News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I was up there this evening and there's no way that the Rapidway from East Beaver Creek to Chalmers is going to be open this weekend! Drum above says August, and he's probably right.

Will be open late July

Last edited:
Will be open late July

I guess the CEO of Metrolinx is out of the loop, since it was him that stated the Aug opening at Thursday BOD meeting.

I guess the CEO of Metrolinx is out of the loop, since it was him that stated the Aug opening at Thursday BOD meeting.

Maybe official opening will be late Aug. Facilities will be done and finished late July. Photo ops must be had, babies must be kissed before it starts taking buses I suppose.

How about Queen St? I suggest this because it would be a continuation of the Queen St name in Brampton, and streets with such names seem to be core arterials.

It would be kind of awkward for Yonge to intersect with Queen Street twice. Like if someone says "Yonge & Queen" it might cause confusion.

And considering width of the road now (8+ lanes wide?), calling it a "street" wouldn't be appropriate anyway. "Highway 7" makes more sense. Or just call it "7th Avenue" or "Avenue 7" or something stupid like that.

It would be kind of awkward for Yonge to intersect with Queen Street twice. Like if someone says "Yonge & Queen" it might cause confusion.

And considering width of the road now (8+ lanes wide?), calling it a "street" wouldn't be appropriate anyway. "Highway 7" makes more sense. Or just call it "7th Avenue" or "Avenue 7" or something stupid like that.

I'm not that enthusiastic about renaming York Region's portion of Highway 7 Queen Street. There's no historical tie to that name. Until 1974, Queen Street in Brampton was only between Chinguacousy Road and Highway 410. It gradually assumed the name across the entire stretch from Mississauga Road to Highway 50. A better choice might be Welington Street then, as that was the name of Highway 7 in the former Village of Markham (but there's a Wellington in Aurora, and it's not best practice to use the same name for a major road in the same regional municipality.)

But then about about Eglinton and Kennedy? Steeles and Kennedy? Or the right corner of say Birchmount and Danforth? People deal with it. People have figured out there's two, very different, Route 501 Queens in the GTA.

Last edited:
Maybe official opening will be late Aug. Facilities will be done and finished late July. Photo ops must be had, babies must be kissed before it starts taking buses I suppose.

I contacted YRT and their response was 'late summer'.

This section will be highly publicizes since it will be the first real item that the public can see and used under the first wave of the Big Move. Got to show where the money is going and why the new taxes are needed for the plan items.

I was planning on doing a video on June 29 as I was heading north, but was 95 minutes behind schedule for the event I was going too. Couldn't fit it in the remaining spare time I original sit a side to do some photo shooting of some things I have being wanting to do for year. I even miss another location being late.

I hope I am around when they official open it.

I'm not that enthusiastic about renaming York Region's portion of Highway 7 Queen Street. There's no historical tie to that name. Until 1974, Queen Street in Brampton was only between Chinguacousy Road and Highway 410. It gradually assumed the name across the entire stretch from Mississauga Road to Highway 50. A better choice might be Welington Street then, as that was the name of Highway 7 in the former Village of Markham (but there's a Wellington in Aurora, and it's not best practice to use the same name for a major road in the same regional municipality.)

But then about about Eglinton and Kennedy? Steeles and Kennedy? Or the right corner of say Birchmount and Danforth? People deal with it. People have figured out there's two, very different, Route 501 Queens in the GTA.

Eglinton, Steeles, Kennedy... none of those are as iconic as Queen or Yonge. Queen St belongs to particular places: Brampton, Streetsville, Toronto... and people get that. It is a local name, so to use it outside those places would be confusing. Imagine if all of Mississauga Rd and/or The Queensway were renamed Queen St, that would be annoying too.

As for the '501 (Züm) Queen' routes, they are local transit routes the same way the Queen Streets are local streets, and Brampton's route has completely different branding, vehicles... so I think it is not the same as having a Queen St connecting Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham... Plus, '501 Queen' is not actually identical to '501 Züm Queen'...

Here's a quick update from my way to work today:

The Rapidways and intersections have been paved in red asphalt. Bike lanes are painted, but blocked by pylons. I had to ride in the curb traffic lane, and I got honked at by someone who told me to get off the road.
800px-Hwy_7_Looking_west_toward_Valleymede.JPG

The stops seem pretty close to finished. All the fare machines seem to be installed and the Next Bus displays are running. For a while last week they were actually displaying next bus information, but they've since chaged to messages such as "Visit yrt.ca" or "Stay cool and hydrated" on hot days.
800px-Leslie_Vivastation.JPG

I'll upload some more of the pics next week, when flickr is back up.

Last edited:
Wow, bike lanes... they definitely should have reduced the regular traffic lanes to 2 per direction. That road is literally 11 lanes wide. But maybe in the future the entire road will be lined with street-level retail, and 2 lanes coverted to on-street parking, it won't be so bad.

It really bugs me that with all the width they had to play with, and doing a full street reconstruction, they could've easily put in really nice, simple, curb-seperated bike lanes. On a street like that, I'm guessing most cyclists now will be on the sidewalk (I do realize there's not many of them up there though).

Back