selections seem to always be rushed, no matter the builder. It's crazy how quickly they want you to make decisions. LOL

Hi All:

A few days ago, I went to do the selections with GGH and felt so rushed!! How can they expect us to decide in one hour when we have not seen any of the standards or upgrades before? I am now having second thoughts about some of the upgrades I chose and I am wondering if it is possible to ask them to delete some of the upgrades. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. I haven't paid them for one third of the upgrades yet.

Hi All:

A few days ago, I went to do the selections with GGH and felt so rushed!! How can they expect us to decide in one hour when we have not seen any of the standards or upgrades before? I am now having second thoughts about some of the upgrades I chose and I am wondering if it is possible to ask them to delete some of the upgrades. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. I haven't paid them for one third of the upgrades yet.

What upgrades did you make?
Chances are GGH, like most developers, won't let you rescind on the upgrades.

What upgrades did you make?
Chances are GGH, like most developers, won't let you rescind on the upgrades.

Thanks cdr108. Actually, the upgrades I selected are not extravagant and not unnecessary (for me). I am second guessing because 1) everything in the neutra costs more i.e. hardwood, etc. bc of the sq. footage and 2) i am thinking that by paying 10 k toward upgrades means 10 k more in my mortgage. I know in the overall scheme, 10 k really is not going to make much of a difference in terms of monthly mortgage payments. If I am going to live there for any length of time, why not and it is good for resale value.

These are the upgrades:
-hardwood in both room
-smooth ceilings
-upgrade both bathroom cabinets and granite countertop in main bath
-upgrade tub tiles to porcelain and upgrade tiles in main bath.
-home theater
-rough in for light fixtures (i really think they overcharged here, $565 for per electrical outlet; I told them I thought it was $235, but the decor staff said that is the price she has).
-under cabinet lights and integrated hood fan
-stainless steel package including slide in.

I was able to stay within my 10 k budget.
Although I think the Amana appliances are a cheap brand i could not imagine not having ss bc everything else in the kitchen will be so nice and cannot imagine getting rid of these appliances only to get new ones in the condo.
For me the electrical outlet in the bedroom ceilings was important as well as the home theater. Doing electrical work after the fact can be messy and difficult with concrete. Upgrading the main bath countertop to granite may have been a bit costly (i.e. $595) but atleast I won't have to do it myself when I move in. It just feels good knowing that when I move in, I will have everything I want and don't have to do anything extra myself.

Can you imagine that for the neutra, they quoted me almost 10 k for the window treatment. I looked around a bit and I think I can get a much cheaper price elsewhere.

Thanks cdr108. Actually, the upgrades I selected are not extravagant and not unnecessary (for me). I am second guessing because 1) everything in the neutra costs more i.e. hardwood, etc. bc of the sq. footage and 2) i am thinking that by paying 10 k toward upgrades means 10 k more in my mortgage. I know in the overall scheme, 10 k really is not going to make much of a difference in terms of monthly mortgage payments. If I am going to live there for any length of time, why not and it is good for resale value.

These are the upgrades:
-hardwood in both room
-smooth ceilings
-home theater
-rough in for light fixtures (i really think they overcharged here, $565 for per electrical outlet; I told them I thought it was $235, but the decor staff said that is the price she has).

I was able to stay within my 10 k budget.
Although I think the Amana appliances are a cheap brand i could not imagine not having ss bc everything else in the kitchen will be so nice and cannot imagine getting rid of these appliances only to get new ones in the condo.
For me the electrical outlet in the bedroom ceilings was important as well as the home theater. Doing electrical work after the fact can be messy and difficult with concrete. Upgrading the main bath countertop to granite may have been a bit costly (i.e. $595) but atleast I won't have to do it myself when I move in. It just feels good knowing that when I move in, I will have everything I want and don't have to do anything extra myself.

Can you imagine that for the neutra, they quoted me almost 10 k for the window treatment. I looked around a bit and I think I can get a much cheaper price elsewhere.

Hi Imti, -just wondering if they explained how that 'home theater' upgrade was going to work? I got it too, -but stupidly, didnt ask enough questions. Is it just a stronger foundation for a TV wall mount? Or is there some sort of way to hide wires?

Hi Imti, -just wondering if they explained how that 'home theater' upgrade was going to work? I got it too, -but stupidly, didnt ask enough questions. Is it just a stronger foundation for a TV wall mount? Or is there some sort of way to hide wires?

Hi:
I did ask and my understanding is that all the wiring will be hidden under the drywall. This way when we put up or LCD or plasma tv, no wiring will show, it will just look like a picture frame. It has nothing to do with a stronger foundation for a wall mount.
Other wires for dvd, stereo, etc. connecting to the tv will also be hidden behind the drywall.

Hi:
I did ask and my understanding is that all the wiring will be hidden under the drywall. This way when we put up or LCD or plasma tv, no wiring will show, it will just look like a picture frame. It has nothing to do with a stronger foundation for a wall mount.
Other wires for dvd, stereo, etc. connecting to the tv will also be hidden behind the drywall.

thanks for clarifying. All I remember was that they were going to hide the wires somehow, but I didnt get much more information on how.
As for the foundation, -I was told that they were going to put a stronger foundation in that area so that it would support a wall mounted tv (otherwise it would probably be just drywall).

thanks for clarifying. All I remember was that they were going to hide the wires somehow, but I didnt get much more information on how.
As for the foundation, -I was told that they were going to put a stronger foundation in that area so that it would support a wall mounted tv (otherwise it would probably be just drywall).

Thanks Kennyx, I did not know about the foundation for the wall mount. I also forgot to ask them some questions but it is no surprise given they only give us an hour to choose.

I finally caved in and purchased a unit. I'm super excited, but I'm wondering if I overpaid at $440 PPSF. That's after a discount, before parking/locker and the unit is on the 30th floor.

Not to worry Tissot.
You have bought into one of this city's "A" condos.. This one will be right up there with the likes of Casa and Spire for design recocognition in a few years. You also have the assurance of knowing that it's built by a builder with an excellent reputation.
As for the price you paid per sq. ft.?
Ignore the idiots and doom and gloomers. In a few years from now you will look like a genius. The cream always sits on top. It is the nature of things.;)

$440 a sq ft is a good deal

Tissot, one unit did you end up getting?

What was the price before the incentives?

Not to worry Tissot.
You have bought into one of this city's "A" condos.. This one will be right up there with the likes of Casa and Spire for design recocognition in a few years. You also have the assurance of knowing that it's built by a builder with an excellent reputation.
As for the price you paid per sq. ft.?
Ignore the idiots and doom and gloomers. In a few years from now you will look like a genius. The cream always sits on top. It is the nature of things.;)

I hope you're not being sarcastic because I'm getting even more excited. :eek:

$440 a sq ft is a good deal

Tissot, one unit did you end up getting?

What was the price before the incentives?

I ended up going with Eames. I had my eyes on this unit a few months ago, but at that time it was out of my price range. The price before incentives was $399,990.

The main reason why I'm questioning if I overpaid is because the pricing at 500 Sherbourne is so much lower.

I ended up going with Eames. I had my eyes on this unit a few months ago, but at that time it was out of my price range. The price before incentives was $399,990..

i thought i read in the latest condo guide that the Eames unit started at $320K?

These are the upgrades:
-hardwood in both room
-smooth ceilings
-home theater

For me the electrical outlet in the bedroom ceilings was important as well as the home theater. Doing electrical work after the fact can be messy and difficult with concrete. .

Not sure I understand...are electrical outlets on the ceilings for fans or lighting fixtures? Doesn't the standard come with light fixtures on ceilings and if needed you can replace the fixtures with the same wiring??

Not sure I understand...are electrical outlets on the ceilings for fans or lighting fixtures? Doesn't the standard come with light fixtures on ceilings and if needed you can replace the fixtures with the same wiring??

Electrical outlets on the ceiling for light fixtures; apparently, GGH is not including celing rough in for light fixtures as standard; it is an upgrade.

so if you didn't upgrade there's no lighting for the room unless you get a floor lamp? is this common with builders I thought ceiling lighting was basic? the quality of fixtures is another story I would understand an upgrade for that but some type of lighting should be standard?

Back