News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

After working downtown for a few years, I had a brief stint working in the area...first at Yonge/Norton and then at Yonge/Finch. I hated walking on Yonge in NYCC because it was so much noiser than downtown, the sidewalks were narrow, and most of the space is dedicated to cars.

There might be perception at play here, but for the most part the sidewalks on Yonge are just as wide as the best ones downtown (and much wider than on most of Yonge downtown). And it's definitely not any noisier than the streets downtown. There are some places where the sidewalk needs to be redone, especially on the parts where they just laid asphalt around the old suburban sidewalk. But it's still a great for pedestrians, as anyone can see if they walk through the area on any evening or weekend.

And it's definitely not any noisier than the streets downtown.
Really? I found it way noiser than the streets downtown because of the traffic noise (cars travel far faster in this section than downtown). And I observed the difference everyday since I live downtown and worked in NYCC.

Really? I found it way noiser than the streets downtown because of the traffic noise (cars travel far faster in this section than downtown). And I observed the difference everyday since I live downtown and worked in NYCC.

Nowadays it's the same speed. Cars rarely travel faster than 50 on Yonge. Downtown the speed limit is lower (40 instead of 50) but everyone ends up driving the same speed.

Nowadays it's the same speed. Cars rarely travel faster than 50 on Yonge. Downtown the speed limit is lower (40 instead of 50) but everyone ends up driving the same speed.
That doesn't make sense. The portion between North York Centre and Finch is traffic free most of the time, and the road design encourages drivers to go faster than 50. Maybe it's also the amount of cars that makes walking here unpleasant.

That doesn't make sense. The portion between North York Centre and Finch is traffic free most of the time, and the road design encourages drivers to go faster than 50.

It might not make sense to you, but that's what happens. People drive 50 most of the time. Part of the reason for that is the parked cars and the bad road surface.

Maybe it's also the amount of cars that makes walking here unpleasant.

Walking here isn't unpleasant. It's no different than walking anywhere downtown - if anything, it's better since the sidewalks aren't way over capacity.

Walking here isn't unpleasant. It's no different than walking anywhere downtown - if anything, it's better since the sidewalks aren't way over capacity.
That's a matter of opinion. I always found walking here unpleasant compared to walking downtown, and am glad I don't work in NYCC anymore for that reason.

Fair comparison would be University Avenue. Cars travel just as fast on University (and faster before they lowered the speed limit years ago).

Traffic on University can be quite fast. My experience with University has mostly been around Queen's Park and I'm always unpleasantly surprised how fast the traffic is moving for a downtown street. Same thing at Front - never liked the two stage crossing or the little pedestrian island.

Traffic on University can be quite fast. My experience with University has mostly been around Queen's Park and I'm always unpleasantly surprised how fast the traffic is moving for a downtown street. Same thing at Front - never liked the two stage crossing or the little pedestrian island.

Traffic along University Ave noisier at Front than QueensPark, right? Why? QueensPark is open space with lots of trees to absorb noise,... University south of there and at Front is a development canyon where any noise continuously bounces off each building like a ping pong ball,.. that's why North York Centre is noisy.

I thought about this thread today when walking on Yonge from Sheppard to Mel Lastman Square. What I found unpleasant is the lousy urban design of the sidewalks overall. The configuration of street furniture changes completely from block. You can't just walk in a straight line along the sidewalk from block to block, which is annoying. A lot of space is wasted on utility poles and bollards set far back the roadway on the sidewalk. In some places, half of the sidewalk space is unusable because of the placement of utility poles, bollards, hydrants, and street furniture.

You also have to keep watching where you step moreso than in other places in the city because the pavement often changes from concrete to uneven asphalt to pavers. In spite of how wide the sidewalks are, you feel marginalized as a pedestrian because the urban design is so deficient to your needs and wants as a pedestrian.

Development happens at different time block to block; pedestrian sidewalk design changes according to time. In 1980s (Madison, Canada Government Building, NorthYorkCityCentre, ProctorGamble) tend was to put tree right in the middle of sidewalk. This project declutters sidewalk to put everything by curb,...

Problem with the design they want to implement now is,... in 10 years it'll be out of date.

It is 'interesting" that Mammoliti is so vocal against this project - could it be payback to local (and project supporting) Councillor, John Filion, who brought to light the Toronto Parking Authority land purchases that the OPP are now investigation and which Mammo and his chums supported? Clearly no love lost between these two!

It is 'interesting" that Mammoliti is so vocal against this project - could it be payback to local (and project supporting) Councillor, John Filion, who brought to light the Toronto Parking Authority land purchases that the OPP are now investigation and which Mammo and his chums supported? Clearly no love lost between these two!

Isn't he against every project that happens to benefit cyclists, pedestrians or transit users more than drivers?

Back