News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

We are quick to forget that it used to bring ~7000 people to the area at its peak and many of those were families.

I wonder if additional programming at the Leg's tree could be done?

I suspect ICE District will pick up on this and make that area more of a destination for the holiday season (as originally planned).

Curious how NYE will be split between Churchill and ICE.

Are the 'Winter Lights' up around the Downtown? You know, those white and blue lights on all of the poles yet? They usually go up late Oct and come down early March.

Reactions: God
^The City should be activating the square. They have the resources, it is a civic space. My understanding from everyone involved it was a lot of work (as you know) with very little support. I'd love to see a tree there, great civic pride, but also happy to see other places where there are actual businesses are. Last year was moderately well attended events in the square but it always felt empty. It's great space for large festival etc, not for smaller events.

For purposes of clarity:

-Millar Western proudly donated the tree (for decades)
-EPCOR provided considerable donations in-kind - staff, time, equipment
-The City of Edmonton provided support from infrastructure to promotion to staff ensuring everything happened smoothly
-EPS provided assistance getting the oversized truck into the core from the NW

It was a beautification piece, a celebration piece, a seasonal attraction to encourage more people to come Downtown for weeks with the hopes that they would shop, eat, drink and be merry.

Light Up was different in 1986
While this year’s iteration doesn’t include a tree, it wasn’t always part of the festival.

Light Up has been running in Edmonton since 1986 and involved a big tree in Churchill Square since at least 1999. Postmedia archives show the early festival centered around turning on the Christmas lights Downtown — usually by Santa Clause, and later on the mayor — followed by fireworks.

In 1993, a “fire-eating” dragon named “Desmond” did the honour and the fireworks were set to Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. About 12,000 people attended the event in 1989 which was initially dubbed “Christmas Lights Downtown.”

The EDBA also held an indoor Santa Claus parade through Downtown malls and the pedway system in the mid to late 1990s.

lboothby@postmedia.com

Well what's new bout this city, take something people like and change it. This city obviously hasn't heard the old saying, "I'd it ain't broke don't fix it."

Reminds me of the New Years eve midnight fireworks moved to 9pm to accommodate families who didn't want to stay out til midnight, like most of people on this planet.

I will miss a tree, but not having one big tree also will not ruin Christmas, especially if there are going to be new Christmas light installations around Rice Howard Way anyways. It's not like the big tree in Churchill Square drew crowds every night throughout December, other than maybe the initial set-up and lighting.

'For the first time on Friday, the city also confirmed to CTV News Edmonton it did explore the feasibility of continuing the traditional programming in Churchill Square – including a big tree – but found it would be expensive and harmful to the environment.

"The cost estimate, if the City were to install a tree and provide public programming in 2022 is approximately $124,000," spokesperson Karen McDonnell wrote in a statement. "The City factored in the cost and the environmental implications of cutting down and transporting a mature natural forest tree and decided to explore other opportunities'

Ha.

What a load of crap.

Cost-wise it would be ~40k, not 124 and if they are SO concerned about cutting down one tree, perhaps their other impacts/policy decisions/lack of commitment in the proposed budget etc. etc. should be considered first.

Trying to frame the environmental impact of cutting down a singular tree as the other primary reason for not setting up a Christmas tree in our main public square is just… lmao

FhyWGLxaAAAzN_7

People are just looking for things to complain about these days. Sheesh. This is not a big deal and it makes sense for DBA to centre its investment closer to the businesses it serves.

Back