News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There is a lot of road construction happing on Yonge south of College street. Does anyone know if this is the start of the Yonge revitalization project?

I think they’re building another entrance for College Station.

There is a lot of road construction happing on Yonge south of College street. Does anyone know if this is the start of the Yonge revitalization project?

As Evan noted, its a second exit and elevators for College Station.

Yonge Street Revitalization begins in 2023 and runs to 2025.

2023? To be completed in 2025? Considering that this forum thread opened in 2007, that’s 16 years before the project even begins, I don’t have much faith in the 2025 completion date. No rush, it’s not like we want tourists and visitors to walk away with a good impression of our somewhat dysfunctional city.city.

2023? To be completed in 2025? Considering that this forum thread opened in 2007, that’s 16 years before the project even begins, I don’t have much faith in the 2025 completion date. No rush, it’s not like we want tourists and visitors to walk away with a good impression of our somewhat dysfunctional city.city.

While I think the timeline could be tighter; you do have to remember this is not merely a surface treatment.

They are replacing a more than century old watermain; putting in new internet fibre, completely reconstructing the road, moving the catch basins, adding lighting and wiring for same, then doing all the finishing work.

The project was only approved this spring, and now has to go to detailed design.

I haven't seen any preliminary phasing schedule, but I'm assuming they are thinking of beginning construction early in 2023 (spring).

I would assume year 1 is below the road works, year 2 is the new road; spring 2025 is planting and various finishing.

With any luck, the project would wrap before summer 2025; but that's a guess on my part, and may be optimistic.

Last edited:
While I think the timeline could be tighter; you do have to remember this not merely a surface treatment.

They are replacing a more than century old watermain; putting in new internet fibre, completely reconstructing the road, moving the catch basins, adding lighting and wiring for same, then doing all the finishing work.

The project was only approved this spring, and now has to go to detailed design.

I haven't seen any preliminary phasing schedule, but I'm assuming they are thinking of beginning construction early in 2023 (spring).

I would assume year 1 is below the road works, year 2 is the new road; spring 2025 is planting and various finishing.

With any luck, the project would wrap before summer 2025; but that's a guess on my part, and may be optimistic.
I like your optimism but after living with the Wellington Fiasco since ca 2014 I am not so sure. Transportation and ECS will surely find a way to screw it up!

I like your optimism but after living with the Wellington Fiasco since ca 2014 I am not so sure. Transportation and ECS will surely find a way to screw it up!
Nevermind Wellington, just look at John Street.

AoD

Years of exposure to UT and the foibles of the Toronto bureaucracy have only one logical outcome........

In the final form of evolution, we all become @Amare

🤣

My Formula for estimating the completion of projects is to take the number of years the city projects it will take to complete the project and multiply it by 2 and add 2. And so They are saying the project will take 2 years from 2023 to 2025. My formula says it will take them 6 years instead of 2 years. So Should be done by 2029.

Years of exposure to UT and the foibles of the Toronto bureaucracy have only one logical outcome........

In the final form of evolution, we all become @Amare

🤣
Nothing wrong with that in my books; always stay skeptical until any person/organization proves they will fulfill their duties.

As they say there are 2 types of people: those who trust others right away and that trust ends if they are done wrong, and those who dont trust anyone and wait to see if the opposite party can be trusted before full trust is given :cool:

Nothing wrong with that in my books; always stay skeptical until any person/organization proves they will fulfill their duties.

As they say there are 2 types of people: those who trust others right away and that trust ends if they are done wrong, and those who dont trust anyone and wait to see if the opposite party can be trusted before full trust is given :cool:

I didn't say there was anything wrong w/that.

Though, I confess, without being blind to the travails of the real world; I do think its hard to be motivated to make change if you don't feel its possible.

I like to think I occupy that space that is skeptical, but determined.

A better world isn't easy or automatic; it is necessary, and I will be part of making it happen.

I didn't say there was anything wrong w/that.

Though, I confess, without being blind to the travails of the real world; I do think its hard to be motivated to make change if you don't feel its possible.

I like to think I occupy that space that is skeptical, but determined.

A better world isn't easy or automatic; it is necessary, and I will be part of making it happen.
Definitely a good mindset to have, thus the reason i should be taking more notes from people like you.

When it comes to Toronto bureaucracy i've definitely grown apathetic to the whole thing, especially when you see the same mistakes repeated over, and over, and over again.

Definitely a good mindset to have, thus the reason i should be taking more notes from people like you.

When it comes to Toronto bureaucracy i've definitely grown apathetic to the whole thing, especially when you see the same mistakes repeated over, and over, and over again.
I fully agree with @Northern Light that it is definitely worth trying to influence things and improve things. Of course, one is not always successful (and, on reflection, some of one's original ideas are simply wrong!) but events and bureaucracies CAN be influenced and nudged. You need to have a long-view and great patience as many changes are the result of tiny changes made (or not made) over many years. Sometimes a small (but important) change may be achieved quite fast if you connect with the right person (political or staff) at the right time. Several years ago I tried to have a traffic light post moved from the centre of the sidewalk (George @ Richmond) but was told 'it meets our standards". Then one day last year I saw a guy in a wheelchair trying to get around it, with great difficulty. I got his OK to take a photo which I sent to a contact and the pole was relocated about a month later. Then there is the fiasco on Wellington which has been dragging on for over a decade (and under some sort of construction since 2015/16) - it MAY be finished in 2022 but we have thought that since 2017! That is an example of a project with MANY moving parts and many players and the City appears unable to get utility companies (particularly the City-owned Toronto Hydro) to meet deadlines and follow plans!

In short, think ahead, NEVER give up and try to find people in the City bureaucracy who can help (and who may need help sometimes!)

Update received via email:

yongeTOmorrow logo

yongeTOmorrow Municipal Class Environmental Assessment:
Notice of Study Completion​

The City of Toronto has completed a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment that evaluated potential improvements to the Yonge Street public right-of-way between Queen Street and College/Carlton Street that are consistent with the City's objectives to increase pedestrian space and improve the way people move through and experience downtown Yonge Street.
The Preferred Design Concept for Yonge Street, as documented in the Environmental Study Report (ESR), includes increasing sidewalk widths and providing other improvements to the public realm by reducing the existing four driving lanes cross-section to two lanes and introducing separated cycling facilities north of Gerrard Street to College Street. The following design elements are consistent for the full length of the corridor from Queen Street to College / Carlton Street:
  • 6.6 metre wide, two lane roadway with mountable curbs and vehicular paving stone
  • 2.7 metre wide furnishing, planting, café and curbside activity zone (the “activity zone”) on each side of the street
  • 4.0 metre wide (minimum) pedestrian clearway with pedestrian paving stone, on each side of the street
City staff will continue to consult on the operational plan for Yonge Street during detailed design. Operational elements that may be considered as part of this include potential pedestrian priority areas, turn movements/restrictions, one-way/two-way driving access, signal timing, and loading, among others. The operational plan will be brought to the appropriate Committee of Council for consideration prior to construction.

Opportunities for Review​

The yongeTOmorrow Environmental Assessment was carried out following the requirements for “Schedule C” projects under the Municipal Class EA. An Environmental Study Report has been placed on public record for a 30-day review period starting November 18, 2021, and ending on December 20, 2021. It is available for review at: toronto.ca/yongeTOmorrow or by contacting the City staff listed on this notice.
Interested persons may provide written comments to the project team by December 20, 2021. All comments and concerns should be addressed to City staff listed on this notice.
Maogosha Pyjor
55 John Street, Metro Hall, 19th Floor
City of Toronto
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Tel: 416-338-2850
Email:
Maogosha.Pyjor@toronto.ca

A request may be made to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks for an order requiring a higher level of study, or that conditions be imposed, only on the grounds that the requested order may prevent, mitigate or remedy adverse impacts on constitutionally protected Aboriginal and treaty rights. Requests on other grounds will not be considered. Requests must include your contact information and be received by December 20, 2021.
Requests should specify what kind of order is being requested (request for conditions or a request for an individual/comprehensive environmental assessment), how an order may prevent, mitigate or remedy potential adverse impacts on Aboriginal and treaty rights, and any information in support of the statements in the request. This will ensure that the ministry is able to efficiently begin reviewing the request.
The request should be sent in writing or by email to:

Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
777 Bay Street, 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2J3
Email:
minister.mecp@ontario.ca

AND

Director, Environmental Assessment Branch
Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks
135 St. Clair Ave. W, 1st Floor
Toronto, ON M4V 1P5
Email:
EABDirector@ontario.ca

Requests should also be copied to the City of Toronto by mail or e-mail. For more information on requests for orders under section 16 of the Environmental Assessment Act visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/class-environmental-assessments-part-ii-order

Issue Date: November 18, 2021

Information will be collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All comments will become part of the public record. Unless you request that your personal information remain confidential, all personal information included in a request for an order, may be made available to the general public by the Ministry under the authority of the Environmental Assessment Act and/or s.37 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Website iconEmail icon
EaGOL86WVI5jfTaUxkc4zEP0-XlHMwc0HZCO558JnpKAVSn6aVoKQnecJExSjnU68t6fsMi0yqXWuo0w4eRcWXTeTjhacOzQB1dI6RPNQlX8Dt9NEPf46QABxzpsS9pHT-DTD7bHFt9Mrwq6Hn8DZ9fHgX85TK8r3FRT9CzDvcT4p9Xxh-nnTrk=s0-d-e1-ft
Copyright (C) 2021 City of Toronto. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you requested to join the yongeTOmorrow EA study mailing list, either at a consultation event, online (toronto.ca/yongeTOmorrow), or in a communication with the project team.

City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 19th Floor
55 John Street
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Canada
Add us to your address book

Update Preferences | Unsubscribe

Back