News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What are the riderships on those routes though? Are any at the 40-50,000 riders per day we see on on many of the streetcar routes?

Ridership is a moot point in a trolley bus CBA. A trolley bus doesn't really offer any ridership improvements over a diesel bus because it's still a bus.

Why do a minority of people who are in cars, have the right to inconvenience the majority who are in streetcars?

But more to the point ... why would you if you were driving more than a block or two ... Richmond and Adelaide are invariably faster - as they are one-way, with 4 lanes at intersections, so there are 2 through lanes that are not impeded by turning vehicles. East of Broadview, Dundas is typically faster.

Most people that live in Toronto (the entire city, not just downtown) drive. A minority rely on public transit. How are all the business men that run Bay St. supposed to get to work Nfitz? Most people that work downtown probably live in the suburbs as well. Probably 9 out 10 street car riders are downtown residents. I was driving on Queen because I parked across from the hospital.

Last edited:
Most people that live in Toronto (the entire city, not just downtown) drive. A minority rely on public transit. How are all the business men that run Bay St. supposed to get to work Nfitz? Most people that work downtown probably live in the suburbs as well. Probably 9 out 10 street car riders are downtown residents. I was driving on Queen because I parked across from the hospital.

I live in the old City of York. I use the bus, Subway, and streetcar to get downtown, go to the dentist, and to the hospital. I guess that makes the old City of York (AKA the Township of York) part of downtown. BTW, I do have a car, but use it only for carrying heavy merchandise, or to get into Mississauga.

Me too. I drive when I'm going out of the city or am doing a big grocery shop, otherwise I walk, bike or take transit. Much easier than driving -- no parking hassles either. I also know a number of people who live in the city and don't own a car.

Most people that live in Toronto (the entire city, not just downtown) drive. A minority rely on public transit.
A majority that work downtown, do use transit.

How are all the business men that run Bay St. supposed to get to work
Wow! What an unexpected sexist comment! Men? What about women?

As for Bay Street. They could take Subway, bus, streetcar, train. And if they really are dumb enough to drive ... they could use Richmond or Adelaide. Remember, my question was "why would you if you were driving more than a block or two ... Richmond and Adelaide are invariably faster - as they are one-way, with 4 lanes at intersections, so there are 2 through lanes that are not impeded by turning vehicles. ". This is the real issue here. Why would one even be driving on Queen for more than a block or two?

Most people that work downtown probably live in the suburbs as well. Probably 9 out 10 street car riders are downtown residents. I was driving on Queen because I parked across from the hospital.
I assume heading to the DVP. Then why not simply turn right and go down to Adelaide and take it direct to the DVP. This is what people who live in the area do ... even if there isn't a streetcar in sight, it's faster, with more lanes, timed lights, and no need to cross traffic to enter the DVP.

Yes, there are occasions to drive downtown ... I find I have to drive when hauling large objects. Or if I have to leave the office part way through the day to head to a meeting in 905 or further. Or even hospital visits (though parking is very expensive ... but I can see that it might make sense for some).

Still ... I can't imagine someone complaining just because they got held up a couple of minutes because the streetcar trolley pole came off. If most of the people on Queen were driving, instead of in the streetcar, the street would be gridlocked, and even slow. Isn't it enough they are working on getting rid of these trolley poles?

Wow! What an unexpected sexist comment! Men? What about women?

As for Bay Street. They could take Subway, bus, streetcar, train.

If Ken Thomson could, and frequently did, take the subway then anybody can. He actually took it as a time saving exorcise though I wonder if during the heavy crowding in the late 80's if he considered building his own line from Eglinton to the office.

I live in the old City of York. I use the bus, Subway, and streetcar to get downtown, go to the dentist, and to the hospital. I guess that makes the old City of York (AKA the Township of York) part of downtown. BTW, I do have a car, but use it only for carrying heavy merchandise, or to get into Mississauga.

Of all people, You Have a Car? :confused::eek::eek:

I thought that was impossible! Hell must have just frozen over! Wow

I come from Woodbridge and I've all but stopped commuting downtown with my car. Aside from the day of my surgery; I've been at St. Mike's about 7 times this year; I parked at Wilson and took the subway; then I decide to stay downtown (purchased a Day Pass) and get around by transit.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to Clinton's -- going to take the subway to Christie and walk.

To be honest, if you live and work downtown, public transit is the way to go.

Watch as Cincinnati's Mayor Mark Mallory, City Manager Milton Dohoney, Jr., Metro CEO Terry Garcia Crews, and small business owner Kalika Crawford discuss the importance of the Streetcar and unwrap the first sign at the station at 8th & Main Streets.13 minute video:

[video=vimeo;27778977]http://vimeo.com/27778977[/video]

Other cities in North America are building streetcar routes as well.

This is always the argument by LRT haters. You cant use smaller cities then TOronto to show PRO LRT results. You must show the same size or bigger. BEcause of course it makes sense to compare our TTC network to a place like tokyo, NYC, or Shanghi. Figure it out you damn COmmie!!! WE WANT SUBWAYS!!! Actually I want a FERRARI!!!!!!!!

This is always the argument by LRT haters. You cant use smaller cities then TOronto to show PRO LRT results. You must show the same size or bigger. BEcause of course it makes sense to compare our TTC network to a place like tokyo, NYC, or Shanghi. Figure it out you damn COmmie!!! WE WANT SUBWAYS!!! Actually I want a FERRARI!!!!!!!!

Would an LRT vehicle made by ferrari suffice?

Back