News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

bull, guarantee in 2013, the DRL will be in Metrolinx's Big Move 2.0 as a priority project.

I dont believe it will be on 2013 plans. It seems the TTC is overly optimistic that the new trains which can handle an additional 10% of riders will be sufficient enough to delay any DRL. That being said a 2020 Olympics might justify a DRLs finances to the TTC... Otherwise there is no evidence that to the TTC this is a priority. Instead Eglinton and SHEPPARD are a priority. I still remember that italian Counciller at the famous library meeting at 2AM justifying scarborough should be getting a Subway before downtown because downtown already has one.. He made it sound like he was the only part of the city which didnt have subway access.

Yesterday, I was riding the 504 streetcar down Roncesvalles Avenue. At a streetcar stop, as people were getting on the streetcar, an impatient motorist passed the streetcar on the LEFT side of the streetcar. In other words, he was driving on the WRONG side of Roncesvalles to pass the streetcar. Not an emergency vehicle, not a taxi, not an undercover automobile, but a private car. I think the driver was by himself/herself, no passenger, no expectant woman visible on the way to St. Joe's. I guess the rules do not apply to that driver.

It seems the TTC is overly optimistic that the new trains which can handle an additional 10% of riders will be sufficient enough to delay any DRL.
Well, they have to hit-up Metrolinx for funding for the new 10-trains + storage + platforms improvements from Bloor to King + the rest of the signalling system + the 7th car still before they finally admit they need something more.

It's not necessarily about them knowing what's possible and not possible; it's about maximizing provincial funding for capital expansion. They've got Ontario right where they want them ... with them finally saying, okay twist my rubber-arm - build us a DRL.

By the way hawc, I think that King street has diamond lanes so technically if your picture was taken during rush hour a commuter vehicle would not be allowed to use that streetcar lane anyways.

I live and work and drive downtown. I have no problems with streetcars. Infact, I hate buses more because of how they merge in and out. At least streetcars are predictable. As a cyclist I'm torn. On the one hand I hate streetcar tracks. On the other hand I find the said merging in and out buses far more dangerous to navigate around.

Ummm, there were 4 posts of the Ottawa Transpo bus queues. Or were you being sarcastic? If fact, only LordWanker's photo of Taiwan was a non-Ottawa example of bus congestion.

I was referring to the picture of the swarm of articulated buses on the transitway fish tailed and blocking traffic in a couple inches of snow.

Perfect image for those that think articulated buses are the antidote for the problem highlighted by the OP.

Ottawa is just an ridiculous comparison considering the amount of routes, buses and riders in that corridor is far, far greater than any one of TTC streetcar corridors. The Ottawa Transitway carries more riders per weekday than the Queen, King, College, Dundas streetcars combined.

I wonder if there will be a 501A when the Vaughan Centre station opens, or just more service on the regular 501. Since we have four years or so to figure that out, it's not a big deal. Yes, Brampton Transit has Zum artics on order for 2012, they are planned to enter service on Steeles, IIRC.

Yesterday, I was riding the 504 streetcar down Roncesvalles Avenue. At a streetcar stop, as people were getting on the streetcar, an impatient motorist passed the streetcar on the LEFT side of the streetcar.

I guess he grew tired of being stuck behind the rolling roadblock. No different then passing a garbage truck I suppose. Except garbage trucks smell better. ;)

People are asking for it, but no one is posting it!

artictroubles1pf.jpg

Also, it was not "a little snow" that caused this;
it was "a lot of slush".

Ottawa is just an ridiculous comparison considering the amount of routes, buses and riders in that corridor is far, far greater than any one of TTC streetcar corridors. The Ottawa Transitway carries more riders per weekday than the Queen, King, College, Dundas streetcars combined.
Of course 20 Ottawa bus lines will carry more than 4 Toronto streetcar lines. Comparing part of one system to part the whole of another is ridiculous. If you take the 240k daily rides by the number of lines, that's 12k daily riders per Ottawa Transitway bus line, less than the 504 King. If you take the whole of both systems it's 240k on 20 bus lines (2008) vs 286k on 11 tram lines (2006)

Transitway Statistics from 2008
Number of Stations - 38
Park & Ride Spaces - 5,372
Bike & Ride locations - 31
Average weekday passenger volume - 240,000
Length of Transitway bus-only roadway - 34 km

I stand to be corrected, but there about 90 jackknife buses that day.

Artic are good when there is no snow or ice on the road. But once there is, quality of service fall off the scale.

Now if these buses were on a bus guide-way, they would say on the road.

If the US can build LRT lines for only 15,000 riders daily these day, then TTC should have 80% of its routes LRT. By doing that, it would have a lower operation cost per km than buses do.

Of course 20 Ottawa bus lines will carry more than 4 Toronto streetcar lines. Comparing part of one system to part the whole of another is ridiculous. If you take the 240k daily rides by the number of lines, that's 12k daily riders per Ottawa Transitway bus line, less than the 504 King. If you take the whole of both systems it's 240k on 20 bus lines (2008) vs 286k on 11 tram lines (2006)

Transitway Statistics from 2008
Number of Stations - 38
Park & Ride Spaces - 5,372
Bike & Ride locations - 31
Average weekday passenger volume - 240,000
Length of Transitway bus-only roadway - 34 km

The point is that the Transitway routes overlap. They share the same corridor. Comparing the bunching of 20 overlapping routes in a single corridor to the bunching of a single route in a single corridor is ridiculous.

Back