News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

$30 million a km... pricey for what is in essence a road widening. A lot of those costs must go to the stations themselves.. I wonder how much those huge things cost.

Those damn stations must be millions each ... they cool but feel oppressive ! Honestly doesn't help with a more urban feel at all, actually there's been 0 improvement in the retail along Hi-way 7 in the finished part of the rapid way, but of course that'll take time. Sidewalk finishings themselves must cost a lot !! They went all out, with stone paving and what not, there are pictures earlier.

$30 million a km... pricey for what is in essence a road widening. A lot of those costs must go to the stations themselves.. I wonder how much those huge things cost.

Still half the cost per km of building in-median LRT (referencing the $60M/km for Sheppard East and Finch West), which is in essence the same thing but with tracks and overhead power.

My guess is that a lot of that is being spent on improving the streetscape, like they did on 7. Nicer sidewalks, some boulevards, etc. Not to mention they likely need to relocate a boatload of utilities for this.

Last edited:
Will any of the VIVA system have actual Transitways like MiWay or OC Transpo?

I thought that was the end goal. The first phases were to build in the places where the bus suffered from traffic congestion, then moving on and outward from that. Eventually all of the VIVA branded routes would be in segregated ROW's

not grade separated though, which is what Ssiguy2 is referring to. It is a BRT, not a transitway. runs in median, with some form of signal priority.

Will any of the VIVA system have actual Transitways like MiWay or OC Transpo?

I believe the 407 Transitway will be run by VIVA, and its design calls for a grade-separated roadway, much like Ottawa's Transitway. The current VIVA construction however is more akin to Transit City, but with BRT instead of LRT.

The 407 transitway is a GO project from my understanding, though I don't see it moving forward any time soon.

That's my understanding too. GO might give it some separate branding and a fancy name but it will be Metrolinx, not Viva doing it. They said, when they did the EA, that it would be around 2023 but who knows.

For all intents and purposes this is an LRT level ROW project without the tracks or wires. All the infrastructure, though, is being built to LRT specifications and standards. When the time, if ever, comes to upgrade the ROW for LRT it'll be as simple as replacing the roadway with tracks and adding the overhead wires/ transformers and other relevant stuff that comes with the jump (including an LRT yard). But for the most part what's built during this project will require hardly any modification to accommodate LRT in the future.

For all intents and purposes this is an LRT level ROW project without the tracks or wires. All the infrastructure, though, is being built to LRT specifications and standards. When the time, if ever, comes to upgrade the ROW for LRT it'll be as simple as replacing the roadway with tracks and adding the overhead wires/ transformers and other relevant stuff that comes with the jump (including an LRT yard). But for the most part what's built during this project will require hardly any modification to accommodate LRT in the future.

Which brings into mind how are they going to convert the bayview towers to LRT? From the current configuration itll look like the trains will have to jump 3 lanes just to get to the stop which will be a nightmare in traffic.
the 404 bridge will probably be 1/2 ROW due to the lack of space underneath unless they replace the bridge

Which brings into mind how are they going to convert the bayview towers to LRT? From the current configuration itll look like the trains will have to jump 3 lanes just to get to the stop which will be a nightmare in traffic.
the 404 bridge will probably be 1/2 ROW due to the lack of space underneath unless they replace the bridge

There's parts and pieces that will have to be modified. I believe the Bayview Towers is one such example, another section is the choke-point at the HWY 404 underpass where the BRT ROW will be one lane.

Back