News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd rather Toronto be used as a stand in for Toronto, than New York. You can always tell when it's not NYC, because in reality the cities look nothing like each other -unless your film is set in Queens, then maybe...

For rep cinema, New York has some good options. Like the IFC theater and the Chelsea Clearview. We used to go to Thursday nights at the Chelsea, they'd show old camp movies hosted by Hedda Lettuce who'd put on a running dialog for the entire movie -really hilarious.

As a film buff, I would not live anywhere else. We have such a wide variety of opportunities to see/experience film culture here that I don't think enough people appreciate. Venues like the Bloor (now reopened as a documentary-only theatre, one of the only ones of its kind in the world), the Toronto Underground Cinema for cult stuff, and Bell Lightbox for independent and more curated material we are extremely spoiled in this regard. The Film Festival, most people don't know, is one of the only festivals of its type on the planet that's open to the public. Think you can just walk into a screening at Cannes or Sundance? They're usually restricted to industry types only, so being able to see world premiere films months before the rest of the world, often with the cast and director present, is extremely unique. Even NYC doesn't have anything like this - I mean, there's Tribeca, but it's much much smaller and there's far fewer premieres there.

I mean, this is only one aspect but there are so many reasons to love this city. The people that complain about it, in my experience, are the ones that don't take advantage of or don't know about the incredible breadth of cultural happenings that occur in Toronto on a fairly regular basis.

I love the TIFF Bell Lightbox. I visited it for the first time last month. The place is amazing. I highly recommend that people take some time to go check it out. The Lightbox is just one the many amazing things in Toronto that nobody knows about.

And barely even that anymore! Guess what city is typically used for a cheaper stand-in for New York in films these days? You guessed it, Toronto!

The film industry is exactly the type of business Toronto is and should be attracting. It's sustainable and a great boon to both tourism and revenue.

How do you see Toronto performing in the film industry in the next few years? I know that countless movies have been shot here. But the problem with that is that we just send all the work to California where Hollywood bigshots spend the next year and a half working on the film. I would like to see more movies that were made either exclusively in Canada or Toronto. And by saying "made" I'm also talking about the post-production editing and not just the filming. Perhaps we could even see more movie premiers in Toronto as well

I'd rather Toronto be used as a stand in for Toronto, than New York. You can always tell when it's not NYC, because in reality the cities look nothing like each other -unless your film is set in Queens, then maybe....

I don't think you can be a stand in for yourself :)

I'd rather Toronto be used as a stand in for Toronto, than New York. You can always tell when it's not NYC, because in reality the cities look nothing like each other -unless your film is set in Queens, then maybe...

For rep cinema, New York has some good options. Like the IFC theater and the Chelsea Clearview. We used to go to Thursday nights at the Chelsea, they'd show old camp movies hosted by Hedda Lettuce who'd put on a running dialog for the entire movie -really hilarious.

Toronto's been featured a little more lately in movies like Scott Pilgrim and Chloe, but I agree I'd like to see Toronto represented better in cinema. Torontoist actually chronicles Toronto's appearances in film (both as a stand-in and not).

I don't mean to disparage NYC's film culture by any means and they have many beautiful rep cinemas and film experiences. I'm just saying they don't have an analog to TIFF and it's one of the things that Toronto has over any other city on earth.

How do you see Toronto performing in the film industry in the next few years? I know that countless movies have been shot here. But the problem with that is that we just send all the work to California where Hollywood bigshots spend the next year and a half working on the film. I would like to see more movies that were made either exclusively in Canada or Toronto. And by saying "made" I'm also talking about the post-production editing and not just the filming. Perhaps we could even see more movie premiers in Toronto as well

Toronto's still going strong and is well-liked among the industry as both a source of talent, as a shooting location, and we're developing more post-production facilities as well.

TIFF and some of the other festivals like After Dark provide the lions share of film premieres here, but with Lightbox as a permanent facility I'd love to see more. We also have a huge Bollywood fanbase here (one of the largest outside of India, I believe) which doesn't get a lot of attention outside of those groups. We hosted their awards this year.

See the thing is other than the beer movement (Toronto has it corned there.) These other cities have all those things. kkgg is harsh, but i feel it is out of love and not scorn. There are things we could do much better. Personally, I think Toronto sits back way too much, we need to be a go getter. I think business taxes are too high, but that's just me.

Which other cities? New York? London? Absolutely.

But Paris, for example, has absolutely horrible non-french food in general. Terrible.

If you are judging Paris, you must immerse yourself in French food before you can judge its culinary scene (which is fantastic).

In Toronto, likewise, you need to immerse yourself in the local culture to appreciate the great food on offer. I sincerely doubt kkgg7 and others have done this.

Again, BarVolo is arguably better than any NY equivalent, but even if you want to claim it isn't superior to Blind Tiger, you'd have to admit they are on par. Someone that doesn't know what I'm talking about isn't experiencing the best of Toronto.

The 'arepas' at Arepa Café are probably the best ones you can find outside of Venezuela (I lived in Caracas, I know what I'm talking about). The sandwiches at Café Bernaté, the mind-blowingly cheap and delicious cheese empanadas at Jumbo Empanada, the best fresh alfajores I've had outside of S. America at El Almacén (where you can have awesome Mate). The 3 funghi pizza at Queen Margherita Pizza is almost the best one I've ever had (best one is made by this lovely old couple from Lazio I know, though it's a roman-type pizza which is different). Chocosol make incredible chocolate and sell toasted cocoa beans that can be eaten by themselves and are by all means heavenly.

All of the above are CHEAP easily available treats made by people who love making them (I've talked to the owners/family of all these places as I'm a regular).

A city's greatness is a subjective thing. If you have the sensitivity and open mind to appreciate the places I've listed above, chances are you love Toronto dearly, and hold it up there with the best.

I can tell you that, for example, that having lived in Miami there's no comparison in terms of the quality of retail. Miami's is more refined and corporate, but it ultimately lacks substance and passion.

Which other cities? New York? London? Absolutely.

But Paris, for example, has absolutely horrible non-french food in general. Terrible.

If you are judging Paris, you must immerse yourself in French food before you can judge its culinary scene (which is fantastic).

In Toronto, likewise, you need to immerse yourself in the local culture to appreciate the great food on offer. I sincerely doubt kkgg7 and others have done this.

Again, BarVolo is arguably better than any NY equivalent, but even if you want to claim it isn't superior to Blind Tiger, you'd have to admit they are on par. Someone that doesn't know what I'm talking about isn't experiencing the best of Toronto.

The 'arepas' at Arepa Café are probably the best ones you can find outside of Venezuela (I lived in Caracas, I know what I'm talking about). The sandwiches at Café Bernaté, the mind-blowingly cheap and delicious cheese empanadas at Jumbo Empanada, the best fresh alfajores I've had outside of S. America at El Almacén (where you can have awesome Mate). The 3 funghi pizza at Queen Margherita Pizza is almost the best one I've ever had (best one is made by this lovely old couple from Lazio I know, though it's a roman-type pizza which is different). Chocosol make incredible chocolate and sell toasted cocoa beans that can be eaten by themselves and are by all means heavenly.

All of the above are CHEAP easily available treats made by people who love making them (I've talked to the owners/family of all these places as I'm a regular).

A city's greatness is a subjective thing. If you have the sensitivity and open mind to appreciate the places I've listed above, chances are you love Toronto dearly, and hold it up there with the best.

I can tell you that, for example, that having lived in Miami there's no comparison in terms of the quality of retail. Miami's is more refined and corporate, but it ultimately lacks substance and passion.

Thank You for mentioning Paris. The McDonalds over there were subpar for food.(service was fine.) I have to agree about food and maybe even art. I'm a big club guy and I think Toronto lacks there. Toronto has a lot of positives but also some negatives. I guess the transit fiasco has soured me.

Thank You for mentioning Paris. The McDonalds over there were subpar for food.(service was fine.) I have to agree about food and maybe even art. I'm a big club guy and I think Toronto lacks there. Toronto has a lot of positives but also some negatives. I guess the transit fiasco has soured me.

McDonalds sucks all over Europe. I've been to Italy, Germany, France and the United Kingdom and McDonalds tasted horrible in all the countries.

Thank You for mentioning Paris. The McDonalds over there were subpar for food.

Subpar to what....the Michelin Star versions we have here?

If your idea of food is McDonalds, then you really aren't qualified to debate food quality. And anybody who travels to Paris, and eats at McDonalds is just, well, a special kind of person.

I guess the transit fiasco has soured me.

It shouldn't. It has renewed my confidence in this city, which hit an incredibly low point when we did something as unconscionable as put the city in the hands of Ford & CO. It may be messy, but it shows the signs of sanity returning. (and it's kinda entertaining)

And anybody who travels to Paris, and eats at McDonalds is just, well, a special kind of person.

Unless it's (a) to "try it out" out of curiosity, or (b) as a parent of kids who insist upon McDonald's "this once", or whatever...

I thought it was to see if a Quarter Pounder with cheese is really called a Royale with cheese?

to "try it out" out of curiosity

Right up there with stepping in Parisian dog poo to see if it is as annoying as stepping in NA dog poo.

as a parent of kids who insist upon McDonald's "this once", or whatever..

Thanks for giving me another excuse to add to my long list of reasons not to pro-create.

Subpar to what....the Michelin Star versions we have here?

If your idea of food is McDonalds, then you really aren't qualified to debate food quality. And anybody who travels to Paris, and eats at McDonalds is just, well, a special kind of person.

I was at the airport.

It shouldn't. It has renewed my confidence in this city, which hit an incredibly low point when we did something as unconscionable as put the city in the hands of Ford & CO. It may be messy, but it shows the signs of sanity returning. (and it's kinda entertaining)
IMO it is a circus. Ford and the people that voted him in based on emotion. I still have the feeling that nothing will get built. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
If your idea of food is McDonalds, then you really aren't qualified to debate food quality. And anybody who travels to Paris, and eats at McDonalds is just, well, a special kind of person.)

The one and only reason I ate McDonalds in France is because we were stuck in the airport for 8 hours and the only thing available to eat was McDonalds. It was purely out of desperation.

Back