News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As I said upthread, I am planning to start a a community group in support of the Yonge rapidway, in order to counter the impeding propaganda which will surely arise as it gets closer to construction. Looks as if I would be foolish to not lobby for improving service on local routes as well...

Here is my question: this group will be 100% in support of the Yonge St bus lanes, but I am still on the fence about Bathurst and Centre St. While they would be nice, I don't think I've ever encountered any congestion along that corridor, except during an accident or inclement weather. Plus the money being used towards them could be used towards other means, including controlling fares and improving local service.

Here are some pictures of the Davis Rapidway construction from earlier today. below you can see one of the retaining walls, half of the new bridge (other side is under construction), and the new power line poles that are moved back from the street. I was SHOCKED to find out that transit costs $3.75 now, and $4.75 for a two zone (necessary to get to Newmarket from Finch TTC station). Im wondering how they are going to be able to get people to choose transit over driving with prices like that...
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
Alright, I finally got around to getting my Facebook page in support of the rapidways started. Wrote a pretty good op-ed piece for it as well, and am looking forward to writing more and listing councillor contact info too.

Feel free to join YRT Busways NOW! and show support for BRT in York.

https://www.facebook.com/YRTBN

Alright, I finally got around to getting my Facebook page in support of the rapidways started. Wrote a pretty good op-ed piece for it as well, and am looking forward to writing more and listing councillor contact info too.

Feel free to join YRT Busways NOW! and show support for BRT in York.

https://www.facebook.com/YRTBN

I read your blog and thought it was pretty insightful. I also think it would make sense and probably save money to run the Highway 7 rapidway down Centre St down to Yonge and then go north to RHC. This would give people in Vaughan an alternative to the (after the Spadina extension is complete) for getting to Yonge Street and Finch Station and would allow the rapidway to serve the Thornhill community more effectively. Ive only taken purple twice but both times I found the route really annoying. It served very few people between YorkU and RHC and kept making all these turns, slowing down the whole commute. Having a Viva Purple line go down Highway 7 West and Centre until Yonge and then going to RHC along side a Viva Purple A taking Highway 7 fully to get to VMC is a great idea and is what YRT should really be doing. Of course the people there, don't seem to know anything about planning transit well, so I doubt this plan will ever come into effect.

good job. This "controversy" is all about pre-2014 local election positioning.

There is almost nothing Centre and St. Clair have in common. One is lined by abandoned houses and big box stores and the other is lined by apartments and stores fronting onto the street. Centre is the epitome of a horrible suburban street in need of intensification. And let's not even get into the fact this decision was made years ago, the local population ignored the EA process etc.

We can debate how much of the route should be on Hwy. 7 etc. but the local "protesters" have no leg to stand on. It's NIMBYism at it's worst.

A few pictures from Highway 7 east rapidway construction. Taken from an eastbound VIVA purple, so not so good quality.

One of the double shelter stations east of the 404.

Westbound station before the 404.

Westbound station with red paving treatment.

Station at Town Centre Blvd

A few pictures from Highway 7 east rapidway construction. Taken from an eastbound VIVA purple, so not so good quality.

Again, no worries about the quality. Updates are always welcome, and this isn't the kind of place where we get much of that. Thanks!

Looks better then anything in the 416 !!! The attention to detail !

I love everything about this project, they've even handled construction impacts well.
It's too bad it looks odd against the suburban landscape, haha :rolleyes:

It's funny, because there are certain chunks where it doesn't look funny. There are stretches, mostly between Bayview and the 404 where it feel fairly urban.

I had to drive up to the hwy 7 and Leslie area a few times recently and the traffic congestion was horrendous, it easily took 20 minutes to just get under the 404, the main issue seems to be the traffic lights being out and the police were directing traffic. It can't be impossible to keep the lights running during construction since they are suspended from temporary wires rather than being attached to poles that need to be moved as the construction progresses.

Yea, "good job" with traffic ... I think not ... its just terrible in some spots ... I mean maybe there really wasn't anything else they can do.

Regarding the look and feel ..

Unfortunately ... I have my money on the following: Hi-way 7 will NEVER become interesting ... too much of it is already ruined.

So to a certain degree I think this is a waste of money (the materials used on the sidewalk) ... it'll never be a walkable area ... downtown Markham ... off hi-way 7 has potential. But not Hi-way 7 it self.

If anything this project will just make it worse, I can't believe how wide the street is now !

Look at those sidewalks! Just beautiful, these are the types of sidewalks we should be investing in and not the cheap crap we get. It's time we start investing in our public realm!

Back