News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Would an LRT vehicle made by ferrari suffice?
Ferrari is part of Fiat. Here's a Fiat streetcar:
MadridCAF1969.jpg

This is always the argument by LRT haters. You cant use smaller cities then TOronto to show PRO LRT results. You must show the same size or bigger. BEcause of course it makes sense to compare our TTC network to a place like tokyo, NYC, or Shanghi. Figure it out you damn COmmie!!! WE WANT SUBWAYS!!! Actually I want a FERRARI!!!!!!!!

Okay, how about Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Manchester, Newark, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco? All have urban areas comparable to Toronto and all use surface light rail in some capacity. Manchester and San Francisco are notable because theirs run on the surface (and I'm not talking about cable cars).

DOnt need to convince me. Im PRO LRT... I just think the TC plan should have included a DRL. That being said I like the new Eglinton LRT SRT alignment. Convert Sheppard to LRT already, with a underground portion west to bathurst and East to Victoria Park!!!! And if Eglinton is going to have a more spread out LRT system (which I am ok with) maybe they should put a more local LRT on Lawrence. And do some streetcar research for Dufferin. I cant believe after all the development that will take place at eglinton and dufferin, at lawrence and dufferin that the route couldnt support a Streetcar!!!!! CAN YOu ALSO get Metrolinx to PROMISE to put a GO station stop at every EGLINTON crossing while at (brampton line, the Barrie Line, the richmond hill line, and fix the connection at kennedy PLEASE)

And do some streetcar research for Dufferin. I cant believe after all the development that will take place at eglinton and dufferin, at lawrence and dufferin that the route couldnt support a Streetcar!!!!!

It certainly can; the problem is street width. Between King and Eglinton, Dufferin is 4 lanes wide with no room for widening. The streetcar would have to be tunneled (that would be great, but cost a lot of money), or run in mixed traffic (in which case it's not faster than the bus, and likely less reliable).

Back