News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Will Michael Ignatieff defeat the government over the budget?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a quick poll. Hopefully you all get to it in time.

Will Michael Ignatieff and the Liberals announce today that they're defeating the government and will he resume the coalition with the NDP?

Groan

Ignatieff will SUPPORT the Harper budget today. You shall see. Iggy's not going to defeat the gov't. He's going to obliterate the coalition and support the Harperites in one foul swoop. Harper & Iggy liberals = one and the same thing. Iggy is too keen on being the PM with a majority that he will continue to prop up this farce of a conservative gov't until he thinks her can achieve that goal.

The Libs will continue, like Dion before, to prop up the Harper Cons because they have no choice. An election could destroy them financially.

What will be interesting is if Harper sticks this time to the fixed election date legislation and calls an elections in the fall.

I think it would be in his interest to defeat the government because the coalition is still in place and he will instantly become PM for 2 years.

On one hand that's great because he will have a chance to prove himself with 2 years as PM before getting into another election.

On the other hand he will have to prove himself in very tough times and might not get to do anything that he wants while he tries to save the Canadian economy.

I'm looking forward to the announcement today.

I guess that Iggy can defeat them on a confidence motion at some point this year if he doesn't like how the Conservatives are managing the crisis.

What irks me is how Harper flipped the finger at the responsibility of handling in the crisis. He shut down the government when we needed it most, all in the name of holding on to power. I don't think he could withstand another election. People want an end to elections and are realizing that Harper can't govern. The Liberals could possibly win a minority and be propped up by the other 2 leftist parties.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/01/28/ignatieff-decision.html

Though it's very painful, as Canadians clearly don't want the cons in power at the moment even with a tenuous mintority, Iggy continues his unabashed support of the people who dismantled Ontario, ie. the Mike Harris finance advisors, ie. the Harper conservatives.

lol, and how do you know what Canadians want? Most of the polls I've seen the last two months have shown Canadians clearly don't want that farce of a coalition.

Iggy is doing what is best for the Liberal party by supporting the budget, plain and simple.

badass

ignatieff364.jpg

Liberals wants amendment

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff wants Parliament to receive frequent economic updates as the price of his support for the Jan. 27, 2009 budget.

Jan 28, 2009 11:33 AM

bruce campion-smith
Ottawa bureau chief

OTTAWA - Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff wants the Conservatives to provide periodic economic status reports to Parliament.

Ignatieff made the demand this morning as a condition for his party's support of the budget - and the minority government.

"We are putting this government on probation," Ignatieff said. "This budget does not include one word about accountability."

The Liberals are demanding reports on the budget's implementation and its cost, starting in March with others in June and December.

"We will vigilantly monitor its effect on our economy," he said.

"We will be watching like hawks to make sure the investments Canadians need actually reach them," he said.

Each of those reports will present an opportunity for the Liberals to withdraw their support, he said.

The NDP and the Bloc Quebecois have already declared their opposition to the budget, meaning that Liberal is critical in order for the Conservative government to survive.

While Tuesday's budget proposed billions of dollars in economic stimulus, there have been concerns raised about fast the money will be spent.

Earlier this morning, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said the basics of the budget will not be changed.

Speaking today from a Tim Horton's in his riding in Whitby, Ont., Flaherty said his spending plan reflects what Canadians want and need now.

Asked if there was wiggle room to address Liberal concerns, Flaherty said he would look at whatever the Liberals might propose, but added that the budget "fundamentals will not change."

- Files from Canadian Press

I'll go on record as a big supporter of bringing Harper down. Don't let wounded prey get away. The bit about Liberal bankruptcy is a bit of a myth. The party actually has a smaller debt than after virtually any other election campaign. I also think Iggy will have a much easier time of fundraising than Dion did.

I guess that Iggy can defeat them on a confidence motion at some point this year if he doesn't like how the Conservatives are managing the crisis.

What irks me is how Harper flipped the finger at the responsibility of handling in the crisis. He shut down the government when we needed it most, all in the name of holding on to power. I don't think he could withstand another election. People want an end to elections and are realizing that Harper can't govern. The Liberals could possibly win a minority and be propped up by the other 2 leftist parties.

Oh hell yes. Those ads on the radio really tick me off. The Tories are playing it as if they had nothing to do with the whole crisis of confidence to start with, and now that they have this Wondrous Budget 2.0 it behooves us all to fall in line and STFU because we're in a crisis? Do they take us for idiots? If the budget is good, then fine -- we will find that out in due course and implement it because it is good, not because you Said So.

Back