News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Denmark, Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Ireland have installed offshore turbines, and Germany has approved nearly two dozen projects expected to go online soon. Denmark's largest wind farm has 80 turbines roughly 120 feet high, planted 8 to 12 miles off the coast.

You forgot to bold that part, you didn't understand the rest of it either.

It's already been done in countries with higher safety standards then we have here.

They are probably referring to Quebec's membership in the IJC.

Yes, instead of speculating while admitting that "My electromagnetics is getting rusty".

This has been a painful read.

Current flowing to ground is a fault condition, and, due to the presence of circuit breakers, doesn't usually last for a long time.
And you obviously either didn't read the whole thing, or didn't understand what I wrote, because you certainly didn't get my main point, that offshore wind turbines are not likely to cause any significant problems due to electrical leakage (or else you would not have jumped on it in such a knee-jerk defensive). And you also don't seem to understand the meaning of "speculation" in relations to scientific matter, or else you would not have characterized what I said as such. And my admittance of rustiness, well, it was more a matter of politeness.

Ground, as a general physical concept and not the applied term used by electricians or electrical engineers, applies to all circuits whether or not they have circuit breakers. I pointed out that the turbines themselves are grounded, so that any electrical leakage would travel through these metal rods directly to the seafloor rather than going out to the higher resistance water. You pointed out that the circuitry would likely have circuit breakers that will jump in case of a short or leakage, so, great, there's no contradiction, it just means the turbine structure will conduct the current for as long as before the breaker jumps. (BTW, whether the circuit breaker jumps would not matter much if it doesn't jump in time before the electric leakage already causes biological damage, were it to occur, which it's not likely to in this case).

And if you found reading what I wrote to be painful, well, then I guess you should read more.

And you obviously either didn't read the whole thing, or didn't understand what I wrote, because you certainly didn't get my main point,

I read it, understood it, and got your main point...that your electromagnetic theory is rusty.

Ground, as a general physical concept and not the applied term used by electricians or electrical engineers, applies to all circuits whether or not they have circuit breakers.

I am an EE, what are you talking about?

I pointed out that the turbines themselves are grounded,

ALL generators are grounded at some point...it's because we use ground as a reference, unlike Europe.

Any "leakage" would be a fault condition.

Circuit breakers jump? this is why you should start with wiki, learn a little more before attempting to post as an expert.

And if you found reading what I wrote to be painful, well, then I guess you should read more.

I did...it wasn't good.

I read it, understood it, and got your main point...that your electromagnetic theory is rusty.

I am an EE, what are you talking about?

ALL generators are grounded at some point...it's because we use ground as a reference, unlike Europe.

Any "leakage" would be a fault condition.

Circuit breakers jump? this is why you should start with wiki, learn a little more before attempting to post as an expert.

I did...it wasn't good.
I certainly haven't seen any "experts" in this thread giving a half-decent contribution other than flaunting their credentials and throwing snide jabs.

I always wonder this about government projects.......how long will this take. Would private construction companies be given the contracts? and then there's the matter of getting them hooked up to the grid.........

All, or almost all of the current wind developments are privately developed and held. They are financed through a long-term feed-in tariff offered by the province.

Of course that makes sense........it just seems that anything like this will take a while, there's the Bluffs residents, who look like they're going to put up quite a fight and not to mention the approval process and environmental assessments.........

Most of the time the wind around
the golden horseshoe area is not
fast enough to push a golf ball.
Newfoundland now there is the
place for wind.

Joe, the Great Lakes have absolutely massive potential for wind power. Few places in the world match it, even.

I think the Great Lakes have pretty much a constant wind, that is not necessarily strong.
Newfoundland definitely is always windy as well haha. So is Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.

Joe, the Great Lakes have absolutely massive potential for wind power. Few places in the world match it, even.

I will take your word for it Afransen.
My outdoor activities over the years is
golf and shooting, the wind for the
most part in the golden horseshoe area
is not a factor. I wasn't doing those
activities very close to the lake. I will
never know now because I quit both.

Back