So I just shelled out $9 k for the euro appliances and now I'm having some 2nd thoughts. Does anyone see as a buyer on condos see value in these appliances??? I may start a new general thread but your feedback is appreciated.
You could have saved a chunk of money purchasing the appliances on your own after occupancy (and that's if you dump the standard appliances on the side of the road). BUT! It's all about how much you're willing to pay for the inconvenience of having to go to the store, pick out appliances and then having to figure out what to do with the old ones.

Well i priced out the cost of these appliances and its actually a pretty decent deal, it is not much more than what retailers are charging....

I guess my question is more towards if other potential buyers see value in this if they were thinking about a condo unit.......

If i opted for the standard appliances, I would definitely switch it after the fact

Did anyone upgrade the granite countertops? I took the standard, -but Im having second thoughts on not upgrading to quartz or a better looking granite.

Hey Kennyx

I actually chose a white quartz which was among the standard choices......there were a few higher end stones that I thought would be upgrades but turned out to be standard.

What did you think of the overall design consultation? I felt very rush and at the end of the appointment felt like I've just been beat up.....

I kinda felt a bit rushed too, -but because I already knew alot of the prices and had more or less already made up my mind on what I wanted, it wasnt too bad.

The white quartz was actually the stone I wanted, -but no matter how I priced it, I couldnt get my entire upgrades at my $10k budget.

One of the upgrades I ended up getting was the home theatre wiring. She mentioned that you'd be able to hide the wires (not sure how they do this), and that they also reinforce the wall so that you can hang/mount the TV about 5ft off the ground.

Another unplanned upgrade was the kitchen cabinets and undermount kitchen cabinet lights.

Also, what did you think of the standard flooring? Did you upgrade or leave as is? This (along with the countertop) was also something that Im thinking I should of upgraded.

I kinda felt a bit rushed too, -but because I already knew alot of the prices and had more or less already made up my mind on what I wanted, it wasnt too bad.

The white quartz was actually the stone I wanted, -but no matter how I priced it, I couldnt get my entire upgrades at my $10k budget.

One of the upgrades I ended up getting was the home theatre wiring. She mentioned that you'd be able to hide the wires (not sure how they do this), and that they also reinforce the wall so that you can hang/mount the TV about 5ft off the ground.

Another unplanned upgrade was the kitchen cabinets and undermount kitchen cabinet lights.

Also, what did you think of the standard flooring? Did you upgrade or leave as is? This (along with the countertop) was also something that Im thinking I should of upgraded.

Hmmmm, the white quartz was standard though, I didn't have to upgrade it....How much was that home theatre wiring?

I did get the undermount lighting

I chose the standard flooring, it was a brown hardwood,(tasmanian oak) and extended it to the bedroom and den.....I was pretty happy overall with the hardwood selection

I have a HUGE question for everyone that purchased....Did you noticed a price discrepency between the original price list and what was charged? I'm trying to argue the price down to honor their original indication.

Here's what I upgraded:
Glass insert above tub
smooth ceilings
the euro appliances
extension of island countertop by 12" to create a bar countertop
undermount lighting
hardwood in den and bedroom
glass backsplash in kitchen

Overall, I felt very rushed, although I was very happy with the standard choices, I was very disappointed in the appliances, the upgrade will be nice but costs and arm and a leg....

Kennyx, what payment options did they give you?

Hmmmm, the white quartz was standard though, I didn't have to upgrade it....How much was that home theatre wiring?

I did get the undermount lighting

I chose the standard flooring, it was a brown hardwood,(tasmanian oak) and extended it to the bedroom and den.....I was pretty happy overall with the hardwood selection

I have a HUGE question for everyone that purchased....Did you noticed a price discrepency between the original price list and what was charged? I'm trying to argue the price down to honor their original indication.

Here's what I upgraded:
Glass insert above tub
smooth ceilings
the euro appliances
extension of island countertop by 12" to create a bar countertop
undermount lighting
hardwood in den and bedroom
glass backsplash in kitchen

Overall, I felt very rushed, although I was very happy with the standard choices, I was very disappointed in the appliances, the upgrade will be nice but costs and arm and a leg....

Kennyx, what payment options did they give you?

The white quartz upgrade that I was talking about was the countertop in the 'upgraded' kitchen model (the one with the built in and integrated appliances) and the integrated dining table (in the island).
I ended up picking the grey granite.

I did the same thing as you with the hardwood (both selection and in the bed and den). And yes, the price for the hardwood in the bed and den were higher than I thought it would be (it went close to $1400).

As for payment options, I beleieve that I was given the options to either pay in full, pay in installments, or a third option that I cant remember (though I think it had something to do with adding it to the total condo purchase cost).

I ended up paying everything in full, and will probably increase my downpayment at occupancy (I want that phantom rent to be as little as possible).

And here's my upgrade list:

Stainless steel with upgraded *Slide-in range
kitchen cabinets (first upgrade)
undermount lights in cabinets
smooth ceilings
hardwood in bed and den
upgraded bathroom floor tiles (wasnt necessary, but it was cheap)
frosted glass wall between bed and den

Im a little confused on the slide-in though. Amana has already discontinued their own slide-in branded range, so Im not sure what Im going to get? Im guessing it's going to be a Whirlpool/Maytag/etc... branded range made by Amana?

As for your question on the European appliances, here's my take:
If you can budget it in, and are planning to live in your unit for the mid-long term... why not splurge? (I know I would have bought it if I could afford it).
But if you're just doing this for a quick flip, -I dont think you're going to make your money back. If I was going to buy a unit right now, here's how I would price the upgrade: you can probably get a really good cooktop for under $2k, and a good (wolf) built-in oven for under $3k. So is the built-in fridge really worth $4k? I just dont see how this setup should cost more than $5k-$6k.

Last edited:
Thanks Kennyx

I'm not sure what their going to be giving you, perhaps they have already set aside an allotment of appliances for this project so maybe you'll get it....the design consultant may be able to shed some light on it....(she wasn't much help in my opinion)

I guess my big thing with the appliances is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be living there (and thus able to enjoy it), I bought it originally with the intention on moving in but now that I'm not living inToronto anymore, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to live in it at least for one yr......I'm hopeful that I can come back and enjoy it but just not sure at this point....

And here's my upgrade list:

Stainless steel with upgraded *Slide-in range
kitchen cabinets (first upgrade)
undermount lights in cabinets
smooth ceilings
hardwood in bed and den
upgraded bathroom floor tiles (wasnt necessary, but it was cheap)
frosted glass wall between bed and den

Im a little confused on the slide-in though. Amana has already discontinued their own slide-in branded range, so Im not sure what Im going to get? Im guessing it's going to be a Whirlpool/Maytag/etc... branded range made by Amana?

As for your question on the European appliances, here's my take:
If you can budget it in, and are planning to live in your unit for the mid-long term... why not splurge? (I know I would have bought it if I could afford it).
But if you're just doing this for a quick flip, -I dont think you're going to make your money back. If I was going to buy a unit right now, here's how I would price the upgrade: you can probably get a really good cooktop for under $2k, and a good (wolf) built-in oven for under $3k. So is the built-in fridge really worth $4k? I just dont see how this setup should cost more than $5k-$6k.

I guess the other items in that package included these items that may be more unnoticable by the eye
a front load maytag washer/dryer
panasonic microwave
integrated hood fan into the cabinet
integrated dishwasher with the wood panel

Also I priced out the fridge and it cost $4.5 K U.S.

I think the costs itself for the package is actually pretty reasonable...but obviously expensive which is why I'm having 2nd thoughts.

selections seem to always be rushed, no matter the builder. It's crazy how quickly they want you to make decisions. LOL

Unless your suite has a huge room for the home theatre and your sitting 15 or 20 feet away from the screen, hanging a TV panel at five feet is going to kill your neck. Take a moment and wander into Bay-Bloor Radio or Kromer Radio (the two best A/V locations downtown) and talk to them about this. The panel should be a little above eye level (roughly) when sitting down. Another ridiculous thing I see so often (mostly in ads) are TV panels above fire places. A panel over most fireplaces ain't gonna' last too long.
You can also spend some time on the AVS forum but you have to do a bit of digging and reading about such matters, but it's a terrifically geeky board if your into such things.
http://www.avsforum.com/ -> then go into Forums

Or, the Canadian Home Theatre Forum
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/index.php

Sorry to go O/T...

Unless your suite has a huge room for the home theatre and your sitting 15 or 20 feet away from the screen, hanging a TV panel at five feet is going to kill your neck. Take a moment and wander into Bay-Bloor Radio or Kromer Radio (the two best A/V locations downtown) and talk to them about this. The panel should be a little above eye level (roughly) when sitting down. Another ridiculous thing I see so often (mostly in ads) are TV panels above fire places. A panel over most fireplaces ain't gonna' last too long.
You can also spend some time on the AVS forum but you have to do a bit of digging and reading about such matters, but it's a terrifically geeky board if your into such things.
http://www.avsforum.com/ -> then go into Forums

Or, the Canadian Home Theatre Forum
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/index.php

Sorry to go O/T...

yeah... took that into consideration. While my unit is in no way huge, -the plan for a love seat and chaisse will be approximately 12ft and 16ft (it's just a tad under 17' between where the TV will be placed and the windows) from where the TV will be hung.

Resale

Thanks Kennyx

I'm not sure what their going to be giving you, perhaps they have already set aside an allotment of appliances for this project so maybe you'll get it....the design consultant may be able to shed some light on it....(she wasn't much help in my opinion)

I guess my big thing with the appliances is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be living there (and thus able to enjoy it), I bought it originally with the intention on moving in but now that I'm not living inToronto anymore, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to live in it at least for one yr......I'm hopeful that I can come back and enjoy it but just not sure at this point....

Hello everyone,

I am new to this posting, but enjoyed reading all of the posts.

I purchased a unit in the condo with the intention of living in it, but am considering selling it as well.

A couple questions for you all.

1) Is it worth it do get any upgrades giving that there is a good chance I will just be selling it? If so, which upgrades do you think are a minimum MUST?

2) Is it possible to sell prior to closing? (Nothing illegal, just want to know if it is possible)

3)Xcondo, you said something about not living in Toronto, so you won't be living in it and can't live in it for a year. Is that a minimum living time before resale? Will you rent? Is it a good market to rent? Otherwise, if you are selling, how are you doing so?

Just trying to figure out my options should I choose to sell.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Urban Trekker

Back