News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I just heard some rather sad news. (for me) My friend was at Cellblock yesterday and the waiter told him the bar was closing down, after Pride. This is the only bar me and my middle-ged friends like to go dance, so I guess it sucks to be us! Of course, what's bad for us, is good for the city, so expect Stanly to start rising soon.

But think about the great retail that will be replacing the club! Perhaps a Starbucks? The closest one is a full block away!! Or maybe a pharmacy? Rexall seems to be expanding all over the place... Or wait for it....A bank!!!

I have heard that although the owner originally said he was not going to relocate, he was looking at 2 potential sites to move to...Hopefully that does happen!

I know, I have so many great memories from Zippers too! A source told me that they are looking to relocate and have a few options in mind. I really hope that comes through! Zippers has been a unique, important and very fun space to have in the Village.

I just heard some rather sad news. (for me) My friend was at Cellblock yesterday and the waiter told him the bar was closing down, after Pride. This is the only bar me and my middle-ged friends like to go dance, so I guess it sucks to be us! Of course, what's bad for us, is good for the city, so expect Stanly to start rising soon.

I was at Cellblock today and I was told that the bar is NOT closing tonight but is closing On Thursday, July 7. It seems like the only thing people were talking about was how sad they were that the bar was closing. I didn't realize how many people love this bar. I thought I was the only one!

It was a video of a fun, innocuous event, even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea. That someone would feel the need to come here and call it strange is just baffling to me. Says a lot more about the poster than of the event itself.

Let's all move on and ignore the peanut-gallery-of-one's emojis.

How was Pride this year?

It was a video of a fun, innocuous event, even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea. That someone would feel the need to come here and call it strange is just baffling to me. Says a lot more about the poster than of the event itself.

Let's all move on and ignore the peanut-gallery-of-one's emojis.

How was Pride this year?
Oh, that might even be starting more fights! It seems most of my friends can't agree on the Black Lives Matter protest. It did shake things up a bit and piss off some people but that's not always a bad thing.

Oh, that might even be starting more fights! It seems most of my friends can't agree on the Black Lives Matter protest. It did shake things up a bit and piss off some people but that's not always a bad thing.

Indeed - don't necessary agree with their "requirement" that TPS drop their float (it sets a really bad precedent), but people need to understand that it's always been a political event, not just an excuse to party.

Now, feeling a little in the mood to be contrarian - I wonder what'd happen if they did that at Caribana in the name of providing a safe, inclusive space for LGBT people?

AoD

I must admit, I'm very conflicted about what BLM-TO did at Pride.

I support their right to be heard, and a good chunk of their message, and even the relatively mild civil disobedence - I do not support their demand for exclusivity and exclusion of others - it isn't their call.

And like I've said, try doing it at Caribana in the name of marginalization of the other, and see how far they'd get. The hierarchy of oppression works in many ways.

And of course, Blatch is being a complete a*s about it:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...-in-toronto-pride-grievance-politics-squabble

She is such a piece of work - fit for the Sun in this instance. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out, much less believe that anyone who is black trans is ultra-marginalized. That is a fact.

AoD

Last edited:
Absolutely. But does their right to be heard entitle them to hold for ransom an event that enables many historically marginalized groups (including BLM-TO) the opportunity be heard? It was civil disobedience, but arguably not directed not at those in authority. But then again, isn't their point that Pride has primarily benefited white males, with racialized groups at the bottom of that pyramid, and the urgency of their issues generally, and their issues with Pride specifically, required this action?

I don't want to start a big debate about this, particularly here on a neighbourhood thread, so this is my last post on the issue. But, as I said above, I am quite conflicted. And maybe that's not a bad thing.

I have NO respect for BLM Toronto. I was disgusted by some of the derogatory language used by some of the protesters.

They are no different than the racists they condemn.

A Toronto musician named Sima Xyn claimed she tried to buy a Black Lives Matter shirt and make a donation to the group during Toronto Pride week but was refused service because she is white. http://www.citynews.ca/2016/07/05/b...shirt-because-shes-not-black-identified-folk/

I'm in the same boat with as both of you, as are most of my friends. We can't help thinking that BLM didn't gain any friends, and might have lost a lot of people who were otherwise sympathetic.

At the same time though, the antics might be an "annoyance" but it's really not that much worse than the kinds of disruptions the community dished out to the mainstream back in the 80s. It's fairly mild - and they did try to make it fab with the rainbow smokebombs, so kudos to them for that aspect of it.

What need to be understood is that police is not a monolithic organization - pull enough sh*t, and you'd basically embolden/empowers the worst of their lot (the racists, homophobes, etc) and give them a PR win - there is nothing more they'd like to see than to discredit those in the organization who'd advance reproachment, and better yet, see various groups at each others' throats (cue Blatch and Lorriestein in the article posted above). It would be wise to deny them that win.

AoD

Last edited:
I was at Cellblock today and I was told that the bar is NOT closing tonight but is closing On Thursday, July 7. It seems like the only thing people were talking about was how sad they were that the bar was closing. I didn't realize how many people love this bar. I thought I was the only one!

I've heard from two sources that Zippers is teaming up with Remingtons to take over the old Barn space.

EDIT: And now I'm hearing that that information isn't correct...

Back