News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Does anyone know or want to hypothesize why VIVA purple doesnt turn south on Yonge so it can serve all of Centre St. If this was the alignment, it could also create an alternate branch route to replace VIVA orange which would go straight down Highway 7 to Martin Grove (and eventually Highway 50). This would be route that would serve a much bigger passenger base (the 77's) then the one the orange serves. From the looks of 2014 service plan, even after the subway comes and all viva diversions to YorkU can end, they are not planning on having a full east-west York Region link.

Just to add, the 2017 plan changes the viva routing to go south from promenade on new westminster and across clark ave to Yonge then south on Yonge. It would be a branch between Richmond Hill Centre and Clark Ave.

I was at Walker's talk too, I disagree with you using what he says to justify rerouting Viva Purple away from Centre/Bathurst. The routing via Centre and Bathurst doesn't deviate from the grid (Centre is the same corridor as Highway 7 west). It's not indirect. It serves trip generators. The only thing to change is removing the loop from the route and stop on-street. If you're talking about Enterprise Drive deviation, I'll agree with you there.

Why didn't you post in my thread about his talk? We could have hung out afterwards.

Since Highway 7 actually transverses two grid roads (Centre/14th side road and Langstaff/15th side road), its routing might be the most logical but it hardly feels like the most natural. Not a single person who is headed to York University along Highway 7 is going to get off at Bathurst and Centre. The transit terminal is nice, but is hardly worth the detour if all the routes pulling into it operate once or twice every hour. It was like Walker roughly said, 'you have the line detour over here to serve this destination, but becomes next to useless to those going beyond this destination.'

As for transferring to go south, once the subway opens that is exactly what will happen. Even now, the thought of taking a Major Mackenzie or Rutherford bus across to Keele actually is somewhat appealing, but the routes run so infrequently it is not worth it.

Why didn't you post in my thread about his talk? We could have hung out afterwards.

Since Highway 7 actually transverses two grid roads (Centre/14th side road and Langstaff/15th side road), its routing might be the most logical but it hardly feels like the most natural. Not a single person who is headed to York University along Highway 7 is going to get off at Bathurst and Centre. The transit terminal is nice, but is hardly worth the detour if all the routes pulling into it operate once or twice every hour. It was like Walker roughly said, 'you have the line detour over here to serve this destination, but becomes next to useless to those going beyond this destination.'

As for transferring to go south, once the subway opens that is exactly what will happen. Even now, the thought of taking a Major Mackenzie or Rutherford bus across to Keele actually is somewhat appealing, but the routes run so infrequently it is not worth it.

You do realize that the majority of Viva Purple riders headed towards York U get on and off around the Centre/ Bathurst corridor...and that the Promenade stop is the 6th busiest in the entire YRT system. People heading to York U can take the 407 GO bus from RHC if the detour is so much of a burden http://www.yorku.ca/trnsprt/publictransit/gotransit.htm

Not to mention the Promenade mall is the only major trip generator between RHC and York U (there are many industrial businesses, but not many of them generate trips past the peak hours). Maybe dedicate a few peak hour express versions of the route kind of like how Viva Blue A by-passes RHC, but unfortunately I doubt the line has enough ridership to either warrant a few extra buses, no to divert some of the existing buses to by-pass the area.

For a bit, I thought York Region was actually going to go with International Avenue. I admit that's better than "Avenue 7", but not by that much.

Why doesn't anyone think of using a traditional naming convention? Look at how crosstown streets like Bloor, Eglinton, Sheppard, etc, were named? Can't these people think? Look in a historical atlas and pick a 19th Century landowners name at Yonge and the-then 15th Avenue and use it as a street name. Langstaff can't be used, but there would be others.

Why doesn't anyone think of using a traditional naming convention? Look at how crosstown streets like Bloor, Eglinton, Sheppard, etc, were named? Can't these people think? Look in a historical atlas and pick a 19th Century landowners name at Yonge and the-then 15th Avenue and use it as a street name. Langstaff can't be used, but there would be others.

I'm not sure using a 19th century British landowner's name is exactly going to fly in what is one of the most diverse corridors in the country. I live along 7 and am of mostly British stock myself, but I'm really in the minority, even among the "white" population.

IMO, if we do rename 7, it needs to be after a national hero (the person can be Anglo Saxon...lol), major event, etc.

You do realize that the majority of Viva Purple riders headed towards York U get on and off around the Centre/ Bathurst corridor...and that the Promenade stop is the 6th busiest in the entire YRT system. People heading to York U can take the 407 GO bus from RHC if the detour is so much of a burden http://www.yorku.ca/trnsprt/publictransit/gotransit.htm

Not to mention the Promenade mall is the only major trip generator between RHC and York U (there are many industrial businesses, but not many of them generate trips past the peak hours). Maybe dedicate a few peak hour express versions of the route kind of like how Viva Blue A by-passes RHC, but unfortunately I doubt the line has enough ridership to either warrant a few extra buses, no to divert some of the existing buses to by-pass the area.

Being a regular on this route, I know that the vast majority of riders are going between York U and Richmond Hill Centre. Yes there is a changeup at Promenade, but at Richmond Hill Centre the buses literally empty out except for a small handful of passengers. Also while the Promenade might be one of the busier stops (wouldn't mind seeing the link, not that I doubt you, but curious to see Viva stop ridership numbers), it is no secret that a lot of passengers are teenagers riding between the high school at Atkinson and the mall. It is also not a secret that a sizable percentage of them do not pay their fares, as this is one of the first places where Viva cops do their checks.

And yes there is a GO bus, and it is very frequent too since multiple branches pass through the stop. The problem is the extra cost involved in taking it, and when dealing with university students, every cent counts. In addition, I am willing to bet that many students don't realize some of the discounts available (75 cent to GO automatic with Presto, student GO fares). That said, when I'm running late, it is one hell of a lifesaver.

To clarify, I am not in favour of canceling the busway planned for Centre and Bathurst. However this is more due to them being too far ahead than because they make good planning sense. Ideally I want to see a new branch of Purple stay on Highway 7 exclusively with another branch making the various detours.

Being a regular on this route, I know that the vast majority of riders are going between York U and Richmond Hill Centre. Yes there is a changeup at Promenade, but at Richmond Hill Centre the buses literally empty out except for a small handful of passengers. Also while the Promenade might be one of the busier stops (wouldn't mind seeing the link, not that I doubt you, but curious to see Viva stop ridership numbers), it is no secret that a lot of passengers are teenagers riding between the high school at Atkinson and the mall. It is also not a secret that a sizable percentage of them do not pay their fares, as this is one of the first places where Viva cops do their checks.

And yes there is a GO bus, and it is very frequent too since multiple branches pass through the stop. The problem is the extra cost involved in taking it, and when dealing with university students, every cent counts. In addition, I am willing to bet that many students don't realize some of the discounts available (75 cent to GO automatic with Presto, student GO fares). That said, when I'm running late, it is one hell of a lifesaver.

To clarify, I am not in favour of canceling the busway planned for Centre and Bathurst. However this is more due to them being too far ahead than because they make good planning sense. Ideally I want to see a new branch of Purple stay on Highway 7 exclusively with another branch making the various detours.

This is a perfectly acceptable response. While i'm not saying you're wrong about the teenagers using the "freeva" I would argue if they're taking the bus after work they likely either A) live close enough to walk to school, or B) don't take the School bus home which means C) They likely already own a monthly YRT pass. Otherwise they would be driving to the mall or catching a ride with their friends. Sure there are probably those few people who pay for every trip they take and just skip out on paying when they take the Viva, but I suspect it's substantially lower than the majority.

I will try to track down the link about promenade stop being the sixth busiest. Granted it probably classifies it being the 6th busiest just because of the amount of routes that go there, but still IMO that warrants providing a trunk route just for the collector route connections.

I agree as well that the 75cent discount isn't well known to students, and based on my experience when I was in high school, the GO system can seem like a confusing and daunting thing to understand.

I think once Viva next comes online across highway 7 we may see some express routes by-pass the detours (you'll notice that the 2017 plan for Viva Purple shows one branch keeping straight on highway 7 instead of detouring down to Enterprise), but I wouldn't hold my breath, because there is absolutely no development between centre and Bathurst on highway 7, and very few route connections either, it just doesn't make very good planning sense. I think the best we may se eon this route, would at most, be one or two trips per peak period dedicated to express towards RHC, but even then it's a long shot as the difference between the 407 GO, would be one stop at Keele and the GO would arrive much, much quicker with it travelling on the 407. It would be duplication of service, without adding much else other than the stop at Keele.

Last edited:
You do realize that the majority of Viva Purple riders headed towards York U get on and off around the Centre/ Bathurst corridor...and that the Promenade stop is the 6th busiest in the entire YRT system.

Where is the list of busiest stops? (Google isn't helping me much on this)

Where is the list of busiest stops? (Google isn't helping me much on this)

Just looked for it yesterday because I had to use it for my work at the consulting firm I work for. It's part of an internal document I've used for planning work with the Region. Not sure if i'm allowed to post it or not.

There's already a York Boulevard, and it runs off Highway 7. I suppose they could rename that too but it's kind of a moot point.
They took 2 or 3 runs at renaming the road over the past few years and it all came to naught. They had to get new street signs anyway with the rapidways but now they're going in so the ship has kind of sailed. Everyone had a half-decent idea of what to change it too but no one had a fully good idea so, luckily, they didn't change it just on principle.

Back