News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The piping issue that affected Freedom Mobile on the first floor is now noticeable with shops on the upper level

Yesterday, I went to Fruugo and noticed a bucket next to the checkout. The water was brown - the same rust problem
Woodbine experienced several years ago when dealing with the pipes below the concourse elevator.

So, the next time you shop at the Woodbine, bring an umbrella.

A toy store opened up in the Fantasy Fair (next to where McDonald's used to be). The store is advertising a 50% off sale.
Unfortunately, the stuff offered is mostly junk. Most of which, seems to have been moved around from other liquidations
in the mall.

A toy store opened up in the Fantasy Fair (next to where McDonald's used to be). The store is advertising a 50% off sale.
Unfortunately, the stuff offered is mostly junk. Most of which, seems to have been moved around from other liquidations
in the mall.
Hi! Not laughing at your posting, I am laughing at the mall itself and the way they seem to be doing business. A dumping ground for all the junk nobody wants! 😆

As someone who has lived near Woodbine almost all my life; it’s quite depressing to see the current state of the mall. To have it decline into something akin to a clearance centre for garbage is quite upsetting.

I have so many good memories in that mall. Christmas shopping with the family. Seeing movies at the theatre. Countless meals at the food court. Playing Cruisin USA in the arcade. And when I was really young I loved the train in the fantasy fair!

I also feel for the many store owners who lost everything or had to sell everything off. Some of them where there for decades. To build up a business and to have the rug taken for under you must be very humiliating.

I hope whatever is next for the mall or the property is a positive change. I will be severely disappointed if it’s more of the same drab existence that currently plagued Woodbine!

I too grew up going to this once-great mall, mostly in the mid to late 1990s up until the early 2000s. I recall going to a childhood friend's birthday party at the McDonald's that used to be in there, family dinners at the Abacus buffet restaurant, and a couple of parties in my teenage years at the JJ Muggs. I do also recall once catching the filming of an episode of the Canadian-American buddy cop show "Due South" being filmed in the mall.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

I went there a couple weeks ago and the Shop-A-Lot (Formerly lower level of Zellers) Was closed due to a fire safety problem. I mean yeah it’s filled with boxes and boxes and the layout is like a maze! I don’t see them ever opening it up again and with how the malls going I give it a decade or less before the mall closes permanently.

IMG_0708.jpeg

A decade? A few years or less is more like it. As already mentioned, taxes on the property are owed. That might speed things up a bit for a closure.

A decade? A few years or less is more like it. As already mentioned, taxes on the property are owed. That might speed things up a bit for a closure.
That’s why I said “Or less”. It will probably last a decade more maximum. I’m pretty sure the last few name brand stores and mostly fantasy fair are keeping it alive.

Hinn also notes that “operating a mall with an amusement park is a very niche industry that not many people have experience managing.” He says that he has the requisite experience to manage the unique property because he has already been doing it for eight years, and that if new management is brought in as a result of the receivership, the mall is likely to suffer, and that the current buyers “see my continued involvement with Woodbine Mall as adding value to the property.”

In my opinion, I feel that over the last eight years of ownership, Chris Hinn has successfully demonstrated that he is unfit to be associated or involved with the
Woodbine Centre,in any capacity moving forward. A change of ownership is exactly what the property needs. Whether that ownership leads to the likely outcome
of condo development, or otherwise ...anything is better than the mall's current state.

The court should dismiss Mr. Hinn's appeal to find a suitable receiver immediately. I feel, the current owner is just trying to delay the inevitable.

Yes, and they have. ( I have it confirmed through 2 sources)
Was Amazon the unnamed mystery buyer he's been saying he had lined up, or did they give up some time ago and it's been someone else more recently?
At least we know now that it will be sold soon, and presumably we'll find out what the new owner has planned in the next few months.

Was Amazon the unnamed mystery buyer he's been saying he had lined up, or did they give up some time ago and it's been someone else more recently?
At least we know now that it will be sold soon, and presumably we'll find out what the new owner has planned in the next few months.

Don't know. I was never tied to the transaction here. Just made aware of it by others. I can ask around.

Outside of Amazon, Woodbine's Fantasy Fair also made headlines after being put up for auction. If I recall, it was the same auction house
responsible for selling off partitions of Imagine Cinema's movie equipment, along with furniture and kitchen equipment from the upper level
food court/Maggiano's.

Strangely, the auction for the amusement rides was pulled shortly thereafter, leaving many readers wondering if Woodbine Holdings received
an enticing offer from a potential buyer outside of auction.
Though, judging by the article, it seems like the current Woodbine owner doesn't want to sell the mall piecemeal. More so, a packaged deal for
a higher price tag. Calling the mall and amusementpark combo a 'niche market'.

Back