News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for everyone. There are various meetings and procedures you have to go through - each requiring a separate court appearance - before you're allowed to set a trial date.

not really. from goldsbie's twitter...

goldsbie lisi trial.JPG

Attachments

• goldsbie lisi trial.JPG
    goldsbie lisi trial.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 523
I know it is old news, but that National Post story is pretty good. Money sure doesn't buy loyalty.

not really. from goldsbie's twitter...

With the greatest of respect, as a criminal defence lawyer I think I'm a tad more familiar with the process than Goldsbie. A judicial pretrial is required before you can set a trial date. And you can't set a judicial pretrial until your first appearance in the SCJ.

With the greatest of respect, as a criminal defence lawyer I think I'm a tad more familiar with the process than Goldsbie. A judicial pretrial is required before you can set a trial date. And you can't set a judicial pretrial until your first appearance in the SCJ.

thank you for the clarification. i guess the process needs to be better understood and better reported by the media.

[–]edditr 4 points 24 minutes ago
So Doug's political comeback begins by having his entourage throw his cancer patient brother under the bus as soon as he exits the hospital. Expect more and more for Doug and company to try to rehab their images now. And journalists are falling for these PR fluff pieces. I mean geez talk about a softball interview. Can we start shaming the journalists here?

[–]dermanus 3 points 17 minutes ago
I hate to say I was thinking the same. Is this really Price clearing his conscience, or is it setting up Doug?

[–]hack4good 1 point 6 minutes ago
This was absolutely my take as well.
The piece seemed spun as an "it's time to take care of myself" tell-all but it contained zero negative information about Doug, and concluded with a mention that Price and Doug are very close and see each other five times a week. I can't imagine that he's suddenly decided to burn his bridges with Doug, so I can only conclude that this was a strategic move to distance Rob from Doug & Co.

Good thinking

I know it is old news, but that National Post story is pretty good. Money sure doesn't buy loyalty.

Not that old. Was the post allowed to say that price was a witness atpretrial of lisi? Im so confused. Is the ban off or was that the drug trial.

And why is/was there a ban any way? I remember when bans were inredibly rare *stamps cane, shakes fist*
and usually were to protect a kid or abused spouse or something sensical.

Last edited:
And why is/was there a ban any way? I remember when bans were inredibly rare *stamps cane, shakes fist*
and usually were to protect a kid or abused spouse or something sensical.

Bans are and have always been routine for preliminary hearings, which is what this ban is on. It's to protect the jury pool from becoming tainted. It will be lifted at the conclusion of the trial.

Bans are and have always been routine for preliminary hearings, which is what this ban is on. It's to protect the jury pool from becoming tainted. It will be lifted at the conclusion of the trial.
Thanks (agsin) was there any impropriety in mentioning pretrial witnesses?

Thanks (agsin) was there any impropriety in mentioning pretrial witnesses?

It's debatable, but I don't think so. The ban prohibits the publication of "evidence", and I don't think the name of a witness is evidence. But I think some may disagree, so I think they're taking a risk.

It's debatable, but I don't think so. The ban prohibits the publication of "evidence", and I don't think the name of a witness is evidence. But I think some may disagree, so I think they're taking a risk.

Goldsbie wondered if this was in breach of the ban. He also said that was his favourite day in court.

That's basically up to the judge a matter of contempt, no? I can think of limited instances where naming of a witness might be considered prejudicial if a case had attracted major coverage and the identity people hinted at the case.

I was taken by the line the Post's Dave Price story about a post-rehab Rob returning to the mayoral race after hearing about a poll that said people liked Doug better. If the Brothers Ford are that competitive with each other, I wonder how Rob is going to react to this story. I wonder if he'll push back against Doug in a public way. That would be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back