News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

56 Springbrook, half-hourly weekdays, hourly evenings and weekends, largely through new partially-inhabited subdivisions).

Huh. Wow. The GTA has high standards for frequency.

In Ottawa, half-hour weekdays, hourly evening & weekends is actually the norm for almost all suburban routes. In places like Orleans and Kanata, all routes other than the main trunk route through the middle of it, have that frequency.

That is because 56 is part of a major corridor (Queen), and same thing applies to 35 (Bovaird/Castlemore). And introducing service while the area is still being built will make them rely on transit and use them more often. 41/41A Thomas in Mississauga has been a really good result due to this. Lots of people going to Streetsville to connect to the GO Train or transferring to 109 to go to Square One or Etobicoke.

And it's not really GTA, but more like Peel and Toronto that have decent transit. Not that I'm downplaying Viva blue and DRT Pulse, but we're talking about the overall network here.

Huh. Wow. The GTA has high standards for frequency.

In Ottawa, half-hour weekdays, hourly evening & weekends is actually the norm for almost all suburban routes. In places like Orleans and Kanata, all routes other than the main trunk route through the middle of it, have that frequency.
Not sure your point. Toronto is even better with half-hour evening and weekends.

Some cities surrounding Toronto have lower frequencies. This is also true in Ottawa where the adjoining city to the north runs many routes hourly or worse in rush hour! It's not difficult to find some lousy STO service.

My point is that people are complaining that "half-hourly weekdays, hourly evenings and weekends, largely through new partially-inhabited subdivisions" makes for a horrible bus route. In Ottawa nobody would complain that a bus route like that is bad, because the whole city is like that.

It was a comment on how the GTA has much more frequent service than Ottawa does.

My point is that people are complaining that "half-hourly weekdays, hourly evenings and weekends, largely through new partially-inhabited subdivisions" makes for a horrible bus route. In Ottawa nobody would complain that a bus route like that is bad, because the whole city is like that.

It was a comment on how the GTA has much more frequent service than Ottawa does.
Ah ... got you.

Ottawa does really well getting downtown office workers from their suburban homes to downtown Ottawa; otherwise the system is rather lousy, especially if you don't live close to the Transitway or a few major corridors (Carling Avenue, Baseline, Montreal Road, Bank Street). Calgary is the same: the C-Train and the "BRT" corridors manage to capture a very large share of the downtown commuter traffic, but does poorly otherwise.

In Ottawa, the choice ridership is served by the green express routes from middle and outer ring suburbs; in Calgary it's the park-and-rides at the C-Train stations.

Last edited:
I thought Ottawa was known for pretty good service? For some reason I thought it got a higher per capita ridership than Toronto, and is able to capture a higher percentage of choice ridership as well?
Ottawa's website says Toronto per capita ridership is higher - http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/accou...planning-and-performance-management/transit-1

Global news says Toronto is higher - http://globalnews.ca/news/1546269/toronto-transit-lagging-behind-other-major-cities-report/

That being said, being number 2 isn't bad.

When I lived in Ottawa for school, I was lucky to find a place near a transitway stop. I learned quickly getting around Ottawa outside the peak hours on non-transitway routes was a chore. Other than riding non transitway routes for fun and exploration, I never really used non-transitway routes.

When I lived in Ottawa for school, I was lucky to find a place near a transitway stop. I learned quickly getting around Ottawa outside the peak hours on non-transitway routes was a chore. Other than riding non transitway routes for fun and exploration, I never really used non-transitway routes.

The Transitway routes were pretty great. Very easy, and surprisingly fast, to get to the Airport or Train station from downtown (although the latter is still in the wrong location).

This is why 102D Markham Road service sucks so hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JPqOKBzh8

I live near the 102D route, while I always seem to see the bus when driving around, I'm sure it'd never be there if I was trying to ride it. YRT has gone done the gutter completely in the last few years, it's like they pooled all their eggs into the Viva service, which even that has had service levels cut significantly since it started in 2005, but at least they still maintain the 15 minute all day frequency.

Back