News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's funny that Morningside mall, which seems to have been in much better shape (structure, upkeep, etc) got torn down but yet Woodbine centre is still standing.

Morningside Mall was in better shape structurally but the interior décor had not been updated since 1980.

Much like Woodbine, the owner of the mall brought in a bunch of low-rate discount and ethnic stores (carpets, dollar stores and indian clothing stores) which led to a decline.

I went to Morningside Mall in its heyday and it had stores that were relevant to the community. Once they closed the Wal-Mart, Dominion and moved out the Library the mall went downhill fast.

Morningside Mall closed down just before I moved to Scarborough from the West end.

While I never set foot in the mall itself, I've read that Morningside Mall started out strong in the 1970s. Yet, quickly fell from grace after name
brand stores like Walmart, BiWays and Blockbuster left. Only to be replaced by no name shops.

Sounds a lot like the Woodbine Centre ...or better yet ...the former Rexdale Mall.

The one thing that Woodbine still has going for it is the Fantasy Fair. I dropped in last Thursday afternoon, and the fair was absolutely packed.
The only moneymaker left in the mall. I can see why the owner wants to convert the mall into a waterpark now.

Across the street from Woodbine:

1679318331971.png

Does this spell the end for the Woodbine Centre?

I went to the bay recently at woodbine and I am confused. The store is organized, there new displays, new change rooms, and new flooring in some sections. It's clear some money is being invested into the store but why when the mall is so bad and the owner sucks. I would have thought the BAY would be looking to close

I went to the bay recently at woodbine and I am confused. The store is organized, there new displays, new change rooms, and new flooring in some sections. It's clear some money is being invested into the store but why when the mall is so bad and the owner sucks. I would have thought the BAY would be looking to close
A friend and I visited Hudson's Bay about two weeks ago and asked ourselves the same question. Sunday afternoon and next to no shoppers to be found.
Perhaps Hudson is banking on Woodbine Racetrack's soon-to-open 'vegas-style' resort in hopes of bringing in customers. Otherwise, it seems like Hudson
is just hemmoraghing money at this point.

The mall looks ready to fold any minute. I've never seen more closed down stores than right now.
Something's gotta be up.
The owner is a slumlord.
I don't doubt that maybe he'll sell some of the land (ie the Bay & a few other stores) to an out door mall developer and leave the rest to be torn down and converted into a water park.
(with some creative skating rink or some excuse for year round use...) Maybe even throw in a condo or two while he's at it...

Guys, I think I figured out the Woodbine's business plan:

1) Acquire Woodbine for peanuts.
2) Add ugly floor and wall tiles to scare off tenants.
3) If pointer #2 doesn't work, raise rent of stores substantially.
4) Use vacated stores to sell your liquidated goodies.
5) Sell enough liquidated goodies to fund an indoor waterpark.
6) Re-open Maggianos.

Guys, I think I figured out the Woodbine's business plan:

1) Acquire Woodbine for peanuts.
2) Add ugly floor and wall tiles to scare off tenants.
3) If pointer #2 doesn't work, raise rent of stores substantially.
4) Use vacated stores to sell your liquidated goodies.
5) Sell enough liquidated goodies to fund an indoor waterpark.
6) Re-open Maggianos.
Re-open Maggianos...YEAH RIGHT

Back