has some of the best programs in the US.

You sound a tad bitter. Did someone's application get rejected, Lansdown?

Did you seriously just refer to NYU as some "community college"?

It's not actually "NYU".... it's an affliate... http://www.poly.edu/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/06/14/david-miller-toronto-nyu568.html

I would say something to the likes of Seneca-York?

So much for spending more time with his kids eh?

I lived in Manhattan for 6 months for work...
FYI, NYU is not known for their academic prowess... The B- School has name recognition, but only because of it's location. I would say it's the equivelent of a Ryerson, with a few more decades of development

Last edited:
Not that I want to question your authority, being a six-month native of Manhattan as you are. However, an engineering university that offers graduate degrees is not even on the same planet as community colleges like Seneca. NYU-poly could be the equivalent of Ryerson, I'm not sure. But definitely not NYU itself, which US News ranks as #33 in America. That puts NYU in the same league as schools like Berkley (22), U of Michigan (29). That's probably where many of Canada's top universities would be ranked as well.

Not that I want to question your authority, being a six-month native of Manhattan as you are. However, an engineering university that offers graduate degrees is not even on the same planet as community colleges like Seneca. NYU-poly could be the equivalent of Ryerson, I'm not sure. But definitely not NYU itself, which US News ranks as #33 in America. That puts NYU in the same league as schools like Berkley (22), U of Michigan (29). That's probably where many of Canada's top universities would be ranked as well.

the US News ranking is a joke. NYU is exhibit A in criticism against it. they've been playing to the methodology for years. u of t destroys nyu. this i get from a friend who's studied at both. but this argument is tangential and stupid and so am I!!

Now that we have a remote chance of getting back on topic, all through last night's meetings, one name kept coming back to my mind as the next mayor of Toronto: John Tory.

As the present situation with the offensive Ford twins wears on, the idea of an 'outsider' candidate with some class and patience, and a good set of ears, will become more and more attractive.

As for insiders, can anyone point out a current city councillor with some charisma, smarts, listening skills, and the ability to build alliances? Who shines? I have not spotted any insider with all of the above just yet, but there's plenty of time to do some observing.

Last edited:
That poll states that 40% would vote for Miller and 58% said they would vote for someone other than him if he was in it again.

First off, that hardly shows that he would have won handily, since he probably would have split votes with Smitherman. Secondly, had he won with 40%, that would still be far less of a mandate than Ford got with over 47%. Somehow Ford is invalid as a leader since 53% voted against him and only about 15% of eligible voters voted for him. Using that logic (and woth your poll claiming he would have won handily), 60% of people would have voted against Miller and only 12.75% of eleigible voters would have voted for him.

It sounds like Miller would have won with an overwhelming majority! Miller would have won and you would have lost!! Deal with it already!!!

Now that we have a remote chance of getting back on topic, all through last night's meetings, one name kept coming back to my mind as the next mayor of Toronto: John Tory.

As the present situation with the offensive Ford twins wears on, the idea of an 'outsider' candidate with some class and patience, and a good set of ears, will become more and more attractive.

As for insiders, can anyone point out a current city councillor with some charisma, smarts, listening skills, and the ability to build alliances? Who shines? I have not spotted any insider with all of the above just yet, but there's plenty of time to do some observing.

John Tory turned down the opportunity to run in the last election, his best shot ever at winning. The right was practically begging him to run. I doubt he'll run against Ford in the next election.

Josh Matlow has been winning me over as a centrist. However, the star of the show was Wong-Tam. She's really impressed me over the last couple of months and more still last night. However, both Matlow and KWT are rookie councillors and will likely want to keep their jobs for at least one more term before betting the farm. Shelly Carroll is the obvious front runner for me. Adam Vaughan was impressive last night as well but I can't see him winning over the outer city. He's too polarizing and non-compromising with the non-downtown crowd.

If Carroll runs and doesn't win, either Josh Matlow or Wong-Tam have a very good shot at being our next Mayor.

Interesting thread.

But I take the position that it is less about who the Mayor is and more about who the Councillors are. You could have the most visionary, progressive Mayor (if you think that's a good thing) but if the Councillors don't support her/him politically at Council or Committee, then it is all for naught. This last election was won/lost (depending on your viewpoint) in the pre-amalgamation suburbs for very good reasons, and the next one will be won/lost in the very same place. It's not about Ford/Miller/Tory/President Bartlett, so much as the Milczyns, Stintzes, Minnan-Wongs, Berardinettis, Thompsons, etc of this world.

How the process at City Hall goes is essentially like this:
(1) Councillors ask staff to undertake a report by popping into the office, or through Committee and Council / City Staff report to Committee and Council on a pre-determined schedule due to operational requirements
(2) Report from staff is released generally one week before the relevant Committee meeting through the agenda and is dealt with at Committee. This is where one can depute. Councillors decide to receive the report without recommendation and pass it along to Council / Make amendments and pass that along to Council / Accept the recommendation and pass it along to Council
(3) Council makes a decision
(4) Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

As strong as the Mayor's Office now is, it is still dependent upon support from the Councillors. Hence the ongoing attempt to handpick and stack the executives of all the Committees, Agencies, Boards, and Commissions that operate under and for the City of Toronto. It's also why one of the strongest ways to have your voices heard is still through the Councillors of this City with a cc: to the Mayor's office, and maybe a cc: to a newspaper reporter. That said, phone calls seem to carry more weight with this Council - makes for better rhetorical flourish during a debate, I suppose.

Anyway, back to my point, for those of you really upset by the events of this past week (whether for or against), there's about 1000 days to the next election - 1000 days to involve the communities of the old suburbs in visioning their neighbourhoods and communities and making that into the election issue regardless of whether one is running for the Mayor's office or the office of one of the many Councillors. And guess what, there's an official plan review underway as well. Anyone interested in trying to crowd-source an official plan alternative and get into the old suburbs, feel free to drop me a line. We could organise a meetup and see if we can tie into the Project 23 initiative. If you want, drop me a line. At worst, we can commiserate over a good meal.

Back to the point. these past 36(?) hours have been eye-opening to many. But the reality is, that this will need to happen again on the 19th of September at Executive Committee once more, on the 26th of September at Council, and again on the 27th of September at Council. And guess what, this will happen again in 2012 and the year after that, and the year after that. If you're an elected Official with a specific agenda that goes beyond simply being re-elected or getting onto a specific ABC because that's the extent of your sense of self, that is precisely upon what you are counting. You're relying upon the fact that at some point, people will tire because they have lives to lead, families to which they have to tend, attempt to save for their retirement and emergencies, and generally shit to do, and you will get your way.

The shape of this City going forward will be crafted as much by a long game as much as these victories/defeats in the interim.

If you're wondering where I get all this from, my background is in urban planning and my day job allows me to interact with elected officials fairly extensively and directly. It's fascinating, yet often disturbing, to watch the way choices are weighed by many of them. It's equal parts affirming of the way we work as a society, but often quite revolting when you realise how easily it can be manipulated.

Last edited:

Back