News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If you guys have opinions/comments in relation to YRT or Viva it's best to send a email to them as they are one of the few transit agencies that actually take their customers seriously.

In late August, the new Warden Vivastation was closed for "under-warranty changes". Does anyone know what they've changed? Shortly after the busway opened I sent a complaint to YRT about the appalling "transit priority signals" at the intersection just east of the station (click for video). They responded that they were working on it. Either they changed only the signal timing and buses wait 8 sec instead of 28 sec, or they changed both the timing and the location of the detectors, which would result in no wait at all. Has anyone ridden it to know which it is?

As well, I found this picture on Flickr, which shows that they repaved the surface in asphalt. The surface was originally paved with hand-laid bricks which you can see in this picture I took shortly after opening. The bricks did give quite a poor ride quality, but that wouldn't explain why they only repaved the station itself, where buses are going slowest. And it does seem to be a bit of a waste, considering the enormous effort and expense it took to lay the original brick surface.

Last edited:
As well, I found this picture on Flickr, which shows that they repaved the surface in asphalt. The surface was originally paved with hand-laid bricks which you can see in this picture I took shortly after opening. The bricks did give quite a poor ride quality, but that wouldn't explain why they only repaved the station itself, where buses are going slowest. And it does seem to be a bit of a waste, considering the enormous effort and expense it took to lay the original brick surface.

The bricks were taken out of the station because of some drainage issues and platform height issues, and was repaved with black asphalt (they were unhappy with the red pigment, so they went with black). What happened was that when the ground was wet, the bricks became easier to move around - and with the repeated movement of buses over them, they started to move and create a 'wave' shape perpendicular to the curb.

The bricks were part of Downtown Markham's design standard so the rest will probably be left alone. They don't want to close the rapidway ever again (until it comes time for full repaving, including Highway 7 - probably 20+ years down the road).

Hwy 7 to be wonderful tree-lined boulevard in York Region!

I noticed over the summer along Hwy 7 that during the widening of the ROW and new sidewalks from Chalmers to the 404 and that they were stacks of plastic "stools" everywhere. It seems they were for a Silva Cell like application.

York region is using Cupolex® as their solution to ensuring a wonderful tree-lined Hwy 7 through York region. :D

Link:http://vivanext.com/blog/2011/11/15/new-technology-takes-root-helping-trees-grow/

This is pretty cool, so I'm bringing this thread back from the dead!

Expected to last from 40 to 50 years, long-life pavement is more costly to install during the construction phase than conventional pavement. But those upfront costs can be justified by the anticipated long-term savings on maintenance and repair. Most repairs will be primarily “shave and pave.”

Long-life pavement isn’t the only innovation the region will be using. Instead of erecting physical barriers, red-coloured pavement will be used for the bus lanes to create a clear separation from the adjacent vehicle lanes.

http://dcnonl.com/article/id48906/--york-region-gets-on-the-transit-building-bus

Last edited:
it would be cool if we could get some construction photos taken! Sometimes I take a trip and drive by here when i'm in the east end of Toronto, but I don't get to see it that often. Warden station looks absolutely amazing, really gives the sense that this line is much more than just a bus with its own lanes. It would be nice to see the TTC implement some of the station designs used on here, with the transit city lines.

I would take some pics but I'm usually the driver while driving along Hwy 7. If I manage to find a way to take a picture without breaking the law, I'll post some. As of right now, some really cool work is being done on the sidewalks (really nice irrigation system for road-side trees, long term planning) and the center bus lanes have their space dedicated to them with a two-phase pedestrian crossing in place. The bulk of the work was completed in and around Leslie Ave.

Also, that link about the long lasting pavement and lack of physical barriers (using red pavement instead) is pretty good to know. I was wondering how that would be handled. The bump strips to keep people from wandering in and out is a good idea too, but somehow I think some idiots may still be tempted to cut into the lane and plead ignorance on the other end to pass a few cars. Hopefully not, though.

I would take some pics but I'm usually the driver while driving along Hwy 7. If I manage to find a way to take a picture without breaking the law, I'll post some. As of right now, some really cool work is being done on the sidewalks (really nice irrigation system for road-side trees, long term planning) and the center bus lanes have their space dedicated to them with a two-phase pedestrian crossing in place. The bulk of the work was completed in and around Leslie Ave.

Also, that link about the long lasting pavement and lack of physical barriers (using red pavement instead) is pretty good to know. I was wondering how that would be handled. The bump strips to keep people from wandering in and out is a good idea too, but somehow I think some idiots may still be tempted to cut into the lane and plead ignorance on the other end to pass a few cars. Hopefully not, though.

Here's one thing I'm worried about, anyone who rides Viva already knows 'red / pink' painted concrete exists around the bus stops ... the problem, it looks like crap ...

It's start out a nice color but after a week or two .. puke ... actually you can already see it in the BRT around downtown Markham.

The rumble strips too separate is not a good idea, its just the cheaper approach ... the reason they're being used though is too allow emergency services to use the lanes as well easily.

I could be wrong here but I"m fairly sure if it were to become an LRT one day (which is the very long term plan) they'd use an actual separator.

Last edited:
So I was driving on hi-way 7 east of bayview, the first stop is going up ! Its the same as the one near Downtown Markham.

Also, in terms of the sidewalk, there is going to be a TON of trees if all those cut outs are for trees, trees all the way down !

If only Toronto could do things like that ...

Yeah, it looks good. If I have time on the weekend, I can try and take some photos.

I'm also glad about the trees. Some stretches of Highway 7 in the east have tons of trees and some are bare. I'd love to have the whole route consistently well treed.

So I was driving on hi-way 7 east of bayview, the first stop is going up ! Its the same as the one near Downtown Markham.

Also, in terms of the sidewalk, there is going to be a TON of trees if all those cut outs are for trees, trees all the way down !

If only Toronto could do things like that ...

Streetscaping is a major portion of the plan and it includes quite a bit of street furniture along the stretch of the rapidway. Most of it will be lined with trees, wide boulevards, and ambient lighting.

Streetscaping is a major portion of the plan and it includes quite a bit of street furniture along the stretch of the rapidway. Most of it will be lined with trees, wide boulevards, and ambient lighting.

Is the design finalized for any of those ?

Back