News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

There's parts and pieces that will have to be modified. I believe the Bayview Towers is one such example, another section is the choke-point at the HWY 404 underpass where the BRT ROW will be one lane.

Ottawa is going through a similar process right now. With the central portion of the Transitway being converted into LRT, you can definitely see the newer Transitway extensions (opened in the past 10 years or less) were built to be LRT-ready with almost no upgrades needed. The section in Barrhaven from Fallowfield to Barrhaven Centre specifically comes to mind. The central Transitway needs a few more upgrades because the LRT standards weren't as defined in the 70s/80s as they are now.

A lot of what YR is building now has a very similar feel to what Ottawa built in Barrhaven, albeit with a slightly different configuration.

I wonder if it is feasible to combine the 2 towers and move it to the middle in the future without serious bridge reconstruction. I think they can get away with the 404 underpass if they schedule the trains so that opposing trains will never be at the junction at the same time. but considering their track record on scheduling as of late.........

Ottawa is going through a similar process right now. With the central portion of the Transitway being converted into LRT, you can definitely see the newer Transitway extensions (opened in the past 10 years or less) were built to be LRT-ready with almost no upgrades needed. The section in Barrhaven from Fallowfield to Barrhaven Centre specifically comes to mind. The central Transitway needs a few more upgrades because the LRT standards weren't as defined in the 70s/80s as they are now.

A lot of what YR is building now has a very similar feel to what Ottawa built in Barrhaven, albeit with a slightly different configuration.

I was under the impression the actual stations in Ottawa had to be modified to be level with the new lrt vehicles? Is this correct?

I was under the impression the actual stations in Ottawa had to be modified to be level with the new lrt vehicles? Is this correct?

It's more for platform length than for height. All OC Transpo buses are low-floor kneeling buses, and Transitway stations are standard curb height. The original Transitway stations were by and large designed for shorter LRT trains, not the 120m ones Ottawa will be using on opening day. The design is also pretty open, which doesn't fit with what the City wanted for the LRT system, at least for the central stretch, where they wanted them to look more like subway stations than streetcar stops.

The newer stations though, those built after say 2000, when the City began seriously considering LRT, are designed for LRT conversion. Take for example Longfields station, opened in 2011:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Vq_5JN_zfpE/Tazd1qYA6jI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/1TxwK0poBVo/s1600/P3020027.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eWQITUbYbEA/TazfIsjU1YI/AAAAAAAAAlY/vGnfynxn-jE/s1600/P3020023.JPG

It's more for platform length than for height. All OC Transpo buses are low-floor kneeling buses, and Transitway stations are standard curb height. The original Transitway stations were by and large designed for shorter LRT trains, not the 120m ones Ottawa will be using on opening day. The design is also pretty open, which doesn't fit with what the City wanted for the LRT system.

The newer stations though, those built after say 2000, when the City began seriously considering LRT, are designed for LRT conversion. Take for example Longfields station, opened in 2011:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Vq_5JN_zfpE/Tazd1qYA6jI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/1TxwK0poBVo/s1600/P3020027.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eWQITUbYbEA/TazfIsjU1YI/AAAAAAAAAlY/vGnfynxn-jE/s1600/P3020023.JPG

awesome thanks for the info! Wonder if there are goign to be passing tracks at the stations or not?

awesome thanks for the info! Wonder if there are goign to be passing tracks at the stations or not?

I don't believe any of the Confederation Line stations will have passing tracks. Where the branches merge may feature something though. We'll see when the detailed design for the Western LRT extension comes, because the line will split south of Lincoln Fields, with 1 branch going to Baseline and the other to Bayshore.

In any case, I believe that the design for in-median LRT has become pretty standardized, so in-median BRT lines are being built to similar standards to minimize the need for changes/upgrades during conversions.

....another section is the choke-point at the HWY 404 underpass where the BRT ROW will be one lane.

That hasn't been in the plans for several years. The sidewalks and lanes may be a bit narrower than they'd like, but there will be two full lanes for the ROW through the underpass.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That hasn't been in the plans for several years. The sidewalks and lanes may be a bit narrower than they'd like, but there will be two full lanes for the ROW through the underpass.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No their isn't, I saw it last summer, the ROW doesn't continue under the 404.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

When I was working for YRT the plan was originally to have two full lanes, but because of the width they were planning to have one ROW with a light that would coordinate when buses could cross, this was later revised to what now looks like it'll just be one full ROW for one of the directions where the opposite direction briefly merges with traffic (depending on which direction has more congestion).

Maybe the plan has changed again.

Looking good! I'm glad that they kept the same look for every station. If you're anywhere in the area, the "glass dome" look will be instantly recognizable as a VIVA station, even if you're wandering around and don't know exactly which station it is.

Just drove down Davis this morning. Sewage work seems almost completed, and the first sidewalks are beginning to be poured. Lots of retaining walls to fit the widened street. The two historic buildings have been moved back.

Also, could yonge street be added to the title? construction on that part is finally starting.

Back